Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411529 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 01:54:58 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Tutorials2D Game Art for Programmers
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: 2D Game Art for Programmers  (Read 6140 times)
snowyowl
Level 1

View Profile
« on: October 17, 2011, 09:06:03 AM »

This cropped up on Reddit yesterday, and it's been really helpful to me. It's mostly about vector art (well, part 1 is anyway), so go grab Inkscape if you don't already have it.
allansson
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 09:18:42 AM »

Thanks! I've been thinking about doing something with vector art lately, and this will be a huge help.  Gentleman
Xardov
Level 1

Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 04:17:16 PM »

Doesn't teach you to do pixel art, which in my opinion is way harder than vector art. Sad

Beer!  Blog / Twitter / Google+  Beer!
Geeze
Level 5

Totally.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 09:21:46 PM »

Doesn't teach you to do pixel art, which in my opinion is way harder than vector art. Sad
Facepalm

But that's a really good tut. Actually I hadn't realized how useful vector art is before. It looks so simple. Ninja

paladin_t
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 09:48:47 PM »

Wow, very cool. I'd been looking for this for a long time.
jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 06:12:12 AM »

This is a really nice tutorial for those beginning with vector art or even computer graphics in general. I think it would give a lot of confidence to a novice and that's half the battle. Smiley
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 11:08:05 PM »

http://gamasutra.com/blogs/ChrisHildenbrand/20111019/8692/2D_Game_Art_For_Programmers__Part_2.php
How about part 2?

Theophilus
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 06:46:06 AM »

The author made a post here: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=22353.0
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 07:27:15 AM »

That's...kind of the point of the tutorial, isn't it? Programmers have a tendency to be less talented when it comes to the art side of the equation. More often than not, they NEED a form of art for their games that is easier and faster than hand-drawn pixel art. And let's not forget that vector art is a lot easier to produce using pure code. (which a programmer would find much easier to understand)

You need to play to your strengths. If coding, and not traditional art, is your strength, then it makes sense to use a form of art in your games that can be produced using coding.
Impossible
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 07:02:39 AM »

Hah, classic TIGS Smiley.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic