Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411482 Posts in 69370 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 12:25:55 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsOffering Paid Work◄Mai Justice► ︻╦╤─
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: ◄Mai Justice► ︻╦╤─  (Read 6135 times)
Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« on: October 18, 2011, 10:40:00 PM »

A cultural shift known as The Glitterati Movement began to gain mainstream attention in the early 21st century. The movement represented a radical change towards self-serving attitudes, ramped materialism, abuse, and the glorification of brutal acts of violence. The revolution began as many do, in an attempt to subvert any and all organizations in power that dictate the way people live their lives. Eventually the world's companies saw the potential to capitalize on the latest fad as they promoted guns, violence, glamor, and surreal fashion styles. Driven into disconnection from their fellow man, people to adopted the next big thing; "Everything".

Fiendish, inhuman corporations peddled newer and newer must-have technologies, fashions, and attitudes. Product driven tribalism was growing amongst the world's populace. These corporations took advantage of their customer's loyalty by promoting violence towards other corporations’ customers in order to wage passive economic wars.

Meanwhile, crowd-sourced technological advances in science and medicine lead to great advancements in the fields of space faring. This crowd-sourced publicly and privately funded space travel would go on to damage the Earth's upper atmosphere. The practice that was dubbed "Bootstrapping" became more common as the secrets to solar travel were harnessed. And a grand machine was constructed in the northern midwest.

This tower-like machine was constructed in the city of Detroit-Windsor, a seemingly the perfect location to place such a device. It was built to subvert the sun's harmful rays from penetrating the newly vulnerable atmosphere. Built to fire energy directly at the sun, The Sunrod, as it was later called was installed and constructed on Belle Isle. It served as a symbol of hope for better times not only for the American city of Detroit-Windsor, but the world.

To welcome in the New Year of 2035, The Ball was dropped on The Sunrod. But this time, the New Years Ball was the prismatic crystal needed to focus The Sunrod. At 0:00 on January 1st, 2035, The Sunrod would bring darkness, torrential storms, and an endless sea of clouds in the upper atmosphere of most of the world. The areas not effected by electrically charged ionized cloud-cover were looking at prolonged exposure to types of light energy never before experienced by human flesh.

Our story revolves around those near "The Eye". Detroit-Windsor.

Technology
•Optimized for Game Pads (Dual Stick setups)
•Mouse and Keyboard
•Game Consoles
•PC
•Unity Game Engine

Mechanics (Combat)
•Twin-Stick Shooter
•Projectiles and abilities of both Players as well as enemies are created with beat of the music (BPM).
•Bullets move at a visible rate, and can be avoided

Mechanics (Non-Combat)
•Jumping and rolling can be used to traverse the environment or avoid enemy fire
•Object Interaction. Some objects can be interacted with using the [Back]/[Select]/[Enter] inputs. This includes sitting in chairs, examining scenes, playing an upright piano, or any unique interaction.
•Scripted Events and Player States (highly tied into Object Interaction).
•Dialog; textual and spoken.
•Two player arcade mode. Players can choose to play any of the five main characters. (Mai Justice, Padlock Girl, Cheiron Law, Maggie & Margarine, Jesca Hitomi)
•Game is treated as if it were a television show, as in Sakura Wars; So Long My Love

Campaign Story
•Near Future (2035)
•American City (Detroit-Windsor)
•Story of one girl’s survival and a late coming of age.
•Pop Culture in terms of music, fashion and design aesthetics inform the attitudes and feeling from the characters, environments and objects.
•Space Faring in its infancy, does not play an active role in the story. Known as "Bootstrapping".
•The Sunrod was created to stop harmful radiation from entering the atmosphere due to Bootstrapping.

Aesthetics
•Pop-art
•Bold, flat colors and shapes.
•Shadow shader is a "GIF-style" pattern. This represents both half-tone, as well as early digital image compression.
•Hardly any specular or shine, mostly matted/diffuse surfaces.
•Shading is done with color gradient.

Origin
Mai is a Detroit-Windsor native and Native American. Mai was influenced by the Glitterati Movement as much as any other normal person, yet she maintained much of the teachings that her mother and grandfather taught her.
She is very much influenced stylistically by pop culture, yet she had a great interest in all forms of storytelling. This interest she first found when listening to her grandfather’s tales of his life, and some of the folklore he knew.
Mai’s mother was rooted in tradition, much like Mai’s grandmother. Mai’s mother (Diana) would read to her every night when she was growing up, again enforcing the interest in storytelling.
Mai is a consumer of all forms of media, and powerfully critical of things that have no soul. She never bought totally into the entirety of the Glitterati Movement, learning to play an instrument was something that was becoming less important in the Glitterati Movement as much of the instrumentation was synthesized. This was one of the many ways she made Glitterati work for her.
Growing up in the digital age, Mai also had an aptitude for electronics, but made it her hobby to instigate and experiment on the earliest era of the age. Mai has a passion for fusing e-waste, old long-forgotten electronics to create devices she took pleasure in rebuilding, or more likely, creating something new. As someone who was musically gifted, she wanted to find what beautiful and unique sounds each chip might make when lovingly placed on a breadboard.
Current Life
Mai is 20, and has been working at one of the many FASHION shops in the Detroit area. After most of the locals, including her mother and grandfather died to the lightning storms or radiation, Mai began to live there. As the year progresses, she finds it convenient that a gun store shares the same block as the FASHION shop… and, being a musician, tinkerer, as well as having the need to survive skirmishes with madmen, Mai created her perfect tool.

Character Traits
Unique love for computer chips, and forcing sound out of them.
Fascination with old legends and fables.
Mai was employed one point, at the FASHION shop in which she now lives. The outside of the shop still displays mannequins wearing lavish and outlandish designs. Though the sign is worn and the windows smashed in the merchandise remains largely untouched. Mai has turned the checkout counter into a makeshift lab where she collects and keeps her breadboard projects.
Physical Traits
Height: 5'8"
Weight: 128Lbs
Ethnic Origin: Native American - Ojibwe
Hair Color: Black
Eye Color: Green
Shoe size: 7
Body Type: Quite Fit
Scars:  Small and burns scars on her hands from various failed projects involving electrical overload... or forcing bits of metal into unusual positions.
Other Features: Blue, self illuminating war-paint across her face. The ends are squared off. On the left side of her face, an extra bit of paint is in a triangular shape, and leaves that side at an angle.

Combat Style
Mai is a fast learner. After discovering an AK47 on the body of some fallen goon earlier in the year, she has become a fairly competent shot. She’s also heavily modified this weapon to fit her personal style, love for music, and fashion sense.
AK47
Mai's gun is something to see. At first it appears merely as a custom painted weapon, but upon closer inspection, one would notice the obvious modifications... most notably the guitar pickup and strings on the left side of the rifle. The rifle is used in tangent with the amp she always keeps with her.
Amp
Mai always kept an amp with her in her car before The Great Calamity. She now keep one with her at all times, on her back, with the power source kept in the space behind the speaker. This is also where Mai's modifications to the system is stored as well.

Her preferred amp has a heart-shaped speaker that glows cycling colors as sound emits from it.

The team openings are as follows;
Traditional Artist~(1 Slot)
•Must be able to show an eye for graphic design, fashion design, and have the ability to create expressive pieces.
•Have an interest for pop-culture and keep up with the current trends.
•Self-start concept art for the whole world of Mai Justice with little overt direction.
•Be willing to work with the Wolfgang (me!) to concept the world and characters.

3D Artist or Animators~(2 Slots)
•Must be a proficient modeler and texture artist.
•Have the ability to creatively
•Must be able to rig and animate.
•Must show an ability to create very exaggerated cartoon animations
•Must understand sexuality and modern gender issues in the games medium.

Programmer~(1 slots)
•Must be an absolute code wizard.
•Must be able to show creative and wacky examples of just "fun code"
•Take great joy in writing, developing and polishing features, shaders, and mechanics.
•Must have a deep-seeded interest or fascination with pop-culture or idol culture.
•Must be willing to quickly prototype areas, debug rooms, and control fluidity. (polish, polish, polish!)
•Must love Steam, and be willing to incorporate the SteamWorks API into the final product.

Filled positions~
Designer/Writer, 3D/2D Artist: Wolfgang Wozniak (Ouren) http://wolfgame.com/
Lead Programmer: Garrett Colas http://gamesbehold.tumblr.com/
Composer: Phillip Lanzbom (Postpre) http://www.postpre.tk/

Contact
Wolfgang Wozniak
Wolf (at) wolfgame.com
General
Hello (at) maijustice.com

Team Name~
Wolfgame

Project Name:
Mai Justice

Target Aim
Digital: Retail

Websites
http://www.moddb.com/games/mai-justice
http://maijustice.com/
http://wolfgame.com/

Compensation.
Monetary gains from the project will be evenly divided among the remaining team members at the time of publishing to download services, and limited retail.
Willing to negotiate.

Feedback
Please leave some here!

http://maijustice.com/
© 2010-2011 Wolfgame and Wolfgang Wozniak http://wolfgame.com/

Cool
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 11:19:19 PM by Ouren » Logged

DJprofessahK
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 08:49:55 PM »

PM sent, and I will shoot an email
Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 01:31:30 AM »

« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 05:17:01 PM by Ouren » Logged

Calum Bowen
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 06:46:36 PM »

Sweet art style! I wish you much luck on this.
Just wish the composer position was still available! haha

Can't wait to see where this goes,

Calum

ink.inc
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 07:44:06 PM »

I really, really like this.
Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 02:26:45 AM »

Droop
OH HEY GUYS!
I'm back...
On these here forums!
I just wanted to let everyone know that we are -finally- rolling on development, and it's going smoothly so far.

Right now it's just myself, and the Unity programmer working on the game, but I still need a second artist.
3D is time consuming!
If you're a 3D artist and want to come join me on the wild adventure that is game development, please PM, or email me.
I'd love to have you.
Let's make video games.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 05:16:14 PM by Ouren » Logged

Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 10:56:17 PM »

can a mod please move this thread to paid work?

ink.inc
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 11:19:10 PM »

You should probably PM a mod and ask them directly. There's only... 3 of them (Dragonmaw, Inanimate, and CA Sinclair). They don't check every single thread.
Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 12:42:18 PM »

If you all have looked over this thread, and are not interested in joining the project, could you help me to understand why?
I feel like I've been missing something this whole time.

Miguelito
Level 4

makes graphics

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 02:48:46 AM »

• Huge project scale with very undefined everything. Wizardly requirements for no up-front payment.
  • Lack of clarity regarding your own role. You're saying 2D/3D artist, but there are few art samples and all of them are obviously made by different artists (Add credits!).
  • Profit Share, but posted in Paid Work. Not professional.
  • "Recruiting" in thread title despite no regular payment. Again, suspicious.
  • Empty bumping. This is the worst.

Just my two krona, don't take it as an offense.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 02:59:00 AM by Miguelito » Logged

(← new art twitter)
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 03:36:36 AM »

If you all have looked over this thread, and are not interested in joining the project, could you help me to understand why?
I feel like I've been missing something this whole time.

If I'd be a 3D artist I still wouldn't know how do you play the game. Show some mockups or already existing similar games.
Also that "recruiting" premises paid job, I'd change it.

Looks like a really big project and not a well-planet one, what I mean is: seems like there are no assets lists, milestones lists,etc.

You put much effort in writing this thread but the most important info should be in a short form, well-understandable, and then maybe these more detailed informations.

Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 12:14:07 PM »

• Huge project scale with very undefined everything. Wizardly requirements for no up-front payment.
  • Lack of clarity regarding your own role. You're saying 2D/3D artist, but there are few art samples and all of them are obviously made by different artists (Add credits!).
  • Profit Share, but posted in Paid Work. Not professional.
  • "Recruiting" in thread title despite no regular payment. Again, suspicious.
  • Empty bumping. This is the worst.
-It's not huge, but it's also not exactly in the same scope as a cave-like. I'd honestly love nothing more than to pay people for their time and effort up front. The requirements are more like guidelines.
-All of the art, (3D included) save for the things signed by Kippery and AGS are my own, thank you very much.
-I had the thread moved because I thought it'd draw more attention here. I wasn't aware that indie developers were so corporate minded. My apologies.
-I'm putting together a team. I'm not sure how that's suspect. We all have contracts, well Garrett, Phil and I do, to make sure it's fair for everyone. Either of them will tell you I worked with them to make sure their contracts were fair and accessible
-Eh.

If I'd be a 3D artist I still wouldn't know how do you play the game. Show some mockups or already existing similar games.
Also that "recruiting" premises paid job, I'd change it.

Looks like a really big project and not a well-planed one, what I mean is: seems like there are no assets lists, milestones lists,etc.

You put much effort in writing this thread but the most important info should be in a short form, well-understandable, and then maybe these more detailed informations.
The gameplay could use some explanation, but I do feel that sort of talking about it too much at this time would be too revealing. There's a finished design doc, and a detailed sort of script that's being hammered out. Why would I post asset lists, milestones and all of that here? People who are looking for projects aren't looking for a laundry list of every minor thing they might do, are they?

I can shorten the OP up, and clean it up some more, certainly.

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 01:23:14 PM »

Sorry, my bad. I didn't mean that. What I should say is that there should be some more organizational info, ie. estimated production time, etc.

And I think that background story isn't the first thing that possible candidate would like to see.

Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 02:13:52 PM »

Sorry, my bad. I didn't mean that. What I should say is that there should be some more organizational info, ie. estimated production time, etc.

And I think that background story isn't the first thing that possible candidate would like to see.

You're probably right. At least on a seemingly more technically focused site, gameplay comes first.

ink.inc
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 06:35:24 PM »

hmm

looking through her (kippery's) tumblr i saw the actual picture posted with the subtitle

"Character design for a project called “Mai Justice”."

So... not actually stolen...

http://kippery.tumblr.com/page/10

EDIT: this was a response to a deleted comment
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 07:33:49 PM by John Sandoval » Logged
ink.inc
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2012, 07:07:54 PM »

I wasn't aware that indie developers were so corporate minded. My apologies.

even artists have to eat
Theophilus
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2012, 07:13:54 PM »

ooooooooo

drama
:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2012, 07:17:45 PM »

Mmmmk....

The whole thing just feels very wonky and pseudo-something.

I'm keeping my eyes on this.  Hand Point Left Cool
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2012, 06:00:58 AM »

Drama, ON the internet?!
(Btw this game looks interesting. Nice logo/logotype work.)

Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2012, 08:17:17 PM »

Mmmmk....

The whole thing just feels very wonky and pseudo-something.

I'm keeping my eyes on this.  Hand Point Left Cool
I wasn't aware that indie developers were so corporate minded. My apologies.

even artists have to eat

I didn't mean to stir up any suspicion. :[
If you want, please feel free to call me over skype if you want to sort of... I don't know... make sure I'm not evil or something.

I'm not trying to rob anyone of their time or talent. Hell, I even outright say that I'm financially unable to pay anyone until there is money. I graduated in 2010 with a $75,000 education, and have been unable to find work since then. I'm in debt, and unemployed. That's the reason I'd like to use the "no one gets paid until everyone gets paid" model.

Surely you can understand that. Also, there's not any real drama here, because no money has changed hands at all, there's been no profit, and the game is still in really early development.

Shrug

« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 05:14:16 PM by Ouren » Logged

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic