Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411517 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 10:23:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRed Wizard Island
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
Print
Author Topic: Red Wizard Island  (Read 25983 times)
r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: December 02, 2018, 08:00:09 AM »

I have started an Adwords campaign. I think Adwords is pretty good, but maybe Facebook ads would work better. Do any of you have any experience with various forms of advertising?  How have you approached this?

r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: December 21, 2018, 05:47:02 AM »

Google ads got me 1 subscriber to my newsletter. That's not a lot, so I paused the campaign. Think I'm better off doing this on my own for now, or paying someone a little bit to do it for me. In other news:

Quote from: Steam
Your app build is in the review queue. This review typically takes 2-3 days, but please allow up to 5 business days in cases feedback needs to be addressed. No further action is required until the review is complete. You may still upload updated builds at any time.

Submitted for review on Dec 21, 2018

=D

This build has six finished levels. Still working on the rest, but it's a nice start!

r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: January 23, 2019, 04:44:36 AM »

A few more levels added, and...

You can now find the first Early Access release of Red Wizard Island on Steam. https://store.steampowered.com/app/792390/Red_Wizard_Island/?beta=0

Beer!

r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: July 29, 2019, 02:24:10 AM »

Open up all levels at the beginning of the game, or choose for a linear progression model instead?

As I am still developing Red Wizard Island, I was thinking maybe I will give the player the choice to pick from all the levels, except the endboss. Once all levels are completed, they would get to the final level.

Even though the story is linear, it is not primary to the game. You could still choose to do the levels as intended. Alternatively, I could open up two levels at a time, so if a player cannot finish one level they could still progress.

What would you do?

r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: August 05, 2019, 04:48:14 AM »

The new flying level has been completely debugged, and I have also completed the first jungle/forest level. Next level, the player will get to meet the magical elves (of course).  Smiley

RealScaniX
Level 6

Scanix (ignore the "Real", Scanix was taken)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: August 05, 2019, 05:06:14 AM »

Open up all levels at the beginning of the game, or choose for a linear progression model instead?

As I am still developing Red Wizard Island, I was thinking maybe I will give the player the choice to pick from all the levels, except the endboss. Once all levels are completed, they would get to the final level.

Even though the story is linear, it is not primary to the game. You could still choose to do the levels as intended. Alternatively, I could open up two levels at a time, so if a player cannot finish one level they could still progress.

What would you do?

Your questions got me thinking for a solution to that for my own game. I have checkpoints every few levels and the player can start at any level he had visited before.
But I wondered if there are levels that are so hard that players are not able to solve them, so now I have added an ingame menu option to pay some money (aka points, score) to open the way to the next level.
So to get a highscore you won't do that, but if you get really stuck, you will be able to get to the end of the game anyway. Smiley

r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: August 05, 2019, 06:55:15 AM »

Your questions got me thinking for a solution to that for my own game. I have checkpoints every few levels and the player can start at any level he had visited before.
But I wondered if there are levels that are so hard that players are not able to solve them, so now I have added an ingame menu option to pay some money (aka points, score) to open the way to the next level.
So to get a highscore you won't do that, but if you get really stuck, you will be able to get to the end of the game anyway. Smiley

That's an interesting trade-off and player choice. What do the players think of it? Do you also have online leaderboards?

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: August 05, 2019, 12:54:02 PM »

That's an interesting trade-off and player choice. What do the players think of it? Do you also have online leaderboards?

I have online leaderboards / highscore lists. But the game is still in development. There are not many entries yet. Smiley

r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: August 05, 2019, 11:43:14 PM »

I have online leaderboards / highscore lists. But the game is still in development. There are not many entries yet. Smiley

I'm thinking about adding online leaderboards, but I'm not sure if it is worth the development effort at this point. Did you build your own API or are you using an existing service for this? Have you encountered any troubles with this? (Trying to decide if I'm going to do that)  Wink

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: August 06, 2019, 03:37:08 AM »

Yes, I did my own thing in PHP (because that is all my server supports) and MySQL. Posts are encrypted a bit with my own algorithm, too.
And I also have the score in a secured number variable in memory, because there are tools that allow you to change those easily. ^^

r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: August 07, 2019, 06:25:28 AM »

Yes, I did my own thing in PHP (because that is all my server supports) and MySQL. Posts are encrypted a bit with my own algorithm, too.
And I also have the score in a secured number variable in memory, because there are tools that allow you to change those easily. ^^

Interesting. I think the main challenge for me would be the in-memory encryption. What framework do you use, if any? My game is coded in the (fairly obscure) GLBasic, so encryption methods for it are not that commonly found. My next project will be in Unity for sure.  Shrug

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: August 07, 2019, 01:06:33 PM »

I'm not using anything. Just my own little algorithm done in C# to scramble and descramble the string. It's safe enough for the task. For the safe score integers in memory I did my own thing, too. I actually have two levels of security here, but only use the first now which is masking and splitting the actual value. I think in any case I invested more energy in this than is reasonable. ^^

r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: August 07, 2019, 11:46:16 PM »

I think in any case I invested more energy in this than is reasonable. ^^

Smiley Yeah, I'm trying to prevent that. I've overcomplicated many simple tasks in the past. I checked out your game, do you have a thread on these forums too?

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: August 08, 2019, 12:44:55 AM »

I think in any case I invested more energy in this than is reasonable. ^^

Smiley Yeah, I'm trying to prevent that. I've overcomplicated many simple tasks in the past. I checked out your game, do you have a thread on these forums too?

Yes, I do. https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=66716.0
And thanks for checking it out. Smiley

r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: May 12, 2020, 11:16:50 AM »

This week I will apply the latest bugfixes and tweaks. Full Steam release coming up!  Wizard

r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: May 16, 2020, 12:55:27 PM »

A gif of the trailer I made for the full release:

I now consider this game finished. I will perhaps tweak levels and fix bugs later, but other than that I'm on to other projects.

Here is the trailer on Youtube:

Cheers.  Beer!

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic