Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411419 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 08:53:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsForest Defense
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Forest Defense  (Read 6592 times)
Okkwogg
Level 0

hello

View Profile WWW
« on: October 19, 2011, 12:28:05 PM »

Forest Defense is a game that melds Tower Defense and Platformer genres together. I've been developing it for around 2 months or so.

You can visit my website at:

http://forestdefense-game.blogspot.com/

I also have a demo uploaded. Please give it a try and tell me what you think! Smiley
Here's the latest version:

Forest Defense v0.31

Also, if you like the game and would like to follow me on Twitter:

http://twitter.com/okkwogg

So that's all for now. I'll be posting as often as I can.
Thanks for reading!

« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 04:53:19 AM by Okkwogg » Logged

negativeview
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 05:13:44 PM »

Looks super awesome. Unfortunately I'm on a Mac, and unless you say otherwise I assume it's Windows only. I am REALLY digging the art style though.

Okkwogg
Level 0

hello

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 07:19:09 PM »

Thanks negativeview! I'm really sorry you can't play it. As you correctly assumed it's windows only. Sad

Okkwogg
Level 0

hello

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 12:33:53 PM »

So, here we go.

DevLog Entry #001

Let me start by telling you what I want to accomplish with the game.
I have 3 main objectives:

1) To make the forest ecosystem a living thing. Where the extension and location of every plant and grass patch you grow has an impact on the forest "ecosystem". I want creatures to interact with each other and with the environment.

2) To give many different solutions to levels depending on how the player wants his forest to be. You could focus on fairy plants and have an enchanted carnivorous plant-ridden forest or focus on wild plants and populate it with the strongest beasts.

3) To capture the essence of Tower Defense games while adding some platformer action.

So, let's see now what we have so far in the game.

Energy Types:
The MC can tune herself to magical stones that are scattered across the forest to charge herself with magical energies. There are 2 types right now, the Wild Stone and the Fairy Stone and each tunes to its appropriate energy type.
The stone you're tuned to determines the type of grass and plants you'll grow as well as the properties of your aura and shots.
Right now we have:

Wild Energies:
-Grants a slight protection against attacks.
-Its shots are the strongest ones.
-It grows Wild Grass, the basic grass type which spawns pixies and forest animals.

Fairy Energies:
-Grants protection against magical attacks.
-Its shots are weaker but slow down enemies on impact and have an area of effect(AoE not done yet).
-It grows Fairy Grass, a magical grass that turns pixies into fairies and slows down and weakens enemies.

There will be a third energy type which comes from tuning to a Dark Stone but it's not implemented yet.

Plants:

Plants are Forest Defense equivalent to towers. To grow them you need to spend magical energies on a fertile soil tile that is covered with grass. These magical energies are collected by catching different fey beings such as pixies(wild), fairies(fairy) and gnomes(dark).

There are many plants to choose from and they all come from an unique combination of grass + energy type. For example, if you spend wild energies on a wild grass patch you'll get a Pixie Bush. But if you were to spent fairy energies on a wild grass patch you'd get a Thistle Bush intead.
Then you can also upgrade or customize some of these plants by spending more energy on them.
You can see some examples on the following list:

wild grass + wild energy(10) = pixie bush

pixie bush + wild energy(20) = pixie hive

pixie hive + fairy energy(30) = fairy fortress (not available yet)

wild grass + wild energy(10) = thistle bush

fairy grass + fairy energy(10) = guardian flowers

guardian flowers + fairy energy(5) = dart shooting flower

guardian flowers + wild energy(5) = carnivorous flower

For more information on the plants and creatures that currently inhabit the forest check this page: http://forestdefense-game.blogspot.com/p/plants-and-creatures.html

Well, I guess that's enough for an introduction. Tongue
Now the last things I worked on(not available on the demo though) are:

-Thistle Bush: (ex berry bush): A plant that turns pixies into redcaps and enables the spawning of lynxes from wild grass.

-Redcaps: A more aggressive version of the pixie that deals more damage to enemies but damages the player when collected for wild energies.

-Redcap Cocoons: If a redcap absorbs enough fairy energies from a fairy grass patch it will turn into a Redcap Cocoon. Unlike Pixies', Redcap Cocoons never open and instead stay on the ground acting as mines.

-Optimized Pixie code to improve performance.

-Tuned difficulty progression.

So that's all for the first entry. Smiley
Oh, in case you don't know the artist responsible for most of the graphics you can see in the game is no longer in the project. So now I'm doing all graphics and animations myself and everything is taking longer to get finished... Cry
If anybody knows of someone who would be interested in working with me on the project please let me know. My budget is very low right now but we could go for a 30%/70% of what we earn with the game.

Thanks for reading!

Okkwogg

« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 04:56:35 PM by Okkwogg » Logged

Okkwogg
Level 0

hello

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 03:35:41 PM »

DevLog Entry #002

Hi there! This time I'd like to talk about creatures. Both the ones already implemented and the new ones.
The idea with creatures is that they spawn (normally from Wild Grass) and wander around till they bump into an enemy. They used to have a limited lifespawn after which they would despawn but now they're permanent(untill killed of course) but have a max population size.
Most creatures attack humans on sight but others provide other services as well, such as resources, healing, etc...

First the Old ones:

-Pixie: Most basic unit. It throws tiny spears at humans and can be collected for Wild Energies. They can also be turned into Fairies and Redcaps with the proper plants.

-Fairies: They can be collected for Fairy Energies. And that's all they do for now. Tongue

-Redcap: Aggresive pixies that can be turned into mines(redcap cocoons)instead of Fairies, damage players when catched and have stronger spears.

-Badger: Weak but aggresive. Smiley

-Boars: Tough and resilient. They have one bad habit though: they eat mushrooms and cocoons! They also eat human corpses but that's ok. They'll be able to charge at enemies in the future.

-Bears: Strongest basic creature. They spawn very rarely but are very hard to take down!

And now the new ones:

-Partridge: Even weaker than the Badger. It's basically just a nuisance but if it survives long enough it may build a nest. You'll then be able to spend energies on the eggs to hatch a Basilisk.

-Lynx: It's weaker than the Boar but it enters combat with a pounce attack that deals extra damage and stuns the target.

-Saehrimnir Hog: This is one of the first special creatures you'll be getting. These creatures are more like a pet in the sense that they can be herded and if you take good care of them they grow stronger and mature into a final form.
In the case of the Saehrimnir Hog you need to summon it from a Wild Stone by spending 50 wild energy points on it. It spawns as a piglet; weaker than normal boars but with the ability to regenerate hitpoints. He will eat pixies, mushrooms, cocoons and corpses to gain size until it's fully developed. In his mature state he's as big as a bear but stronger.

So those are the new creatures. Hope you like them.

Now the tasks that got done since last entry:

-Made graphics for the Lynx and the Saehrimnir Hog.(no animations yet)

-Almost finished implementing the Saehrimnir Hog.

-Implemented the Lynx.

-Started working on the Partridge and its nests.

Thanks for reading. Smiley
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 11:04:44 AM by Okkwogg » Logged

Okkwogg
Level 0

hello

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 08:34:09 PM »

Devlog Entry #003:

-Boars now stop moving while eating and play their proper animation.

-Fixed facing bug. Now animals properly face the enemy that's attacking them.

-Minor animals like badgers and boars are no longer permanent and despawn after a while. It wasn't working very well so I had to change it. Bears and more advanced animals will stay permanent.

-Fixed floating Cocoon bug.

-Made the art for the Saehrimnir Piglet.

Aaaand..... thanks for reading! Smiley

Okkwogg
Level 0

hello

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 05:45:14 PM »

Partridges! Look how they eat that poor dog alive! Shocked

Oh, there's a new easier link for the demo for those who haven't tried it yet! (most people here XD)

Forest Defense Demo v0.22

Devlog Entry #004:

-Made gfxs for the Partridges and their nests.

-Made gfxs for the Thistle Bush.

-Implemented Partridges.

-Finished implementing the Saerhimnir Hog and Piglet.

-Fixed crazy Thistle Bush bug.

-Started working on a new level.

That's all! Thanks for dropping by!

Okkwogg
Level 0

hello

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 07:18:32 PM »

DevLog Entry #005:

-Finished running animation for the girl. (it looks better now)
-Worked on the idle attack animation for the girl.
-Almost finished militiaman's animations. (walk, attack, die)
-Optimized enemies and animals to improve performance.
-Rebalanced animals and enemies.

As you can probably see I still haven't found an animator so I'm doing the animations myself.   Coffee

Okkwogg
Level 0

hello

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 02:56:22 PM »

DevLog Entry #006:

-Implemented new terrible enemy: "the sheep". (it'll devour your lawn!!)

-Level 8 implemented.

-Balanced enemy stats even more.

-Optimized enemies again.

-Optimized grass.

Thanks for reading and happy Halloween!

Okkwogg
Level 0

hello

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 05:29:43 PM »

DevLog Entry #007:

- Made a basic debriefing screen.

- Made an ingame menu so that you can no longer accidentally quit to the menu. Smiley

- Finished Militiaman's animations.

- Made a new enemy: Mercenary.

- Fixed a bug with the Redcap Cocoons.

Oh, I'll also be updating the demo this friday. New levels, new enemies and more! Smiley
Thanks for reading!

Okkwogg
Level 0

hello

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 07:45:07 AM »

Hello there!
I've just uploaded a new demo version. You've got 8 levels to play now and the thistle bush as a new plant. Partridge eggs, lynxes and Saehrimnir hogs are disabled for now though (until I get their animations done and fix some minor issues).
My idea is to release a new version soon with an improved debriefing screen, a game over screen, more animations, some extra polishing and possibly one or two extra levels.

Download: Forest Defense Demo v0.24

DevLog Entry #008:

-Added some animations for the girl.
-Polished all levels.
-Started working on the animations for the lynx and the mercenary.
-Fixed some Redcaps and Thistle Bush issues.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 08:01:15 AM by Okkwogg » Logged

Okkwogg
Level 0

hello

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 06:11:35 PM »

Hi there, I've been quite busy and I haven't been able to work on forest defense as much as I would've wanted. Mostly I focused on new ideas and designs for the game. Things like neutral creatures that attack both humans and the player, side quests (protect this plant, kill that boss, collect all mushrooms of a certain type), new plants, etc....

DevLog Entry #009:

-Mercenary implemented and fully animated.
-Made some experiments with side quests.

And that's all for now. Smiley

JackMenhorn
Level 2

Sound Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011, 05:44:19 AM »

Love the look!

Sound Designer<br />www.jackmenhorn.com

Nova-111 OST: https://jackmenhorn.bandcamp.com/album/nova-111
Okkwogg
Level 0

hello

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2011, 11:23:03 AM »

Thanks!  Beer!

Okkwogg
Level 0

hello

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2011, 04:56:52 PM »

Back in action!
I've got some new stuff implemented and you can now tune to 3 different types of energies.

DevLog Entry #010:

-Dark Stone: A new type of stone. Tuning yourself to it will grant you the power to grow Rotweed and shoot dark bolts.

-Rotweed: A new type of grass. When enemies die on it their spirit is extracted from their bodies in the form of a Will O'Wisp.

-Dark Bolts: Weaker than Wild and Fairy bolts but with the ability to fly through enemies damaging everyone on their path.

-Will O'Wisps: Float around doing nothing for now. Can be collected for dark energies.

-Death Mushrooms: A plant that grows on rotweed-covered fertile soil. For every Death Mushroom on the map there's a 5% cummulative chance that enemies dead on Rotweed will be raised as zombies.

-Started working on the Zombies: They will attack enemies and allies alike, and even the player unless he's tuned to a Dark Stone.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 02:05:53 AM by Okkwogg » Logged

Okkwogg
Level 0

hello

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2011, 04:50:24 PM »

DevLog Entry #011:

-New Level added.
-First Boss added.
-Started working on the second boss.

☺♂~♪♫~♪~♫♪♪~♫

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2011, 06:25:28 PM »

I like the different types of energy you can channel, and how each one suits different playstyles. Definitely intrigued.

Do the Dark Energies have the same amount of options as the other energies, in terms of plants?
Okkwogg
Level 0

hello

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2011, 09:40:53 AM »

Thanks Inanimate! Yes all energy types have the same amount of options. Smiley
There'll be a total of 9 basic plants (3 different types of grass * 3 different energy auras).
Here's the current list:

◙◙◙ Basic Plants: ◙◙◙

Wild Grass:
   ►Wild Energies: Pixie Bush (done)
   ►Fairy Energies: Thistle Bush (done)
   ►Dark Energies: Mandrake (not done yet)
Fairy Grass:
   ►Wild Energies: Fairy Tree (not done yet)
   ►Fairy Energies: Guardian Flowers (done)
   ►Dark Energies: xxx (not done yet)
Rotweed:
   ►Wild Energies: Slime Mold (not done yet)
   ►Fairy Energies: Fungal Colony (not done yet)
   ►Dark Energies: Death Mushrooms (done but missing the zombies)

And then I also have advanced plants like the Pixie Hive, the Fairy Fortress, the Thistle Man, the ManEater and some others. Smiley

« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 05:20:42 PM by Okkwogg » Logged

Okkwogg
Level 0

hello

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2011, 06:26:02 PM »

DevLog Entry #012:

-New Level added. (10 levels so far :D)
-Second Boss added.
-New Plant: Fungal Colony. (spawns mushrooms)

Cool
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 11:10:58 PM by Okkwogg » Logged

Okkwogg
Level 0

hello

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2011, 11:10:01 PM »

DevLog Entry #013:

-Added a new enemy: The Hunter (shoots arrows)
-Fixed plants duplication bug.
-Fixed animation bug when jumping.

Coffee

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic