Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411494 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 11:02:50 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRed Wizard Island
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: Red Wizard Island  (Read 25988 times)
r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2011, 12:04:11 PM »

Introducing Magor (wizard who aids you on your journey):

And the magic shop now has a chminey:

In addition, I changed the hue of the moonlight, and edited the code somewhat so that the shield spell doesn't overlap with the ground.

kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2011, 12:23:01 PM »

Well, that game's looking pretty cool now!

A background sound would fill it throught  Smiley

I have a question, how do you handle map scrolling?
I see that you have smooth camera, so do you do it like that? :

r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2011, 12:47:51 AM »

Well, that game's looking pretty cool now!

Thank you!

A background sound would fill it throught  Smiley

Yes, sir. One background sound coming right up. Actually, you got me thinking. It'd be cool to have, for example, a campfire on screen with its own sound. Then when it's to your right & far away, the sound would be coming from the right speaker on low volume, and so on. I'd adjust pan & volume for the distance to the player. Would create more sense of immersion I feel. So now I have to code that into the level editor. Smiley

I have a question, how do you handle map scrolling?
I see that you have smooth camera, so do you do it like that? :

Yep, that's how I do it. One of the more interesting problems I faced was having an enemy walk out of the screen, and back in. At first when they'd walk out of the range of blocks being drawn, they'd fall to their death into the void.  Big Laff

kamac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2011, 05:32:06 AM »

I've guessed  Durr...?.
I must do the same!

I've made some kind of my map editor, which's vid is on my blog, but you can see it sucks. I'd make another one, that can create scrolled maps. Generally, i would change almost everything because my current one is very bugged.

Could you show your level editor  Smiley?

r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2011, 06:20:34 AM »

Sure.

It was quickly coded, adding stuff as I go. I checked your editor, seems alright to me, but it depends on what you wanna do I suppose. How's the

going?

I've added ambient sound (crickets at night) and the campfire sfx is working too, except GLBasic has very limited sound playing commands it seems so I can't change the panning of something while it's being played. Sad So I ended up with very short soundbites which get repeated with different panning, but it doesn't sound exactly like I want it to. Wonder if I can work around that somehow...
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 06:45:51 AM by r0ber7 » Logged

kamac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2011, 06:31:32 AM »

How's the platformer going?

Was just a small, very early test!

Your screenshot isn't working  Concerned.

I've added ambient sound (crickets at night) and the campfire sfx is working too, except GLBasic has very limited sound playing commands it seems so I can't change the panning of something while it's being played.  So I ended up with very short soundbites which get repeated with different panning, but it doesn't sound exactly like I want it to. Wonder if I can work around that somehow...

That's bad. Aren't there any additional libraries for it?

r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2011, 06:49:51 AM »

Your screenshot isn't working  Concerned.

Fixd?

Aren't there any additional libraries for it?

Perhaps, I've asked around on the GLBasic forum. Will see. Can't find it on short notice and tomorrow I'm leaving for a four day vacation with my girlfriend, so I'm not starting up big ideas right now.

I've bought a drawing book for the trip, so chances are in four days I'll return with a bunch of pencil sketches of endbosses, layouts, etc. Smiley

kamac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2011, 07:06:26 AM »

Looks & works better than my editor i guess  Epileptic.

Fixd?

Yup. Fixed!

Perhaps, I've asked around on the GLBasic forum. Will see. Can't find it on short notice and tomorrow I'm leaving for a four day vacation with my girlfriend, so I'm not starting up big ideas right now.

Good luck  Tongue

r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2011, 12:20:27 AM »

Alright, turns out I have some time left, so I came up with a new idea: black hole spell.

I haven't got time to work it out in the code, but I'll post my thoughts here for future reference.

The idea is to have a spell that conjures up a black hole. The surroundings nearby would be warped, and all enemies nearby would be sucked into the hole.

For warping the surroundings I'm thinking of doing something like this:

This is a basic sinewave and its relation to a circle. If I start with a circle drawn by using a sine function, and I decrease the amplitude of the sinewave, that should create a spiral. I would know the x and y of every position on the spiral, throw those in an array. I could then adjust the x and y of the polygons of the surrounding grid based on their relative distance to the spiral. If my thoughts are correct, that would create a spiral warp in the grid. In addition I could throw some nice gfx on top, like one of these:

Enemies would be sucked into the black hole following the x and y of the spiral, increasing in speed and decreasing in size, creating the idea of them being sucked away into nothingness.

r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2011, 06:16:28 AM »

Alright you guys, I've made another vid.
New in this video:

- Magor the wizard that gives you advice. (Someone on this forum told me Magor means idiot in Czech, even better. Smiley)
- Flying enemies (lil dragons, I love the sound they make when you shoot them. Skip to 1:10 in the vid to see them die.)
- Background ambient sound

I'll be gone for a few days on vacation, so no updates after this one for a while. I'll be taking my sketchbook with me, so expect to be spammed with doodles of level designs and endbosses in the near future!

Cheers.  Coffee

kamac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2011, 07:55:59 AM »

All looks cool  Smiley

I wonder if GLBasic has built-in pixel-perfect collision and stuff like moving sprite on a vector.

r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2011, 11:51:54 AM »

All looks cool  Smiley

I wonder if GLBasic has built-in pixel-perfect collision and stuff like moving sprite on a vector.

There is pixel based collision detection, and you can draw sprites like textures on vector objects.

Ok, I warned you. Doodles coming up!

Testing out a dragon idea.

Idea for an upgrade for the fireball spell: additional fireballs that appear to swirl around the first one, like planets in rotation, in a sinewave motion.

Rough idea of level 2.

Viking chicken endboss & viking ghost.

Their digital counterparts, waiting to be refined, repixeled, and animated.

This is the first time I've turned a sketch into a digital image. I dare say it's looking good. Sprites will be much smaller than these ones, but for detail they're good to work with. Animation is also very easy with this, because there are several layers to each image which I can move independently. Tomorrow I have little time to work on the game, but after that I'll have a somewhat free day (one hour shift) so I might start on the warp thing & the fireball upgrade on wednesday.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 12:36:59 PM by r0ber7 » Logged

r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2011, 12:32:02 PM »

Started work on level 2. Looking good so far. Didn't have much time today (only a bit this evening) so that's about it. Gonna work a little more on gfx for keys, locked doors, and the viking ghost before I go to bed.

r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2011, 02:09:12 PM »

- Ghosts added.
- Added the fireball upgrade as described earlier. Looks awesome and it's way too powerful right now. So I'll need to give enemies more hp (not just one shot kills) and introduce a mana bar (big spells cost big mana) to balance things out.
- Level 2 is mostly finished now. Needs trees and background and little details.
- Added some tiles so I can make caves and tunnels.
- Tweaked player movement a bit.

Might start on the black hole warp thing tomorrow. Youtube update later this week.

jeffrobot
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2011, 03:12:19 PM »

hey rober,

your game looks pretty cool. Design question: the shield seems pretty op, especially without any limitation on its use. Especiallyx2 because you can shoot fireballs with it up. I figure you have plans to address this? Or maybe you don't think its a problem?
r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2011, 04:46:50 AM »

hey rober,

your game looks pretty cool. Design question: the shield seems pretty op, especially without any limitation on its use. Especiallyx2 because you can shoot fireballs with it up. I figure you have plans to address this? Or maybe you don't think its a problem?

Thanks, I haven't done any balancing yet but will do that in the near future. The shield will probably fade away over time, and every spell cast will cost you spellpower, so you can't just cast spells all the time. This way it'd be a tougher choice: do I charge up a shield and have three fireballs left, or do I go for five fireballs without the shield? For example.

Here's a quick gif of a viking ghost. I think I'll have it spit blue glowing balls at you.

r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2011, 07:00:07 AM »

Worked a bit on the first endboss gfx.

Headbanging viking chicken:

kamac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2011, 08:41:08 AM »

Lol. Nice animation  Wink.

r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2011, 03:01:09 PM »

Thanks. Smiley

Today:
- added some pretty powerup pickup effects
- finished level 2 landscape
- added code, gfx & sfx for locked doors & keys
- added some tiles

r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2011, 02:37:52 AM »

Just added sfx for the ghost getting hit, and tweaked collision detection for ramps a bit. Not much time to work on it today. Once I've got the viking chicken endboss fight all pixeled & coded in I'll release another video. I'm putting the black hole warp thing on hold for now, perhaps next week. First I want to finish all of the things required to get level 2 & 3 up and running.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic