Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 11:17:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsWah! I Want the Next Compo! Do you?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Wah! I Want the Next Compo! Do you?  (Read 25142 times)
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2008, 08:49:56 AM »

Yeah, me and Lazer have our game mostly planned out already.

Chainclaw
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2008, 04:52:40 PM »

I call dibs on Portal.

I had actually been working on Portal for the 2600 recently. I called that project off because I just wasn't feeling it, though.

increpare
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2008, 01:06:25 AM »

I had actually been working on Portal for the 2600 recently. I called that project off because I just wasn't feeling it, though.

My attempt appeared about a month too early, alas Sad

(and goddamnit I have to get a final release out: all I have to do is to compile it with sound libraries...but...compiling...libraries...lame (for reasons I don't want to go into)).

Whatever I do for this compo is going to have to be pretty quick I think (in addition to having learned a lesson from the last one, I now have very little time indeed generally).
FARTRON
Level 4

the last man in space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2008, 07:27:21 PM »

I am so glad.  I am only sad that the theme kind of discounts some of the high-falutin ideas that I would have liked to implement.  After all, how many bootlegs have generative music, or even competent music at all?

Demake Monkey Island 2.

Everything that was once directly lived has receded into a representation. - debord
esc
Level 3

BAM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2009, 05:16:23 AM »

Bootleg Demakes begins in August.  Start gearing up. Gentleman
Will there be a compo before that one though?

genericuser
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2009, 05:27:21 AM »

July 20. 2008.

I think you're a little late.
esc
Level 3

BAM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2009, 05:29:33 AM »

July 20. 2008.

I think you're a little late.
Oh shit haha!

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2009, 06:16:56 AM »

Sooner or later one of the millionaire philanthropists* who hang out here will offer $100 for first place, and then everything will go NUTS.  :D

an interesting idea would be to have a paypal 'pool' that anyone could contribute to, and the winner (or winning 3) will get that as a prize. And those of us who have made commercial indie games can always offer free copies of our games to the winners and such.

but on the other hand a prize may make the contest more competitive and introduce cheating tactics (like getting all your friends to vote for you) and that'd be undesirable, so I think it may work best without a prize.

muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2009, 06:47:13 AM »

Yeah. I'm against prizes. I really like the informal flavor the compos here have.
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2009, 08:13:38 AM »

The original B-games contest had a prize.

muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2009, 08:17:33 AM »

Really? What was it?
esc
Level 3

BAM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2009, 08:23:49 AM »

Really? What was it?
google dude, google:
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=411.0

genericuser
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2009, 09:02:48 AM »

WHY PRIZES DON'T REALLY WORK FOR NORMAL TIGCOMPOS:
coolguy54> hey man vote for my game for that TIG compo
l33td00d> what do you get if you win?
coolguy54> 50 dollars
l33td00d> sure I'll vote
coolguy54>  Grin

WHY PRIZES WORKED FOR THE B-GAME COMPO:

coolguy54> uh...a MDickie game?
l33td00d> ... WTF

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2009, 08:41:39 PM »

WHY PRIZES DON'T REALLY WORK FOR NORMAL TIGCOMPOS:
coolguy54> 50 dollars
l33td00d> sure I'll vote
coolguy54>  Grin

WHY PRIZES WORKED FOR THE B-GAME COMPO:

coolguy54> uh...a MDickie game?
l33td00d> ... WTF

:D

God damn. Hit the nail on the head with that one.

Also, Esquar, the next compo is YOUR's, ey? Big call. I'll definitely be watching you for B Games.... TWO!
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2009, 09:08:08 PM »

I am so glad.  I am only sad that the theme kind of discounts some of the high-falutin ideas that I would have liked to implement.  After all, how many bootlegs have generative music, or even competent music at all?

Demake Monkey Island 2.

It's been done. (Although without the spiffy iMuse system that is your actual point.)

[platypus]
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2009, 10:09:40 AM »

an interesting idea would be to have a paypal 'pool' that anyone could contribute to, and the winner (or winning 3) will get that as a prize. And those of us who have made commercial indie games can always offer free copies of our games to the winners and such.

but on the other hand a prize may make the contest more competitive and introduce cheating tactics (like getting all your friends to vote for you) and that'd be undesirable, so I think it may work best without a prize.

I think winning a TIGsource compo by itself is the best price one can get. Think about the pride and glory. You'll get all the chicks you want only by mentioning it. You'll get any job in the world only by putting it into your CV. Mothers want you to kiss their babies. People everywhere want to have your autograph. Nothing is forbidden from you. (Or so I think. I've never won a compo, nor even finished a game for one, but I dream of the day that happens.)  Beg
Μarkham
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2009, 01:02:41 PM »

I don't think prizes would be too good of an idea.  One of the games from the Demake Compo did catch the attention of 4Chan, who are (as of recent events) known for hacking the results for Time's survey to create a little message out of the entire top 20, if anyone needs reminding.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 01:06:16 PM by Markham » Logged

genericuser
« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2009, 01:30:05 PM »

I don't think prizes would be too good of an idea.  One of the games from the Demake Compo did catch the attention of 4Chan, who are (as of recent events) known for hacking the results for Time's survey to create a little message out of the entire top 20, if anyone needs reminding.

WHY 4CHAN USUALLY ISN'T A PROBLEM FOR TIGCOMPOS:
coolguy54> hey guyz, vote for my game for that TIG compo

random 4chan user>
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2009, 04:09:48 PM »

Well, you can have prizes if you don't judge by vote, right? Like if there were a secret 'judges panel' then the popularity contest problem with prizes would be mostly eliminated. Although the TIGS contests have traditionally been decided by vote so that's probably not a great idea. But when I ran my own game-making contests in the Ohrrpgce community I offered prizes and had a secret panel of judges (mostly my game designer friends) and it worked out okay. Well, it worked out okay except for me always being late with delivering the prizes and all.

PaleFox
« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2009, 08:05:44 PM »

WHY 4CHAN USUALLY ISN'T A PROBLEM FOR TIGCOMPOS:
coolguy54> hey guyz, vote for my game for that TIG compo

Anonymous>  yo dawg I put a vote in your compo so your votes can be over nine thousand while you shoop-da-woop.

Fixed

Fixed
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic