Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411594 Posts in 69387 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: YomiKu_0

May 08, 2024, 04:08:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralIGF Thread 2012
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 89
Print
Author Topic: IGF Thread 2012  (Read 162859 times)
hanako
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1180 on: February 25, 2012, 04:56:43 AM »

if a person puts a year into a game, a judge can put an hour into playing it

It will never happen that every game gets played by multiple judges for an hour each, not unless the IGF hires paid interns to play the games as a job - which probably means hugely increasing the entry fees and capping the number of entries allowed into the competition. These changes would drastically alter the character of the IGF, not 'save' it.

(I am obviously not privy to the finances and am simply guessing here, but very few people are going to put in twenty hours unpaid work in a three-week time period, and the overhead of actually hiring playtesters is not cheap.)

How about the IGF just improve the judges.

Keep some metrics on them. Weed out the bottom percents.

They do that already. Aren't you paying attention?

Why not require a short write-up (50-100 words) that gets sent to each entrant. Just some direct feedback in a critical environment like that is worth $100 (to me at least). Then you can have the entrant review the feedback so they can tell you if they actually played the game or not.

They did that previously. Aren't you paying attention? Smiley
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1181 on: February 25, 2012, 08:10:11 AM »

if a person puts a year into a game, a judge can put an hour into playing it

It will never happen that every game gets played by multiple judges for an hour each, not unless the IGF hires paid interns to play the games as a job

i already gave an estimate previously for this. let's say a judge is assigned to 18 games. 18 hours in the span of one month is half an hour a day. thats's hardly a job -- even a part time job. so i'm not sure what you mean here

st33d
« Reply #1182 on: February 25, 2012, 08:14:26 AM »

What if you submitted a game that was ten seconds long? Would they have to play it for an hour?

But of course no one would be that mean  Roll Eyes
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: February 25, 2012, 08:42:53 AM »

i dont think anyone would spend $95 for that.

but as part of a pirate kart...

i wonder how much play that got

Dragonmaw
« Reply #1184 on: February 25, 2012, 10:29:52 AM »

Don't really like this.

Instead of assigning a list of games to people, just have their current assigned games show up and nothing else when they log into the judging page (until they complete their assigned games). I fathom some judges just exploit the opportunity to play some unreleased indie games.

This is actually what happens. Judges have to find a tiny little link if they want to see all of the games.

Why not require a short write-up (50-100 words) that gets sent to each entrant. Just some direct feedback in a critical environment like that is worth $100 (to me at least). Then you can have the entrant review the feedback so they can tell you if they actually played the game or not.

They did this my first year, then stopped. I liked it, but I guess it wasn't working.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1185 on: February 25, 2012, 11:40:09 AM »

What if you submitted a game that was ten seconds long? Would they have to play it for an hour?

But of course no one would be that mean  Roll Eyes

'to completion or one hour' is what i meant. although any good 5 minute art game has multiple endings / outcomes, too

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1186 on: February 25, 2012, 11:43:08 AM »

Don't really like this.

yeah, i don't either. i think it's better to change the attitude and setting a more positive tone, expelling bad judges as examples to the rest of them, and having a general guideline to give each game a fair shake -- not tracking people

phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1187 on: February 25, 2012, 12:16:54 PM »

So in light of this issue with the judges, is it possible that people will be seeking (and receiving) refunds?

:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1188 on: February 25, 2012, 01:08:22 PM »

har har har har

seek and ye shall recieve an email telling you "no"
cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: February 25, 2012, 01:10:23 PM »

It is all a conspiracy by the IGF to get less entries next year.  Ninja

Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1190 on: February 25, 2012, 01:20:57 PM »

So in light of this issue with the judges, is it possible that people will be seeking (and receiving) refunds?
I second this question. I reed in this thread that the submission price was only to set a "bar" on the game's quality, the IGF has other sources to get their founding. Besides that giving money to a game that was poorly judged is the least that IGF could do.

ham and brie
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: February 25, 2012, 01:30:53 PM »

It is all a conspiracy by the IGF to get less entries next year.  Ninja

More like less volunteers for judging, seeing how they're vilified.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1192 on: February 25, 2012, 02:09:57 PM »

i don't think anyone is vilifying judges in general at all -- only the bad judges who don't put in the effort, which is a small percent of them

Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: February 25, 2012, 02:17:05 PM »

if you actually read their responses (and didn't just react to their tone), you'd realize that you're all blowing this out of proportion by quite a bit

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1194 on: February 25, 2012, 02:26:17 PM »

what it looks like

what it is

relevant:

Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: February 25, 2012, 02:38:51 PM »

On a different note, since the IGF guys are asking for examples of overlooked gems: where are The Iconoclasts and Dust: An Elysian Tail in the finalists? Both are single-dev games and they both look awesome. Not that they were necessarily "under-judged," but still

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: February 25, 2012, 02:48:50 PM »

Dust really needed a visual nomination. i mean, come on.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1197 on: February 25, 2012, 03:11:04 PM »

Dust really needed a visual nomination. i mean, come on.

ya, it didn't even get an honorable mention, even though it has like a team of animators and better animation than most AAA games

Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1198 on: February 25, 2012, 03:17:28 PM »

at first whenever anyone mentioned dust i was like,

"The game that looks like pokemon rule 34, fan art culture, furry stuff??"

but now i like it.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1199 on: February 25, 2012, 03:46:15 PM »

i just want to point out that this game got an honorable mention for visuals, whereas dust or the iconoclasts both didn't:

fader:

c.f.

dust:

iconoclasts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv8-RZ3vljw

my theory is that the visual jurists are mostly modern artists; there can't be any other explanation

Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 89
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic