Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411485 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 06:30:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignCollaborative Mecha Game --as yet untitled--
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Collaborative Mecha Game --as yet untitled--  (Read 9939 times)
Lord Ash
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 11, 2008, 10:27:17 AM »

I mentioned this on the IRC channel last night, and thought I'd go ahead and start a thread for it. This is an as yet untitled collaborative mecha game, similar to the Front Mission series. A Turn Based Strategy game, with many Mechs.The idea is to all work together, to create a game, and to have a standing project to work on. It will provide a cohesive project for artist to practice their skills, and coders to work together. It will also give us a great game to play.

As this is a Collaborative effort, intended for the community, I am proposing a Committee of Directors, henceforth to be known as 'the Board'. I'm going to play chairman for a bit until things get settled. I'm not trying to sound pretentious, I just know that projects need direction or end up in chaos. This is a good chance for me to learn some things about managing a project. Once things are running smoothly, I will hand over the reins to 'the Board'.

There is a lot of ground to cover, a lot. I'm going to briefly go over the basic points of involvement, and where I see things going. First, a legal note. This is a Collaborative Project, and I don't want anyone to own it, or take it from the community. That said, I'm proposing an involvement based open-source, open-content license. That means if you contribute, you get all the included stuff, code music meshes etc. This leaves a lot of room for someone to make a mesh, then just release a copy of our work. A clause could be worded to prevent that, I think it will need to be discussed, it's up to the group really.

The main purpose behind this project, is to learn and practice skills. Beyond that, to create a fun game. I have a lot of ideas, but I want to leave things open for others to contribute. I'm going to focus on what I do best, creating rich settings and rules, but I want help with that too.

Breaking down the game into Sections we get:

• Code
  • Art
  • Music
  • Setting
  • Rules

I'll tackle each one in turn, as best I can. Each section will end up with a Director (from 'the Board') to oversee its implementation.

Code:

Im weakest at code myself, but I can cover th basic areas that will need done.

A board to move pieces on.
An AI to fight against.
Menus.
3D rendering engine to see everything.
Music Routines.
Weapon and battle logic. (the rules)
Network Play (optional)

bout as basic as it gets. I am sure Im missing some things and I will be revising this as time goes by.

Art:

Art will be
3D models of Mecha,
or Mecha parts,
or people
or other vehicles,
and Textures to go on them,
and some levels to fight on.

thats about it.

Music.

Some Songs
Some Sound FX.

Rules.

Rules will cover how pieces move, how damage is dealt, what skills people have etc. It will take a lot of work to stay balanced. Im planning not only on rules for  in game, but for faction and item creation out of game as well.

More Rules

So we need to start with the rules we as designers will follow in creating our content.
First Rule: No Uber Tech that outclasses everything else.
Second Rule: No Nukes. No Omega Cannons,No auto matic-insta-kill weapons.....(yet?)

Now Mechs and Pilots are slightly different in terms of attributes, but both are easy to figure out.

Mecha Attributes
this is pretty core to the game, these have to work. I want to keep it simple.

Overall Attributes

Movement--easy enough to understand, how far the thing can move

Power--Out put of the engine, will influence what parts can be equipped, how far it can move, damage in melee, et, etc, neat upgrades like, 'high-tensile myomers' will alter this.

Armor--simply, how well armored the thing is, this maybe should be per part, though I was thinking this as an overall number

Class--what class of mech, recon, assault, support, sniper, or even wheeled tank, infantry power armor, construction mech, etc. will be useful for team balancing and macroing, while not wanting to restrict the player from designing mecha, it does prevent, or help prevent min/maxing. Also allows for other 'types' of vehicles as stated, Type could be another name for this.

Per Part Attributes

HP or AP - hit or armor Points. when reduced to zero, the part is destroyed. In battletech, you have both outer armor points, and inner structure points, I think this should be simplified.

Type -- arm, leg, body, and possibly head, some types might have different attributes associated with them.

Weapon Mounts -- this detrmines what and how many weapons or modules can be attached to the Mech.

Im sure there is more than these, and I havent gotten into ranges yet, but its a start.

Pilot Attributes

a big decision needs to be made over whether this is a natiral ability based system, or a skill and training based system.

Reaction Speed- overall piloting modifier
Intelligence - how many skills can be learned, levels of skills, targeting and calculation modifier
Stamina ? -- how tough the pilot is, in falls, cockpit hits, feedback damage etc.

or

Piloting Skill - overall piloting
Gunnery (or targeting for each weapon type) ability to hit target
Computer Use using the computer

possibly combining these.

Ultimately, we need to know, how far the mech can move, how much damage it can take, and what weapons it has to deal damage with.

Setting.

I'm proposing a generic world, somewhere in the universe. That has mecha, and some kind of space travel. Maybe some aliens, maybe not. But definitely mecha, and unstable politics. Its open to some degree, and I'll be fleshing this out considerably. Im thinking a small system, with a planet or two, and a several factions. You guys will be able to create factions as well. Factions in terms of design, will be keeping groups of mecha looking the same etc.

Fleshing out the World
Ok, from the IRC, and whatnot, I am going to make the setting as such:
First, we are going to use Eras or Ages, that parallels our development, we are in the Alpha Stage, so it gets an era, in Beta, a new era, etc etc. this will allow us a couple of things, to start simple, and build up, to keep thing flexible, and to incorporate things into the story easier. It also keeps us from getting overwhelmed with a ton of stuff to make all at once.

Alpha Stage :=: Age of Mystery
this is history, our engine will be barely working, our mechs will be simple things to test the engine, etc. This is before the mega-corp, before the global wars, before space exploration is predominate. Mechs will probably be Archtypes, as much as anything. Very loose rules and such. Most things from this era will be low quality. 

In terms of Setting, the world is still young, it is a time like the roaring twenties, or the Atom Age. Some Mecha may be Steam tech, or Atom tech. Scientists are experimenting, but lack major funding. Mecha are 'new' and fairly low power. In many cases, they used as entertainment, such as in Arenas. The game still consists of just one World, that is just called 'the World' by most.  Mecha from this Era look like basic primitives stuck together. Some are just painted solid colors. This is an innocent time. Things are not expected to be grand, as mecha are a novelty at this point, culturally, and in terms of us, this game is still an experiment. The core focus is on getting things to work. On basics, Cool stuff like nuero-helmets and negative-Ion canons have to wait. Bullets n Rockets for now. Simple.

Early Beta Stage :=: Age of War

A great war has befallen the World, this is when many common mech are put in mass production.This is a many sided war. Several Countries band together to form the 'Eastern Coalition', on another continent, the 'Covenant of the West' seek unity, in the south, the 'Southern Alliance' brings a half dozen island countries together with a small continent. There are also several smaller groups that exist, vying for power in a chaotic world. This is where we will be for awhile, until most rules and systems are worked out. It allows a lot of room to create things and the start of factions. I think this will generate a good amount of content, over several months. I have tried to leave it very open to interpretation. This is good place to really tinker with mechanics and getting rules balanced. At this time the engine should work, and a scripting system should be in place, to allow campaigns or scenarios. If it never gets past here, we still made a game.

Late Beta :=: Age of Invention

As the war draws to an end, or possibly has ended, many new technologies emerge. We get space travel, at least basic stuff, and the second planet in the system is found. This is where we get a lot of cool new stuff. Once the bugs have been worked out, we can experiment with cool modules, like different piloting systems and splash damage. Till now, most of what has been built, has been to get things working, this is when we start introducing things that break those systems, and balance them. In game, most countries are war torn, and propaganda is high to encourage new growth. The pecking order of the world is established, and the corporations that create the best technologies, will ensure their place in the next era. this is a 'golden age'. Resources are scare, so mass production is low, and the focus is on optimizing the small groups of mecha. This is when we really see custom mecha, with several eras of things to draw from.

1.0 release :=: Modern Era

This is where things will stand when the game is 'done'. The Magacorp ans Governments are established. The new planet is at war over land and control, smaller countries on the main planet are popping up left and right trying to get an tract of land or domination. Mercenary groups are are at an all time high, fighting these battles on both worlds for money and fame. This is the game. Everything till now has been building this. This is what we 'release' to the public. this is done. Factions created by developers in the last Era are well established. The other Eras are history, and will exist only as movies or a few scenarios for reference. Added into all of this, is the long range detection of an approaching alien ship, from a nearby star system. Perhaps advance forces have already arrived. This Era will be built out of the others that have come before it, created by our creating.

From now on, I will only focus on the currently developing Era, that means we are now in "The Age of Mystery". All development will be focused on its goals. I will write up a detailed list of what that actually means in a day or two, after people have had time to discuss it.

Im doing this to make things go smoother. It breaks the project into 'chunks'. This alpha era is mostly on, getting a simple display working, with things moving, and shooting. Not much else, not large region maps, just basic play, not even settings or a title screen, meshes wont need detailed textures, not close ups for specials or critical. Just getting a board that moves pieces. Again, ill write up a small list of exactly what needs to exist here. I could really use some help from a coder on making that section list.

Anyway, I also have done my best to create a basic framework of the world, and leave things open for others to design. Im trying to guide, not order, this is all open to debate. And you guys get to fill in the blanks, for the most part, with your ideas on what this game should be. Im just laying out ideas, you guys, th group, get to decide on whats what.

Well enough for now, I'll make a post at the bottom of the thread addressing your questions so far.

Please discuss, its not something Im going to make on my own. I really want input, but please refrain from the simple sounds good and cool posts. I want a mod to monitor this, an help me keep it professional. I want to have fun, but please don't post off-topic or add posts frivolously. Please contribute, but make it a  contribution.

I look forward to working with you gentlemen.  Beer!

Current Needed Roles:

Director of Code
--someone who knows about code, and assigning programming asks

Director of Art
--someone who knows about art and assigning art tasks

Director of Rules
--Someone who knows rule mechanics and game balancing

Director of Music
-- Im nominating The_Doctor for this, one week to challenge that, if you have a good reason, Ive heard he is pretty good around here, a kind of authority. Duties will be making music, and making sure submitted tracks sound good, working with other musicians to make their tracks  sound good, and generally making sure things are in the right format, etc.

Please apply if you fit the bill, or have done this before.

Im actually rather tired, but I will be in over the next few days, adding what I can. A lot of work to do, but I think we could have a playable demo before the end of summer. At least by the end of the year, its up to you guys.

Comments and Suggestions are welcome.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 03:05:51 AM by ash » Logged
Tasoth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 03:51:30 PM »

I'll volunteer for setting definitely and I'd love to work with person doing the rules as you can tie the two together with perks/abilities/traits.
Border
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 05:17:06 PM »

i might help you with 3D art even some 2D if no one offer it.
Sorry i got a weakness for mecha  Embarrassed

Available for Freelance
Knightmare
Level 1

Brittany Cloud

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 05:59:15 PM »

I would totally do 2D artwork.  I need to practice drawing mechs...

The Doctor
Maestro
Level 0

aka: AtrusRand, Yaegashi...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 10:56:42 PM »

I wouldn't mind helping with music, if people would have me.

I'd also like to try helping with writing the storyline.

Border
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 04:13:56 AM »

Cool so who's missing before we start Smiley

Available for Freelance
Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 04:19:20 PM »

I could do some 3d models and textures but I won't be able to do too much since I have a large project of my own that Ill be working on but I would love to do some work on the project.

muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008, 09:15:33 AM »

That sounds a lot of fun. I'm a good coder, so perhaps I could help in that department... the only problem is, as always, time. Between writing a diploma thesis and my own projects, there is hardly any spare time left currently. That might improve in a couple of months, though... when do you expect this to go into production?

BTW, is going 3D a fixed requirement? 3D games just tend to be a lot more work than 2D games, and especially for turn-based strategy something like a 2D hexgrid seems to be just fine to me. Something like a futuristic Wesnoth, without all the annoying randomness... So perhaps that would be more realistic. But I'm open to both ways...
Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 12:18:23 PM »

I agree, 3d could be too much, I'm not sure how many people on Tig do 3d and I'm guessing not near as many as those who do 2d.

Border
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 03:19:44 PM »

no to sound pretentious but i'm a 3D Modeler pro so i think unless it an MMO sized, i can handled. Naturally help is always good :D But i must admit I'm wondering wish kind of 3d mr Ash is thinking. realtime or prerendered?
I think mech game like front mission  since it was quoted are using prerender3d ?
well from the screen i saw over the net.

Available for Freelance
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2008, 06:22:59 PM »

no to sound pretentious but i'm a 3D Modeler pro so i think unless it an MMO sized, i can handled.
Well, asset creation is not the only problem, the game engine will most probably also get quite a bit more complicated when going 3D.
Border
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2008, 07:07:06 PM »

yeah you're right on this one. i completely forgot the code side for 2 sec.

Available for Freelance
Danrul
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2008, 12:33:51 AM »

I'd like to work on rules for sure, and setting if im allowed. 
Lord Ash
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2008, 03:38:19 AM »

Tasoth, your on setting n rules team then, you'll be working with me for now

Border, your on art then,

MetaKnightmareGirl, you'll be doing some concepts

The Doctor, I nominated you for Music chair. Feel free to pitch in on storyline

Caliber9, the whole point of this is to be able to contribute a little here n there a we go, we would be glad to see some meshes from you.

muku, by all means, we need a coder. Im really hoping for 3D, it just makes things easier in the long run. I am a huge wesnoth fan. I just feel like a rudimentary 3D engine will serve us better in the long run. the game engine I think wont be too hard once its working. If you are familiar, I would suggest we use reality factory, it is more than adequate as a renderer, and would only need the cameras setup, and game logic coded into it. or we could build on a dozen other 3D engines, that will allow us to work on game logic, rather than rendering. I by no means plan on having someone write everything from the ground up, unless rhey want to. with numerous open source engines around, I dont think it will be too hard. but talk with me, let me know what will be the hard parts ? maybe I can hunt down an engine that addresses these. I feel that 3D, similar to final fantasy tactics, or front mission 3, or ogre battle, will be the best choice, it will allow board rotation and eay to see heights and obstacles. but it really does come down to the group.

The Cosmic Fool, youre with me n Tasoth on story and Rules, along with The Doctor

I made a bunch of additions to the first post, with new stuff in Blue. read over it. I really think it is good way to go, let me know what you think, and I will post task lists for the alpha.

we are off to a great start, and I look forward to working with all of you.  Smiley
LuisAnton
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2008, 05:27:20 AM »

I love Mechs and I love strategy games, so I love this idea. However, doesn't it sound too much like Front Mission? :m What would be the differences between them? Well, obviously almost everything (story, game mechanics, graphics...) but... isn't it like doing 'one more like...'

May be this should be in a different thread but, why not aiming towards completely original ideas?

Border
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2008, 08:53:56 AM »

just for then record. when we talk mecha we talk about occidental (Mechwarrior,Heavy gear) or more Gundam one?
i personally think something more "realistic" is cooler but that's just me :D
for thos who don't know Heavy gear universe
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_Gear
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 05:08:46 PM by Border » Logged

Available for Freelance
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2008, 10:28:14 AM »

Old chap, I cannot help but notice you got yourself promoted to nobility Gentleman

muku, by all means, we need a coder. Im really hoping for 3D, it just makes things easier in the long run. I am a huge wesnoth fan. I just feel like a rudimentary 3D engine will serve us better in the long run. the game engine I think wont be too hard once its working. If you are familiar, I would suggest we use reality factory, it is more than adequate as a renderer, and would only need the cameras setup, and game logic coded into it. or we could build on a dozen other 3D engines, that will allow us to work on game logic, rather than rendering. I by no means plan on having someone write everything from the ground up, unless rhey want to. with numerous open source engines around, I dont think it will be too hard. but talk with me, let me know what will be the hard parts ? maybe I can hunt down an engine that addresses these. I feel that 3D, similar to final fantasy tactics, or front mission 3, or ogre battle, will be the best choice, it will allow board rotation and eay to see heights and obstacles. but it really does come down to the group.
You are right, when we build on an open source 3d engine it shouldn't be too bad, I can definitely see that working. I hadn't heard of Reality Factory before, just looked at it, seems to be one of these "no code required" RAD tools, so I'm not sure whether that would be the best choice. Then again, I haven't played with any of the large open source engines so far, so I have a hard time recommending anything else. Ogre seems to get a lot of good rep, but one would have to evaluate whether it's suited to such a project. Then there's also Horde3D which looks pretty sweet as a rendering framework, though it requires an OpenGL 2.0 card.

Speaking of it, how graphically advanced would you want to make this? High-poly models with all the latest pixel shader eye candy, or just basic 3D so that it also runs on old PCs?
Border
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2008, 05:45:56 PM »

so lets the fleshing begin! :D

Available for Freelance
Lord Ash
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2008, 02:52:47 PM »

source material for alpha

http://www.basicrobotics.net/mech.html

http://www.enryu.jp/t52/index.html

and I drew some stuff, just 4, but a good set for alpha

http://img381.imageshack.us/my.php?image=basicalphamechacopyns0.jpg

dont I drew great 111

anyway, couple things, muku, Im open to any suggestions, reality factory does have some included editors, but it can be used without them. I honestly am not concerned, other than, ease of getting art and scripts into the engine, RF might be good for that. Ill look into it, and some of the others as well, but it really to me comes down to the easiest choice to get art into, and to script for our needs.

Im not by any means looking for a serious modern engine, dx 8.1 is fine. The game should run decently on a 1 ghz - 1.4 ghz cpu without too much lag, faster cpu should be fine.

Im not horribly concerned with mac or linux support, but its a bonus.

anyway, just dropping in to post links, more soon.

input people, I need your input as well.
Border
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2008, 06:44:18 PM »

i really dig the real mech type machine from this japanese link. sweet.
yeah. and your drawing are..well *caugh* ok.
I think i'll start to drop some concept too.
About RF. i found this. im sure you all know this but hey better safe than sorry plus it doest really touch me, the choice of the engine since i only do art. But the better think about this the more chance are ppl will stay longer.
http://www.devmaster.net/engines/engine_details.php?id=96

Available for Freelance
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic