Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 04:40:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralIGF Thread 2012
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 89
Print
Author Topic: IGF Thread 2012  (Read 162362 times)
Bandages
« Reply #760 on: January 13, 2012, 12:37:01 PM »

r/spacedicks

Epileptic

wh

wh
h

..h...
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #761 on: January 13, 2012, 01:51:36 PM »

I want to apologize to everyone I may have slighted by bitching about the IGF. The winners were sound choices, and if there's anything I need to focus on this year it's learning to fall more graciously and counting my own victories instead of making a big deal of the failures. So again, I'm sorry for causing a stir and kudos to the finalists.

Ashkin
« Reply #762 on: January 13, 2012, 04:01:42 PM »

Gabriel's right. Not all of us have the privilege to go to TIGjam.
Theophilus
« Reply #763 on: January 13, 2012, 04:04:57 PM »

ink.inc
« Reply #764 on: January 13, 2012, 04:05:25 PM »

NEXT YEAR THOUGH

NEXT YEAR
Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #765 on: January 13, 2012, 04:28:06 PM »

I'M GOING NEXT YEAR.

Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #766 on: January 13, 2012, 04:34:36 PM »

IM GOING...

...IN SPIRIT  Noir

Dragonmaw
« Reply #767 on: January 13, 2012, 04:37:39 PM »

I'm coming on this forum.
Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #768 on: January 13, 2012, 04:38:14 PM »

Why can't I be friends with all of those people?  Cry

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #769 on: January 13, 2012, 04:43:39 PM »

Because you don't know the secret handshake and the formula. Honestly, you could read the thread before posting such silly questions Roll Eyes.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #770 on: January 13, 2012, 04:52:37 PM »

I know it's sad that I asked...It's even more sad that I've actually read all *checks page count* FUCKING 53 pages of this.  Facepalm

phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #771 on: January 13, 2012, 05:56:01 PM »

Hey phubans, I know this a bit late, but I was thinking about it overnight, and you know what? From my perspective, you are one of the indie elite, or at least you have to power to be if you really wanted to.

You're friends with Derek Yu.

You're friends with Cactus.

You live in San Francisco which is where most of the famous indies live (or atleast in the Bay area), and where GDC takes place.

You go to TIGJam and have met all the people there, like Ed and Tommy, Chevy Ray, Rich Vreeland, Matthew Wegner, and everyone else.

Yet you keep complaining. You are where many of us dream of being and you still think the world is out to get you. I don't know, maybe it's a solipsism thing, but I think if you spent more time working on ambitious projects you would shoot to the top pretty quick.

I don't mean for this to sound rude because I think you're great, just trying to share my perspective.

You're right, and I shocked myself with my behavior. Instead of counting my blessings and focusing on the successes, friends, and great times I've had being a part of the community, I slipped into this state of mind where I felt like I was a jealous outsider all over again, fighting for the good of the underdogs or something. I really don't know what got into me, or how I lost sight of everything for that one moment. I guess I was just a pretty sore loser who got carried away with ranting on the Internet.

When I look back on the whole thing with a little more rationality, I'm not even sure why I acted the way I did; I mean, Spunk & Moxie isn't my dream game or anything, and I know it's not the kind of game that the IGF would typically select, and I think I knew all of those things going in, which is why I'm surprised I was so upset to find out it wasn't even worth an honorable mention for the mobile category. I still maintain that it might be a better game than some of their selections, but overall the winners are all worthy. And to answer the question that someone asked on TIGIRC of, "Why is phubans so proud of his shitty game(s)" well, I take pride in my work and I obviously take game development very seriously, so it hurts to feel irrelevant, even if I'm just blowing things out of proportion or getting caught up in bad old habits/ways of thinking.

It's tough going from being the only kid in my school that ever wanted to do this to growing up and facing a world where it seems like everybody wants to do it, and feeling drowned out by the competition. Sure, you can say that losing just means one needs to try even harder, and that's exactly what I intend to do. Whether I lose or fail at it, I intend to make games as long as I draw breath. That's just who I am. And I just want to say thanks to you, Gabe, and all my friends, for being there for me on my journey of growing and being my true self... Not the asshole I've been in the past.

Rob Lach
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #772 on: January 13, 2012, 06:47:16 PM »

You're friends with Derek Yu.

You're friends with Cactus.

[...] where GDC takes place.

You go to TIGJam and have met all the people there, like Ed and Tommy, Chevy Ray, Rich Vreeland, Matthew Wegner, and everyone else.

Oh jeez, I'm part of the Indie Elite.

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #773 on: January 13, 2012, 07:15:24 PM »

Phuban's change of heart is refreshing and I'm posting because I want to congratulate him for finding this moment of inner peace.

I think this attitude is the one that is most likely to bring future success!
Rob Lach
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #774 on: January 13, 2012, 08:41:22 PM »

Phuban's change of heart is refreshing and I'm posting because I want to congratulate him for finding this moment of inner peace.

People that have met Phubans know that there is quite a disparity between his internet persona and real life personality.

Chris Pavia
« Reply #775 on: January 13, 2012, 08:44:16 PM »

Play him in Madhouse, then you will know the REAL Phubans...
Ashkin
« Reply #776 on: January 13, 2012, 08:55:09 PM »

I love happy endings Tears of Joy
Bandages
« Reply #777 on: January 13, 2012, 09:13:45 PM »

I love happy endings Tears of Joy

Hand Thumbs Up Left Tiger Hand Thumbs Up Right
Dragonmaw
« Reply #778 on: January 13, 2012, 09:25:09 PM »

If I am not in Madhouse 2 as a villain I will be very upset.
Ooops
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #779 on: January 14, 2012, 02:15:25 AM »

Exactly. It's very common to get carried away when you're in a bad mood. It's much less common to reckon you've gone too far and express regrets.  Hand Clap Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 89
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic