Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 12:19:50 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGenerali'm now dr. eigenbom. :)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: i'm now dr. eigenbom. :)  (Read 6420 times)
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2011, 11:16:35 AM »

Try to remember to study along with all drinking and partying.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 01:12:46 PM by Tumetsu » Logged

Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2011, 12:59:19 PM »

Congratulations, Doctor! :D

Although you do look like a wizard. Wizard-Doctor? Witchdoctor? Doctor Wizard?

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2011, 02:25:46 PM »

@tumetsu I did originally plan on solving P!=NP, which is akin to taking over the world. But my enthusiasm is now crushed after realising what an enormous task that is. So I chose graphics and games as my focus. Smiley

@inanimate,@player3: true! but it works both ways, i'm now officially "Dr Dork" to some members of my family.

@battlebeard Some tips for university:
1) If you're already able to code a bit then the first year of CompSci will probably be ridiculously easy. But try to pay attention as there will be little bits and pieces which you have surely missed, and even re-learning what you already know will only reinforce and strengthen that knowledge. I've seen quite a few people switch off because of the easy first year, and then they don't switch back on, but instead maintain an arrogance that prevents them from learning as much as they could.
2) If you don't already know it, start coding in C or C++. Debugging and dealing with compilation errors is one of the biggest issues I've seen with my own students, but its something you can only really deal with through experience - so get started!
3) If you can, choose a broad range of electives, ideally from different faculties. History, maths, biology, its up to you, but it'll give you another angle from which to view game development (and life in general!).
4) Avoid assessed team projects, they only lead to disaster. In my experience. Smiley
5) What @tumetsu said!

@destral Thx! Hmm ... witchdoctor sounds funny, Shaman is bad-ass though...

Zaphos
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2011, 02:29:30 PM »

@tumetsu I did originally plan on solving P!=NP
You should have tried solving P=NP instead, that's where all the money is Wink
C.D Buckmaster
Level 7

Death via video games

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2011, 05:38:05 PM »

Now if you're in a restuarant and someone starts having a heart attack, if someone ask "Is there a doctor here?", you can stand up and say "I'm a Doctor!", then sit back down and finish your meal because you're not that kind of doctor.
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2011, 06:41:01 PM »

@jimmy Touché!
@cd Surely a PhD in computer science qualifies me to debug errors and handle exceptions in organic beings?

:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2011, 07:06:36 PM »

Congrats, that is quite the accomplishment.

Now finish your game. Cheesy
BadgerManufactureInc
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2011, 06:28:36 AM »

Many congratulations Dr Eigenbom!   Wizard
I'm looking forward to seeing where you take your project, Moonman. 
I only completed 2 years of my CS degree.. who know one day I may return.
Pemanent
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2011, 10:56:43 AM »

Jesus H Christ that is a lot of school!!

You can choose to answer this or not because its kinda personal, (I guess?) but how in the world did you pay for that? Loans, I assume, but does having a lot of debt like that feel as bad as people say it does?
I guess if your a wizard you can just conjure money, or sell your wizardry skills to rich people.  Wizard   Hand Money LeftGentleman

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2011, 01:37:41 PM »

university is free in some countries
Nix
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2011, 01:38:34 PM »

You can go to graduate school for free in the US by TA-ing your way through.
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2011, 01:49:57 PM »

@barnaby Thx! And with a lot of good quality lectures online, you don't really need to return - unless the lack of a degree is hindering your career.

@permanent:

In Australia students borrow money, interest free, from the government to pay for uni. There's not much pressure to pay this debt back, as it is usually automatically deducted from your future salary over many years. My debt is around $35k i think, and I don't feel bad for having it -- I'd rather be in debt for my education than in debt for a house/car/whatever.

My 4 PhD years were free, and in addition I was on a 30k/annum scholarship during 3 of the 4 PhD years. Which seemed at the time like a glorious amount of money, although of course 99% of my employed uni friends were earning between 2 and 3 times that. While they were buying houses, cars, etc., I was buying smaller luxuries like xbox games, and a bicycle. Smiley I'm now on roughly the same salary but working half-time so I can make moonman.

Zaphos
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2011, 03:00:45 PM »

You can go to graduate school for free in the US by TA-ing your way through.
In CS you don't have to TA (even if you don't have a scholarship) -- you can be a research assistant for your adviser instead, which basically means 'get paid to do your thesis work' ...
(that is, assuming you work for a professor who has funding, and/or get a grant proposal through)
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2011, 05:38:27 PM »

whats TA? I keep interpreting T&A

Zaphos
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2011, 05:41:27 PM »

teaching assistant -- means you run discussion sections, help grade exams, design assignments, etc.
Nix
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2011, 05:59:24 PM »

in some schools, even teach the classes
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic