Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411525 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 05:01:27 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBlood and Breath - dungeon crawler badass combat - STEP 1: 1v1 COMBAT
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Blood and Breath - dungeon crawler badass combat - STEP 1: 1v1 COMBAT  (Read 1899 times)
The Monster King
Level 10

FRKUC im ALWAYS ANGRY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnerd

View Profile
« on: October 17, 2011, 06:24:45 PM »

(note that the progress bar is for the current step, not the whole game!!)

Hello I am making a game I will never finish, in fact you may ask, will I even make this game??? but its not important. What is important is that we have fun, isnt that the point of games ART GAME ARGUMENT HELLO go away art game argument, i'm talkin about a nerdy game OH SHIT IM OUTTA HERE BYE GUYS hhhheh artists hate nerdy things... or do they????

"But your Majesty," you ask, following proper etiquette, "Why would you never finish this game" well typical question asker, that is because i am a lazy fuck. but the other reason is that I want to make a COMPLIXATED GAME (so complicated the c is an x) and when you say "how complicated" I answer "combat like dwarf fortress" and you say "what that's crazy you'll never finish it". to which I answer " you are correct. also i meant more complex than dwarf fortress. only the combat though. non combat elements ARE FOR HUMANS UUUUH I WANT STORY BOO HOO"

The game would be some kinda dungeon crawler with all those fancy procedural dungeons a new experience* each game hurray

*its just a bunch of rooms sorry

but its not really my biggest focus. i am thinking of combat because killing things is badass.

My number one gripe with games with rpg-ish combat is that there is a % chance to hit. PERCENT CHANCE TO HIT IS BORING. IT IS STUPID. IT IS OTHER DEROGATIVES. IT IS BAD.
Randomly generated dungeons and items and whatnot is fun, but randomly winning or losing is for gamblers, which is a sin unless you're really lucky.

Instead I am talking about BETTING GAUGES which is still gambling only for cooler people. By gauges I mean stamina and concentration. Put more stamina and concentration into a move, it hits easier and hurts more. Whoa! Great job. No random. Critical hits? If you hit that much better that the guy dodges then you get ALL THE BONUS DAMAGE. Because you bet all your stamina and concentration and he thought you were bluffing­. And you won the rock paper scissors thing or whatever. EVERY GAME IS ROCK PAPER SCISSORS, remember that.

When I say as complex as DF I mean you slash the guy's arm and it goes through his skin fat muscle bone and you were strong like 20 oxes and you cut his bone halfway through. fuck bones. and then his arm is limp and he is bleeding. by the way your life gauge is blood. blood is awesome. breath being your stamina. there is no cool sounding word for concentration or morale (which is also a gauge. there will be lots of gauges. do not worry, they will be COLOR CODED for convenience. high quality graphics)

also there will be no playable humans or elves or dwarves or other boring humans-but-with-a-slightly-different-feature. humans are lame.

There will be concept art if my girlfriend is okay with me posting it.

SUMMARY FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE TOO NOOB TO READ MY AWESOME POST:

-this game will never be finished
-no random combat results
-complex hitting things system
-humans arent playable but are killable
-blood is your hp breath is your stamina hence the title
-also it will be a turn based RTS i think, what that's crazy

i am hoping having this devlog and comments will generate motivation the most precious of resources for lazy royalty like me

NOTE I AM VERY STUBBORN SO I APPRECIATE FEEDBACK BUT MOSTLY ABOUT BALANCING THINGS IF I EVEN EVER GET TO A POINT WHERE THAT MATTERS. YOU CAN STILL SAY x is boring / could be done differently BUT I AM STUBBORN SO I MIGHT JUST BRUSH IT OFF AND FEED YOU TO THE CYBER CROCODILES (they are hungry... cyber hungry. this summer, cybercrocs)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 10:24:26 AM by The Monster King » Logged
The Monster King
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 06:28:24 PM »

god damn my artist is good

these things are playable I repeat playable

COOL SKETCHES

Berbulyesht. the main guy??(can also be female... kawai) the only humanoid, i guarantee.

Yirivang. It's a land squid. Probably nothing much else worth mentioning. It's a squid. Fuck yeah.

COOL PAINTINGS

I don't know what this is it doesnt have a name yet but it's gonna be playable.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 07:20:24 PM by The Monster King » Logged
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 06:29:01 PM »

I seriously am totally thinking this is classy, because waiting to see what RNG gives you gets old sometimes

Coincidentally, I once tried to design an action RPG based around the phrase 'Blood, Sweat, and Tears' (HP, Stamina, MP)

Even if you never finish it, I'll still like to see what comes of it

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
The Monster King
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 06:34:22 PM »

at the very least i would like a two player combat (with possible AI) playable. just to get a feel of a good combat.

like I said I like RNG for loot and levels, but I think it's stupid for YOU MISS THE PIKACHUSAUR WITH YOUR CHAINPHALLUSAW! THE PIKACHUSAUR CRITICALLY HITS YOU WITH HIS LAMESABER! YOU WOULDVE WON WERE IT NOT FOR THESE TWO LOW PERCENTAGE EVENTS FUCK THIS GAME.

I encourage anyone to steal this idea of betting stuff or whatever to determine results of a hit. even just a simple rock paper scissors is better, though you have to make them do different things for it not to be boring.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 06:49:00 PM »

will there be playable humans
Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 06:50:44 PM »

There will be concept art if my girlfriend is okay with me posting it.

I like where this is going.

Danrul
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 06:56:05 PM »

What happens if you puncture a lung?  You begin breathing blood!

Where does this fit into your game design?
The Monster King
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 06:59:41 PM »

your character laughs at the irony, then dies from bleeding and never restoring any stamina
cystem glitch
Level 2

wack

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 07:01:33 PM »

unbalanced; third gauge doesn't even appear in the title. Reeks of favoritism

You told me, never to limit myself to one style...to use any move that works...TO KEEP AN OPEN MIND!
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 07:02:28 PM »

I am pleased to this tread. I will let you talk more about your concept and then give proper feedback.  Gentleman

C.D Buckmaster
Level 7

Death via video games

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 07:08:19 PM »

I'm sorry but this idea sounds a little too good.

You are now banned from not completing it.
ink.inc
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 07:44:47 PM »

this is the best and also you are the best

keep being kawai monster king
Geeze
Level 5

Totally.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 08:58:25 PM »

But will there be grab moves?  Hand Point Left Angry Hand Point Right
And can you eat opponents lungs while it's still alive?

The Monster King
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 09:25:20 PM »

a) most probably, not at first though but it would make sense
b) maybe? that would likely scare (reduce morale) stuff. but that would also waste time that could be spent hacking away.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic