Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:42:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRed Wizard Island
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Print
Author Topic: Red Wizard Island  (Read 25930 times)
r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: March 07, 2012, 09:40:41 AM »

That new video is looking great. Like the new Flash spell, seems to work really well and visually it's interesting. Should come in handy while playing.

The new particle effects on the fireball are also looking really nice.

Like the guy you shoot who bounces back up  Smiley

Hah, I would consider that a bug, but hey. Tongue Thank you, also. Meanwhile, I'm drawing a bridge.

r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: March 22, 2012, 03:12:35 AM »

Did some sketches.

Preliminary map overview. Each island will be a level. I do not think it will be a big world, mainly because I want to see this finished and I'm just doing this in my spare time. Also because I want to add new elements and graphics to every single island, so doing about eight or nine will take up plenty of time. On top of that, there is multiplayer to consider at some point.

As it stands now, the story will somehow take you to the king in his castle, then to elves on their forest island, then to dwarves, then to the big scary ending in the underworld. As you can see I'm not going for originality, just for what I think would be fun.

King's castle.

King v0.1

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: March 22, 2012, 03:43:08 AM »

Nice planning, sounds like a good idea and approach. Also cute King although  I can't stop seeing a little kid with a fake beard  Smiley

r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: April 04, 2012, 07:41:39 AM »

Nice planning, sounds like a good idea and approach. Also cute King although  I can't stop seeing a little kid with a fake beard  Smiley

Haha, that's cool.

- double jump is now working plus extra sparkles when you jump just for fun.
- powerups no longer get stuck in the ground where you can't reach them.

Next up is spell switching with the number keys (FPS style) and some nice icons to go with that. Some slightly new gfx I did earlier:

King

Royal guard (lost pink pixel not intended)

r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: April 05, 2012, 01:53:38 PM »

- added ampos' z project to the code so I can scale to any resolution, and in addition I've added a zoom function.
- getting hit while climbing didn't reset the climbing routine, fixed.
- critters were talking when they shouldn't be talking, fixed.
- changed mouse detection routine, shouldn't give people with double monitors any more trouble.

Porting all graphics commands to the z project's commands was quite a hassle. Still some left to do. Having problems with fonts and printing text. The main menu is a mess right now. But it's been worth it already. Finally got me my zoom function which I've wanted for a long time.  Smiley

r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: April 06, 2012, 01:55:48 PM »

So, today.

- modified the z_print routine somewhat, no more trouble with font drawing now. menu is back in normal shape.
- the flash trail wasn't working any more, fixed.
- all things that still needed to be adjusted to the universal scaling now are, with one tiny exception i just noticed which won't be a problem.
- picking up potions no longer displays text, but icons, as someone suggested it would be more intuitive and i agree.

It's come to my attention that I really need a more solid way of collision detection. Somehow, sometimes, you fall through the ground... It only happens occasionally. I suspect it's when you fall through the "crack" between two blocks of 32 pixels. If that's the case I could adjust for it with a slightly bigger boxcoll or animcoll. If it isn't, I don't know. It's hard to debug a bug that only happens once every now and then. Makes it hard to reproduce and to check if possible solutions work.  :doubt:

r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: April 07, 2012, 05:38:43 AM »

Alright.

- really everything is now scaled correctly.
- improved collision detection, wasn´t so hard as i expected it to be. no more falling through the ground.
- added a brief period of invincibility after getting hurt. this way, you won't get stuck in the water or in a corner anymore while constantly getting hit.
- improved icon graphics
- improved jump animation
- modified level files a bit so that everything gets drawn the way it should
- added secondary fireball impact on enemies (no graphics, just means that if a fireball hits, more than one enemy in a group will bounce away). this seemed logical, if a huge explosion goes off right next to you, chances are you won't walk right through it. Tongue
- last but not least: switching spells can now be done with the number keys, FPS style, and when a spell has been selected an icon pops up instead of a text.

Well, that's it for today. Not much on the graphics side lately, think I'll go focus on that now. Variety is good.

Cia.

P.S. I just contacted the music guy. If all goes well, there will be music for the main menu this sunday. Asked him to post @ www.psyview.nl/blog when it's finished.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 06:02:08 AM by r0ber7 » Logged

r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: April 09, 2012, 08:30:56 AM »

- added jump blocks. you know, the ones that make you jump really high. boing!
- little flying dragons now spit fire. it looks really awesome i think.
- received music for the main menu. (gonna listen to it later. music guy tells me he wants to keep the same style in all the pieces, so that's good.)

The fire the dragons spit consists of a row of seperate sprites that follow an inverse bouncing algorithm. So now I have a standard algorithm for things like smoke, balloons, what have you. Everything that floats up. Having fun being back at developing this game. Smiley

r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: April 10, 2012, 11:27:14 AM »

- viking chicken now also spits fire (throw in some additional hp and it really is a boss!)
- viking chicken no longer falls through ground for no apparent reason
- a new weird bug showed itself. no idea of the cause, again
- perfected fireball hits
- added sweet sfx for the flames of the dragons/chicken
- received new music

r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: April 11, 2012, 06:21:29 AM »

-->

King's castle. Not satisfied about the doors & windows yet. Other than that I think it turned out pretty well.  Cool

r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: April 11, 2012, 10:38:01 AM »

Improved, I think.

The windows and door feel less glued on and more part of the picture. Think I'll turn my attention to the bird now. Eventually, you get to fly a bird, and there will be at least one level like

« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 10:45:59 AM by r0ber7 » Logged

r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: April 13, 2012, 11:11:25 AM »

Pretty much the final version of the king's castle.

Little guards for context, but mostly for fun. Thanks to Facet @Pixelation for the great suggestions which have made this. I'm pretty much content with how it is right now. Maybe I'll change the gate back to a door, but other than that, I'm satisfied. Smiley

r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: April 16, 2012, 05:42:35 AM »

- created some villagers' children.
- did this:

First layouts for a flying bird. This will become the bird you fly on after leaving the castle.

r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: April 16, 2012, 11:34:03 AM »

Today's result:

Don't worry, the bottom of the wing does exist. It's just that my poorly written animation testing program seems to fail at bigger images.

r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: April 18, 2012, 01:23:16 PM »

- fixed a bug where tiles would not get drawn when repeated.
- stuff like powerups and enemies no longer bounce through ceilings

r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: April 19, 2012, 07:10:57 AM »

- completely redid the collision detection for enemies. i was having many problems, they would bounce through walls and ground, among other things. now they use the same function as the powerups do, because i'd already written that function with proper collision detection. was a bad decision in the first place to give the enemies their own function. right now many of the problems have been solved.
- continuing pixel work on the bird. imagine having to pixel 15 frames of a flapping wing, plenty of detail. can't wait to see the end result. Smiley

Here's a mindmap i made for overview of ideas.

This is what I'm sticking to the coming days. Hopefully not many things will have to be added to the list and I can finish this before the end of may. Meanwhile I'm thinking of doing another video soon.

r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: April 28, 2012, 10:42:46 AM »

- continued with bird gfx
- started on adding the earth magic spell to the game (this one)

animation and sfx are all in place.
- entirely new camera system (instead of a camera fixed on the player all the time) i took this analysis of the camera in Super Mario World as a guide:

my camera is basically like that with a few additional things.
- fixed a bug where enemies would disappear
- castle gate now opens when you are near (with nice sfx of cogs working)
- fireballs can now be launched while walking (as requested) Wink

I think that's it. May have forgotten some things, been doing a lot of tweaking. Smiley

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: April 28, 2012, 06:48:54 PM »

Looking nice, what's the earth magic spell do?

r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: June 03, 2012, 04:53:44 AM »

Looking nice, what's the earth magic spell do?

You fly up into the air, then plummet down into the ground causing spikes to raise and explosions, which will hurt all ground enemies nearby. Useful for when you're surrounded by many ground critters. See upcoming video.

Ok, so I've been kinda lazy in updating my devlogs. Many things have been added and changed. Coming very close to an official demo release. This will hopefully include more music as well, depending on the motivation of the music guy (who's doing this basically for free in his spare time). Just posting this to tell you I will publish a new video tomorrow. It will be somewhat of a spoiler, so if you enjoy discovering the game world fresh, don't watch it and wait until the demo comes out. Most likely that will happen before the end of june, although as always I make no promises.

Meanwhile, I have made two timelapse videos for fun, showing how I draw stuff. They're

and

Cheers.

r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: June 04, 2012, 04:50:04 AM »

Alright.

Changes since last recording:

- dragons spit fire
- new spell (earth magic)
- scripts