Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 09:02:35 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRed Wizard Island
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: Red Wizard Island  (Read 25981 times)
r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« on: October 16, 2011, 10:31:48 AM »

Red Wizard Island: a wizardy platformer

You play as a red wizard. Left mouse button to cast spells, WSAD to move.

I now consider this game finished. I will perhaps tweak levels and fix bugs later, but other than that I'm on to other projects.

Here is the trailer on Youtube:

Cheers.  Beer!

Steam Store Page

redwizardisland.com

« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 01:01:26 PM by r0ber7 » Logged

flavio
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 05:44:46 AM »

Hi, it is very nice! I think you had better replace printings (for example, the ones you get when you collect coins) with some more "visual" and "immediate". Anyway, great job so far, the "Amiga" feeling is here! Smiley

r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 07:39:16 AM »

Thanks! Smiley

I just added the texts yesterday, I was thinking of having different colours for different things, yellow for cash, green for hp gained, red for hp lost, and so on. I could lose the unnecessary text that way.

I will definitely finish this, although right now I have little time to work at it. I just started a new job which is taking a lot of energy, but I'm thinking of new things to add in the future anyway. Wink Once things quiet down a bit I'll be back at it. Meanwhile doing some small pixelwork and some tweaking, just little stuff, postponing working out the big ideas until I have more time and energy.

Majestic
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 07:49:42 AM »

Hey! This is looking good so far!

I noticed your missing some sounds and music, do you need game music? I'm a musician and my rates are Indie friendly and affordable

www.soundcloud.com/majestic8390 - My game music portfolio
For custom game music tailored for your project contact me majestic8390[at]gmail[dot]com
kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 07:51:19 AM »

This looks pretty cool  Smiley

r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 03:31:07 AM »

Grin

Thanks.  Wizard

I noticed your missing some sounds and music, do you need game music? I'm a musician and my rates are Indie friendly and affordable

Sorry, I've already got me a musician. Wink I'm actually a musician too and I've made music with him before, but for this game I'm delegating the music side to him (unless it sucks, but I don't expect it to). I checked out your music, I especially like the Meditative Thought one.

Cheers.  Coffee

r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 10:52:38 AM »

This week I'm working on barrels that explode when you shoot them, releasing goodies like coins and health potions. Right now I've got a barrel, and when you shoot it a single coin bounces out. It's a start. So like I said, not much time, small stuff, but hey. Smiley My humble goal is to have a proper exploding barrel on friday.

r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 09:46:31 AM »

I had the afternoon off, so I made some barrels explode ahead of schedual.  Smiley
Hitting a barrel with a fireball now causes it to go boom and release goodies (coins, potions). If you like things that go boom, watch me testing it out here:

I've noticed sometimes the bouncing powerups get stuck near a solid block. Will fix that on friday, won't be a big thing. Unlike the segfault I spent most of my time on today. But it in the end, that's why I like programming. Solving riddles. Wink

r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 05:49:02 AM »

Worked on gfx a bit. Improved fireball impact somewhat. Not completely satisfied yet, but it's getting there.

Old:

New:

delete me
Level 0

This account is very old, I don't use it.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 06:26:02 AM »

Those fire balls are so hot right now.
r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 12:54:51 PM »

Heh, thanks, I think.

Today I went bug hunting and returned victorious.  Cool
For this week I've got planned:

- shield spell
- spell switching mechanic
- in-game text (messages, signs, etc)

Depending on how time will treat me, I may also start with the bird. (The one you can hop on & fly around the level) Possibly also the shops where you can buy stuff.
I've got the outline pixels for the shield spell set up. Will work on the details and colours tomorrow.
Made some text balloons also.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 01:04:18 PM by r0ber7 » Logged

r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 03:31:20 AM »

Here's my first attempt at a shield animation:

I think the start up is ok, but the loop could probably benefit from an extra frame.

astrofra
Level 3

CG Hoister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 04:24:55 AM »

'reminds me this ...

Twinworld / Amiga / UbiSoft.

... little bit. (The setting, the dark sky with pixel stars)

r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2011, 02:27:36 PM »

Smiley Looks like a fun game! Also you get extra awesome points for referring to an Amiga game.  Coffee

Quick update.

Shield charge up:

Shield active:

May improve this later on, but for now I'm keeping this as place-holder art so tomorrow I can code this thing into the game.

r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2011, 09:24:15 AM »

Pixeled a title screen.

r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2011, 01:38:06 PM »

First day of a three-day jam. Quick update.

Viking chiefs throwing axes: check.
Shield fully operational: check.

The axes are a new TYPE which can be extended to include other movements. Right now it's a physics-based curve (like a ball you throw) but I'm thinking of sinewave motions, straight motions, perhaps spirals too. Not that I'd want axes to be thrown in any other way, but perhaps an enemy wizard would cast a moving spiral of energy or something. We'll see where it goes.

At the end of these three days I'll make another youtube video.

r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2011, 05:19:36 AM »

Just added information spheres to the game. (The kind that gives you information about controls, etc.) Now I've got a text system set up which can be used for story telling also. Also updated the level editor for this, and I added cleaning up functions for left-over enemies and projectiles that are no longer needed in memory.

In addition, I've set up a development blog on my own server: http://psyview.nl/blog/index.php?blogId=1

I will continue to post on forums, but it's nice to have everything in one place on your own server. Smiley
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 05:31:32 AM by r0ber7 » Logged

r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2011, 05:14:45 AM »

So I finished my three day coding & pixeling jam yesterday, but I spent the entire evening trying to figure out how to upload an HD video to Youtube. Figured it out now, so here I am, back to bring you the latest update on Red Wizard Island. I've been able to add and change many things.

Added since last video:

- viking chiefs can now throw axes

- text system for information, story telling, etc.

- basic shop system to buy spells n stuff with the coins you gather

- extra background and foreground layers

- new background gfx

- some new sfx

- shield spell fully working

Video:

« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 06:42:12 AM by r0ber7 » Logged

electrolyte
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2011, 06:05:44 AM »

hee this is cool :D

Remind's me a little of an Amiga game called "Wiz" that featured a 2 screen multi player version. Just for your reference  Smiley

r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2011, 01:14:56 PM »

Grin

I remember that one. Wasn't it called Wiz 'n Liz? Either way, I loved the gfx and how fast it was, but I didn't have the patience to find out what I should be doing. I think you had to collect bunnies to make a potion or something.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic