Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:48:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsCollaborationsAre you a writer? A good one?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Are you a writer? A good one?  (Read 1793 times)
Miguelito
Level 4

makes graphics

View Profile WWW
« on: October 18, 2011, 08:22:21 AM »

Hiya,

after so many disappointments elsewhere, I come crawling here, hoping to find the right person amongst the Tigsource crowd.

I'm miguelito, I do pixel and handpainted graphics and am looking to create a very small, purely story-driven game. I have zero programming skills, so a coding guy would need to be found further down the road - but only with the story done, and finished, and illustrated.
 I could imagine, for example, a "999"-style novel game, only with illustrations and text, and a few branches. That would be my ideal project.

But you see, this would require really good graphics, and above all a really good story. So as much as I long to find the right author, I have to post some severe conditions. These might sound really harsh, but it's just things I learned after dealing with numerous people calling themselves writers.
 Please don't take them as personal offense, OK?

1.) You need to be able to write, and finish a complete story. I have lots of fancy ideas to *start* a story myself - that's not the problem. But you should be able to write satisfying, *closed* arcs with good twists.
 And preferably even have something to show. Smiley

2.) I'm a very grumpy, sarcastic old man, and I'm honestly sick with clichés. So if you were looking to write anything standard-fantasy, teenage-angsty, or anything even remotely involving zombies, then I'm afraid we wouldn't be the right match.

3.) To reiterate: I'm not a programmer, so I'm not looking to make a platformer, 3D shooter, RPG or anything involving even mediocre coding skill. Just still images, animations, branches, dialogue and brain work.

That's it, more or less. On the upside, you can write about whatever you like as long as we're both happy with it - I don't have any basic story I want to get done. I'm open to anything from Agatha Christie-style whodunits over alien dating sims in space to a luchador story involving puzzle fights.

And: If you've read all this, and even like the DS games Phoenix Wright, Ghost Trick and 999, you might just be the right person. Smiley

Thanks for reading!

Edit: And to prove I can do something with characters that are not mine, here's a few semi-relevant samples:

(No published character, but custom-made as a sample for a potential, never-realized game)

(John Charity Spring from the "Flashman" books)

(Doctor Bacterio from the Mortadelo y Filemon comics)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 01:02:50 PM by Miguelito » Logged

(← new art twitter)
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 05:29:54 AM »

I loved 999, Phoenix Wright and Ghost Trick, and I would love to write a similar visual novel-esque game. I have actually finished a screenplay and writing is my strongest suit. I can send you samples if you want.

Miguelito
Level 4

makes graphics

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 07:34:54 AM »

I'd feel honored, please do!
Feel free to share as little or as much of your screenplay as you feel comfortable, or propose an entirely new story! Smiley

(And just as a general note, I'm going to keep this thread open until I've found my match - I'll speak up here when I've finished looking!)

(← new art twitter)
Indestructible
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 09:48:34 AM »

Hi. I don't know how good I could be to "please" your standards at writing. Granted, I have never really written as story in English, just my native language. Plus I haven't really dug that deep into what 999 is all about. But I haven't read ANY "modern"  fantasy books at all. I have read almost all the the Redwall's(They are old... for me at least) the lord of the rings, the Narnia's and most things by Enid Blyton etc. I'm pretty keen to do this...

But that's not why I wanted to tell you this. I wanted to post this because I am currently in the process of actually making an engine for such a game as you describe. Here is a link to a bit outdated build-http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=22236.0

It was going to be for the Fall Folklore compo but I don't think I will finish it in time. Its so goofy because its just a test. Nothing too big yet.
Miguelito
Level 4

makes graphics

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 12:51:08 PM »

Hi Indestructible!

To be honest, I have no standards regarding perfect English grammar and spelling if you're not a native speaker - may I ask what's your native language? I can imagine penning the whole thing in #yourlanguage and then doing a translation on our side, if any. I know a few people who are writers/editors by profession, so that shouldn't really be a massive hurdle.
 If you say Enid Blyton, I guess you're from somewhere in Europe?

Again, I'm not much into fantasy (at least the serious kind), but if you feel it's worth a try, just shoot me a PM with anything you feel you can share and show around. I'd be happy to read it! Smiley

(← new art twitter)
Dragonmaw
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 12:56:11 PM »

I write. I could potentially be considered a writer. Maybe even a good one. I suppose I can send a sample.
Omega7
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 03:13:32 AM »

You seem to be writing pretty well how come ya haven't written it yourself? lol, or are you just looking for people to collaborate with?

Miguelito
Level 4

makes graphics

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 08:29:19 AM »

Er.

I meant writing in the sense of creating good stories, dialogues and scenes, not writing English...

(← new art twitter)
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic