Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:24:42 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralIGF Thread 2012
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 89
Print
Author Topic: IGF Thread 2012  (Read 160846 times)
Danrul
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #580 on: January 11, 2012, 07:57:08 PM »

you know I <3 ya fish.
hanako
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #581 on: January 11, 2012, 07:59:51 PM »

Wait, who's defending who as a group? Is there a roster somewhere? Gosh, it's so confusing trying to figure out one's own hierarchy in the cabal.

(Yes of course there's a cabal. There are multiple cabals. There are unknown unkonwn cabals! I don't belong to the ones I don't know about. OR DO I?)
Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #582 on: January 11, 2012, 08:00:10 PM »

you know I <3 ya fish.

WAY TO SUCK THE DICK OF THE INDIE ELITE.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #583 on: January 11, 2012, 08:02:13 PM »

Wait, who's defending who as a group? Is there a roster somewhere? Gosh, it's so confusing trying to figure out one's own hierarchy in the cabal.

i think danrul means indies who go to the gdc every year even if they don't have a game in the finals of the igf -- we could call them "gdc indies" i guess, that's more descriptive than "indie elites"

fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #584 on: January 11, 2012, 08:03:44 PM »

what's with all the labels, paul?

aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #585 on: January 11, 2012, 08:05:12 PM »

This whole argument has gone on for years and it still doesn't matter, because afterward, those that realize their full potential return to work and challenge themselves and fight through whatever adversity they have to deal with in order to do what they want, while those that squander it replace the dissatisfaction with their work for scandal, conspiracy or excuses as a means of coping with their unmet expectations.

Ashkin
« Reply #586 on: January 11, 2012, 08:05:57 PM »

I have a dream that one day this forum will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all indies are created equal."
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #587 on: January 11, 2012, 08:06:51 PM »

Ed Mcmillen only got to where he is today because he knew ME.

Dragonmaw
« Reply #588 on: January 11, 2012, 08:07:55 PM »

me and my friends are better than you.

there, i said it.

Nobody is better than me, so, it's impossible.

Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #589 on: January 11, 2012, 08:09:19 PM »

Whether it's intentional or not, what you're saying enforces a few things and leaves a few things unsaid.  You people aren't instigating social interaction, you're not talking to new people, and you're sure as fuck not the ones looking for new people to talk to.   You don't go to a tigjam or a GDC event and then try and find new people to talk to, you just sit in your existing social circles and wait for people to talk to you.

I am friends with many of these people, and have had zero commercial success.  They aren't necessarily looking for new people, because at a certain point some start to be recognized by other developers they don't know at events like GDC and engaged, which is tiring.

That's also why some are aloof -- we're a bunch of computer nerds and a lot of us are introverts.  So don't take it the wrong way if someone brushes you off, either.  :\  A few might be genuinely full of themselves, but if so they're a small minority.

Also, for fun, I propose the term "undies" for the indie elite or 1% or whatever.

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
MMVFM
« Reply #590 on: January 11, 2012, 08:11:55 PM »

This whole argument has gone on for years and it still doesn't matter, because afterward, those that realize their full potential return to work and challenge themselves and fight through whatever adversity they have to deal with in order to do what they want, while those that squander it replace the dissatisfaction with their work for scandal, conspiracy or excuses as a means of coping with their unmet expectations.

So there's no point in trying to make something better (by ridding it of cronyism) because people will still make games..? This argument is very weird... is there a problem with cronyism? If we can agree there's a problem, we can deal with it. If we're just going to spam the forum with "lol u think we r illuminati" like your buddies Fish and Tyler here*, we can't even discuss it. I don't see how this "doesn't matter."

* just assuming you're buddies. maybe you're not.
DavidCaruso
YEEEAAAHHHHHH
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #591 on: January 11, 2012, 08:13:51 PM »

Someone should seriously make a strategy game where you play as all these different factions and the goal is to stop everyone else from getting popular and winning at IGF. Weapons could be replaced by marketing tools like tech buzzwords ("procedural generation") or 8-bit nostalgic 30-year-old appeal, and when you get enough money you could step it up a Notch by hiring hitmen or bribing TIGSource moderators to edit out negative criticism of your game and give you frontpage publicity instead of your other indiependent opponents. Trade and diplomacy could also be changed thematically to forming social connections at conventions with big-name developers so you can gain perks in art, programming, etc. which help you meet deadlines and raise your popularity meter. The game ends when you win at IGF, get picked up by Steam, and recieve your first 10/10 IGN review.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 08:36:50 PM by DavidCaruso » Logged

Steel Assault devlog - NES-style 2D action platformer: successfully Kickstarted!
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #592 on: January 11, 2012, 08:14:14 PM »

what's with all the labels, paul?

she asked what group danrul was talking about. i can either respond with a category of people, or with a list of names, the list of names would take too long to type out, so i used a category

but as danrul said, the gdc indies are the ones who (ironically) coined the term indie elites, in order to make light of the people who comment on them seem like conspiracy theorists. they labeled themselves that. i don't particularly like that label

so i was proposing an alternative label that's more accurate, since if we have to talk about them at all it might as well be a word that doesn't make people who believe it exists sound crazy

so basically they labeled themselves, i'm just saying that label is inaccurate, and suggesting a more (but still not perfectly) accurate label, in the context of hpapillon asking who cosmicfool was referring to

Dragonmaw
« Reply #593 on: January 11, 2012, 08:14:34 PM »

I accept not bribes. Except blowjobs.
dum
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #594 on: January 11, 2012, 08:15:33 PM »

4. Don't burn bridges or choose enemies.  Anger and bile achieve nothing.

its funny cos thats all alec trollowka and phil fish does

also if youre living in california stop living in san fran or whatever the whiteys told you to live in its for faggots
esc
Level 3

BAM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #595 on: January 11, 2012, 08:17:08 PM »

is it possible to have gifs in responses disabled?

deathtotheweird
« Reply #596 on: January 11, 2012, 08:18:18 PM »

me and my friends are better than you.

there, i said it.

How can an egotistical and probably depressed alcoholic hipster be better than anyone?

I call shenanigans.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #597 on: January 11, 2012, 08:19:42 PM »

allen i think you're projecting -- don't you drink like a bottle of vodka every night? haha

Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #598 on: January 11, 2012, 08:20:49 PM »

FREEDOM OF SPEECH

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #599 on: January 11, 2012, 08:21:14 PM »

I know some people hate the drama or whatever, but I think we'd be worse off if it didn't happen. Maybe it is just me, but I learn a lot from all the arguments that occur. I'm an indie game noob, so a lot of the controversy helps me think about things I don't or in ways that I wouldn't have.

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 89
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic