Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411492 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 04:51:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralIGF Thread 2012
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 89
Print
Author Topic: IGF Thread 2012  (Read 162516 times)
Matthew
Rapture
Administrator
Level 3

Milling About

View Profile WWW
« Reply #620 on: January 11, 2012, 11:10:01 PM »

The largest and most obvious bias is selecting for merit.

Paul: Popular games probably do get more attention from main judges. It's irrelevant in the juries, though, and the juries pick the finalists.

Matthew Wegner
Currently: Aztez
Founder, Flashbang Studios
Partner, Indie Fund
Editor, Fun-Motion
Co-Chair, IGF
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #621 on: January 11, 2012, 11:59:00 PM »

are the juries influenced by the number of nominations a game gets? e.g. if one game is nominated by 3 judges for audio, and another game was nominated by only 1 judge for audio, would they take that into account when deciding who to nominate for audio?

Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #622 on: January 12, 2012, 12:25:40 AM »

are the juries influenced by the number of nominations a game gets? e.g. if one game is nominated by 3 judges for audio, and another game was nominated by only 1 judge for audio, would they take that into account when deciding who to nominate for audio?

we are given a list of every game that was nominated even once, sorted by number of votes

it is taken into consideration but only as a general guide, juries were free to vote for whoever, other than IN GENERAL most of the nomination counts tended to coincide with the games that were good for that category anyway, especially for tech.
Rob Lach
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #623 on: January 12, 2012, 01:50:28 AM »

To me the IGF is a bit misguided. What's happening is that for some it's the "oscars of indie games", but that really doesn't coincide with what it's suggested to be about:

We wanted to create a similar event to Sundance for independent game developers - and that's just what we've succeeded in doing with the Independent Games Festival, which has awarded hundred of thousands of dollars in cash prizes (and brought major exposure and a much higher profile) to a multitude of indie and student game developers who enter.

For some betting $100 on your game to possibly win $3000 is risk a developer might take just to get their game completed.

I'm not suggesting these games aren't deserving of the praise that one associates with the IGF (they most definitely do), but it seems like the intentions of the IGF are below the quality and presence those types of games already have. I don't think the success of FEZ or Spelunky will be dictated by a $3000 cash prize, but moreso with the publicity an IGF win will give you.

Personally I believe the IGF is trying to accomplish too much. The way I see it, there should be a competition for helping developers finish their games and keep making games, and another that awards excellence. The first competition would be for in development or non-commerical titles along with the cash prizes (which would still allow entry multiple times), while the other would be for near release games with only an award.

The film industry and the game industry (especially the indie game world) are too different to be modeling award events on each other. There is this lingering thought that games are the next step up from films, with developers in the indie and AAA world clawing for the same legitimacy films have. I think we all know that the potential of what games can do is so far surpassed what games are currently doing, and film (which is an already mature medium) will never touch the artistic influence a game will have once the medium matures.

So really, the IGF shouldn't be the "Sundance of games", as games don't need a Sundance, they need their own thing.

Take for instance my game POP which hit the Nuovo honorable mentions list. I have no intention of ever selling this game (I'll just release it for free once it's done). I entered purely on giving myself a hard deadline to work for with the potential of recognition for trying something different and if I had won the prize would have freed up the time I'd normally use freelancing (so I could pay the bills) to make games.

No one entering Sundance will be releasing their film for free, they haven't evolved past that point yet. The film industry is still stuck in pre-internet times where distribution required fat stacks (hence their massive budget dedicated to enforcing copyrights).

Ultimately though, I think the IGF will continue to adjust and evolve, absorbing grievances as they come up. The introduction of Nuovo and the juries have been steps in the right direction.

Eldboll
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #624 on: January 12, 2012, 01:51:08 AM »

The Iconoclasts :C

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #625 on: January 12, 2012, 02:17:38 AM »

I just read this whole discussion, it took quite a while, and I noticed something really odd. At the start there were a few conspiracy theorists saying that there is an 'indie elite' who help each other out based on their secret clubs and close knit connections, and those that were being accused of being in this 'indie elite' saying that it's not true, there are no secret clubs and that they don't have all these insider connections.

Then about half way through the so called indie elites just went, fuck it! You're right. You got us. There are indie elite secret clubs, and connections are very important in improving your games profile, but it's not exclusive. All you have to do is take a week out and have a trip to GDC and we'll choose the indies we like to join our secret gang.

It was like the president just walked out of the Whitehouse and went "Hey guys! You know that Area 51 you're always going on about? Well that thing is full of aliens and alien tech."

I'm not really adding to the discussion, I just wanted to comment that I found the way the 'indie elite' flip-floped in the middle highly amusing
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 04:38:27 AM by Oddball » Logged

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #626 on: January 12, 2012, 02:33:23 AM »

You don't have to be nominated to get a lot out of GDC.

(...)

My family is not rich.  My mother lost most of what she owned to a flood in 2008, leaved her mired in debt, and my father died of brain cancer the next year.  At the time of my first GDC I was doing a $10 per hour research job, though I had the blessing of meal center food so I was able to save up.  As of today I don't know how I'll be paying the rent at the end of this month, and I'm STILL going to GDC.

Man, while I'm sad to hear you had it rough (condolences for your father, unfortunately I know how it is to lose someone close Sad), you have to understand that situation of someone in the US is still vastly different from the rest of the world.

For example, you throw $10 per hour as if it's little, while here I haven't earned even that much in a high-position job. The average seems to be more around $4/h. And we're not living in the ass of the world either, just a less developed economy. I may be a serious and a somewhat successful developer, but spending a quarter of my yearly salary on going to the GDC simply for the networking, doesn't sound like a viable investment. There are also many countries poorer than mine. I don't think you see many indies from Romania, Russia or Lithuania on the GDC either. And I assure you they do exist, work just as hard, and are as talented.

Really, the relative cost/gain ratio of the GDC isn't the same for everyone or even in the same ballpark. And it doesn't have much to do with willingness (even if dedication indeed goes a long way).
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 04:30:34 AM by TeeGee » Logged

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #627 on: January 12, 2012, 02:48:21 AM »

Edit: Also, why isn't allen banned? His posts have no actual content, just insults and trolling.

Allen's posts are colorful and offensive but also realistic and serve to ground the discussion, imho.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
Ooops
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #628 on: January 12, 2012, 03:10:58 AM »

I must stay I stand firmly behind everything that Teegee said in this thread. He speaks wisely.
I have said earlier in the past that a somehwat close circle of so-called "Indie Elite" was normal and not problematic.

However, I now see that some (certainly not all) of them are acting a bit spoiled and show little ability to place themselves in the shoes of the less fortunate (both in terms of money and success) around the world. Just because you live far away from the hype, cannot afford a $1500 trip and/or haven't met success yet does not mean you're not dedicated.

I don't speak for myself, as I consider myself fortunate enough and have not developped anything that makes me think it would be worthwile to attend IGF, but I could see the offense nonetheless.
brog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #629 on: January 12, 2012, 04:02:05 AM »

Its an actual investment to go even if you weren't for a contest... Its still extremely worth it for how much it costs, there is nothing else that you could spend your money on that would get you as much long term gain as you do for going to GDC once.
I went to GDC last year.  I had a nice time, but apart from being in EGW I wouldn't say I got more out of it than, say, going to TIGJamUK or BIGJam locally.  (EGW was a cool opportunity and meant I got to know some people who I wouldn't have if I'd just gone on my own.)

Also: privilege is invisible to those who have it.  Story of our times.
st33d
« Reply #630 on: January 12, 2012, 04:10:52 AM »

I doubt I'd get very far with my broken social skills. My OCD brain begins to shut down once a room hits a certain capacity of people.

At least on the internet it feels like no one is there.
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #631 on: January 12, 2012, 04:23:57 AM »

I doubt I'd get very far with my broken social skills. My OCD brain begins to shut down once a room hits a certain capacity of people.

At least on the internet it feels like no one is there.
Same, I hate meeting new ppl  Embarrassed

Rob Lach
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #632 on: January 12, 2012, 05:17:20 AM »

Unfortunately there's a bit of internal politics in everything, indie games included.

st33d
« Reply #633 on: January 12, 2012, 05:27:29 AM »

Sooooo....

Shall we start placing wagers on who will win?  Wink Hand Money Right
leonelc29
« Reply #634 on: January 12, 2012, 05:41:50 AM »

i'm standing behind TeeGee and raising a board with writing that say "We are not rich people!"

other than that, social skill are one of the most important thing if you were to meet with random people, like what st33d said.

i think going to stuff like TIG jam might be better than GDC, as the people attend is lesser than in GDC, thus allowing better communication.

Sooooo....

Shall we start placing wagers on who will win?  Wink Hand Money Right
i do hope Atom Zombie Smasher or Gunpoint win at design category.
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #635 on: January 12, 2012, 07:26:28 AM »

I hope that Fez won't win Smiley

dislekcia
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #636 on: January 12, 2012, 07:31:03 AM »

i'm standing behind TeeGee and raising a board with writing that say "We are not rich people!"

Um. You do realise that where I come from, posting on TIGsource makes you the indie elite that us lowly scrubs could never aspire to meet, right?

Then I actually met some people I thought would never talk to me and found out how wrong I was.
Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #637 on: January 12, 2012, 07:32:36 AM »

At first, I was hoping that Fez wouldn't win because I dislike Phil's internet persona. After seeing a lot of the indiegame: the movie stuff, I wasn't as against him winning anymore. However, now that I see the finalists, I just want Spelunky to win...

Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #638 on: January 12, 2012, 07:38:49 AM »

I hope that Fez won't win Smiley

The impact that could have in here would be catastrophic.
Hand Money LeftGomez Hand Money Right

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #639 on: January 12, 2012, 08:01:26 AM »

I think that Fez has a high chance of winning. Despite the controversy here, it looks like a really polished and cool game.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 89
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic