Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 05:29:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralIGF Thread 2012
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 89
Print
Author Topic: IGF Thread 2012  (Read 162502 times)
mankoon
Level 4

And that is how you get to Llama School.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #640 on: January 12, 2012, 08:05:55 AM »

The only thing I was surprised about was the absence of Dust: An Elysian Tail in the visual art category. The fact that it didn't even get an honourable mention struck me as odd.
That's really upsetting. It's such a beautiful looking game.

But... What if the IGF didn't award any prize money and was judged by capable people outside the Indieverse. You know what would happen? You automatically cut out the mobile game canon fodder that want an unrealistic chance at the prize money. Less judges would skip playing games. You'd only get the people who actually want the respect of the judges. But they'd have to be pretty awesome judges. NOTE: This is an unrealistic day dream about an imaginary festival with your most favorite game developers from back in the day as judges...

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #641 on: January 12, 2012, 08:09:26 AM »

I think that Fez has a high chance of winning. Despite the controversy here, it looks like a really polished and cool game.
When everyone can agree with the statement that Fez is polished I think that coolness of a game is subjective matter. I.e. for me Fez isn't cool and I wouldn't play it (nor most of other platformers)

st33d
« Reply #642 on: January 12, 2012, 08:23:57 AM »

It's a bit said that people often want to crucify someone who was only trying to make people happy.
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #643 on: January 12, 2012, 08:27:35 AM »

Yes, it's really sad when that happens.

Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #644 on: January 12, 2012, 08:29:59 AM »

I assume you're speaking about Phil? If yes, I'll agree to apologize if his game makes me happier than his personality does. I have respect for him as a designer, but I won't respect him as a person until he can act civil.

However, I'm afraid that the success that will come from Fez won't help the ego.  Gomez

Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #645 on: January 12, 2012, 08:34:22 AM »

I agree. While I love his art and (some) of his music taste, and while I think that I'll enjoy Fez I don't like Phil's personality. Same thing with Jon Blow. And there's the case of Jason Rhorer, which I like his personality but I don't like the games that he's most known from. (Passage and Gravitation) But I do like Sleep is Death and Inside a Star-filled Sky.

st33d
« Reply #646 on: January 12, 2012, 08:35:28 AM »

I was talking about Notch  Shrug
Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #647 on: January 12, 2012, 08:39:56 AM »

Well...my opinion still applies.  Shrug

Though again, it could just be an internet persona. I haven't met him in person so I won't be quick to judge. Ed Mcmillen seems to be down to Earth and fairly humble about his accomplishments and he seems to be good friends with Phil from what I've seen/heard. Either way, I appreciate his game and think that he is a talented designer.

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #648 on: January 12, 2012, 08:43:57 AM »

Too bad. As I already did this:

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
st33d
« Reply #649 on: January 12, 2012, 08:44:41 AM »

Just kidding, I was being as general as possible.

It's true though, there's no need to be a dick about being successful. But even if you aren't a dick, a lot of people will de facto brand you as one.
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #650 on: January 12, 2012, 08:46:45 AM »

Too bad. As I already did this:

Thanks.

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #651 on: January 12, 2012, 08:47:18 AM »

Hand Thumbs Up Left

Also: I'm going to be disappointed if that won't be the next year's IGF poster.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 08:52:53 AM by TeeGee » Logged

Tom Grochowiak
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #652 on: January 12, 2012, 08:52:32 AM »

And RE:  GDC costs--you can volunteer, and scrape together for CA housing or a shared hostel or simply couch surf.  If you can't pull off GDC you simply don't care enough to make it happen.  I'm sorry, but it's the truth.
Get the fuck off your high horse. I swear, some americans out there completely screw the world's vision from americans. Christ. If you were in front of me, I'd bitch slap you just like you deserve.

Yeah.
jonschubbe
Level 0

My observations become something you can observe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #653 on: January 12, 2012, 08:53:42 AM »

Shocked I too am shocked and highly disappointed Dust didn't get into the art category. I haven't played the actual game so none of the high exposure glowing filters might not be on it to make it look even cooler like in the trailer, but the character animation and environments and special effects look total b0$$

@ Gomez , I know it's never going to change and some people have their "personal" reasons, but stop trying to prevent people from being proud of their achievements. The last thing people should be doing to developers is make them feel completely awful for trying to make their game a bigger success unless they are making a Farmville clone or printing signs on park benches like Angry Birds

jonschubbe.com
closuregame.com
Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #654 on: January 12, 2012, 08:53:51 AM »

And RE:  GDC costs--you can volunteer, and scrape together for CA housing or a shared hostel or simply couch surf.  If you can't pull off GDC you simply don't care enough to make it happen.  I'm sorry, but it's the truth.
Get the fuck off your high horse. I swear, some americans out there completely screw the world's vision from americans. FISH. If you were in front of me, I'd bitch slap you just like you deserve.

EDIT: ...LEVEL UP  Gomez
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 08:59:48 AM by Zack Bell » Logged

st33d
« Reply #655 on: January 12, 2012, 09:02:10 AM »

Okay, now someone animate the cross rotating and Fez doing his slow climbing animation up the side of it.
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #656 on: January 12, 2012, 09:04:48 AM »

In before Phubans drops in and says it should be him on the cross.

Tom Grochowiak
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #657 on: January 12, 2012, 09:05:23 AM »

Phil Fish: He did it for our sins. He might not walk on water, but he jumps into the pool.

PTibz
Level 0

Business Person

View Profile WWW
« Reply #658 on: January 12, 2012, 09:07:33 AM »

Octodad!
President/Community Manager at Young Horses
Jabberwocky
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #659 on: January 12, 2012, 09:09:54 AM »

Everyone reacts to the disappointment of losing a little differently --
 Cry  "I guess I just suck."
 Lips Sealed  "Conspiracy!"
 Evil  "Fuck that guy who won, I'm going to tear out his jugular."
 Wizard  "No worries.  Move on."

The wizard guy is Zen.  
Be like him and you'll be happier and more productive.

Besides, I think the IGF is great for indie games.  Even those of us who don't win benefit.  Each successful indie game helps loosen the stranglehold big publishers have on the industry.

I figure the judging process seems mostly honest.  A lot of popular choices (Pirate Kart, Prison Architect) probably would have been selected if cronyism was rampant.

Looking at the winners, I do think there may be a bias towards a certain type of game.  I'm kind of a weird fringe indie - a starving ex-industry lone wolf kinda guy making a fairly traditional game.  I suspect some of the coolness and innovation of my game might have been passed over by the IGF judges because its a big complex 3D space epic.  My installer ftp logs suggest some of the judges didn't even play my game, which is kind of a drag.

But anything as big as the IGF, involving so many people and judges ain't gonna be perfect.  I'm ok with the IGF being what it is, and recognizing what it does.  Just because it didn't recognize me personally (EVEN THO I MADE THE BEST GAME IN THE WORLD!!!  Wink ) doesn't mean it's a bad thing.  If you get hung up on that kinda shit, life as a game dev ain't gonna be pretty for you.  Cuz you gotta plow through a lot of rejection and criticism to get your game out there.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 09:26:26 AM by Jabberwocky » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 89
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic