Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411525 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 05:47:52 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesMage Gauntlet - pixelly iOS action RPG
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Mage Gauntlet - pixelly iOS action RPG  (Read 3984 times)
klabelkholosh
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2011, 12:32:01 PM »

This may be worth mentioning, seeing as how it's one of the few RPG type games on the iPhone where you can move diagonally Giggle

From Rocketcat Games, the folks behind Hook Champ et al.

That chick let my frog out
I mean it hopped and hopped, out into space
Adrian's gone, gone
deathtotheweird
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 04:27:27 PM »

that does look nice. shame it's iOS only.

also worthy of mention is these guys are the ones who paid for the PirateKart IGF fee.

buy it cuz they are cool gents.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 01:48:02 AM »

yo just droppin' by to say that mage gauntlet is excellent. it's everything a good mobile game should be and has one of the best "virtual button" control schemes i've ever seen.

and yeah, the rocketcat guys are cool people.
Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 10:53:52 AM »

The first really interesting 2D Action-RPG I've seen for iOS.
I've already loved the excellent free Solomon's Boneyard, but that is "only" an arena-style game, whereas I've found its campaign-mode-fueled brother Solomon's Keep to be boring.
I'm not one to just buy iOS games on day 1, but - bought.

Note that it's 33% off only today, plus a tiny bit of free stuff. Apparently their games are rarely discounted, anyway.

From the trailer it also reminds me quite a bit of a top-down version of the DS Castlevanias. Intrigued!

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 11:32:24 AM »

From the trailer it also reminds me quite a bit of a top-down version of the DS Castlevanias. Intrigued!
It's actually pretty linear and surprisingly arcadey, divided into stages, though there are hidden paths and items in each stage. And that's why it works so well as a mobile game imo. When I'm playing on the bus or sth, i don't really want to play some "epic adventure" with a huge open world and tons of sidequests I need to keep track of. This game's bite-sized levels are perfect for playing in short bursts, and they still manage to feel quite meaty (particularly the Boarland world Wink).

It's also worth noting that even though there's equipment and leveling and all that RPG jazz, it has zero grinding which is pretty sweet.
randomshade
Level 1

Fastzelda

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 12:24:22 PM »

...one of the best "virtual button" control schemes i've ever seen.

I'm really happy you mentioned this; I hadn't picked up the game just because virtual DPads make me weep uncontrollably, even though I thought it looked interesting. Went ahead and bought it and really like the controls and am enjoying the game. Probably the best iOS Link to the Past-esque I've played.
Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 01:12:07 PM »

Just played it for a while. Really nice, fun game. And indeed, no grinding at all. For example, Zelda-like there a tons of bushes to cut down, but the only effect of doing so is that the game makes fun of you for thinking you might get any reward out of it Grin

It does seem like the game can get very repetitive if you play it for too long, but as you said it seems perfectly suitable for a mobile game you play in rather short bursts every now and again Smiley

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
Kepa
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 01:57:49 PM »

Hey cool a TIGS thread.

I wonder how I could make the game less repetitive.  Like no one really calls Diablo repetitive.  I wonder if we just need a loot system?  Or maybe people are referring to the earlier parts of the game, which are pretty repetitive especially in terms of enemy AI.  We did it that way because of the iOS audience, so there was an extremely slow difficulty curve in story mode.  In hindsight, there were better ways to do that.

There's some GRINDING if you really want to do it, but it's really hidden and extremely optional.  Like every enemy has a small chance to drop a hat.  That's the big one.  Really I wanted to make sure you could play through the game, both story and master mode, without ever grinding at all.

We've actually had some complaints that breaking stuff and chopping down bushes "doesn't do anything", so we added a 1/1000 chance that breaking something spawns a magical gnome.  The gnome doesn't do anything, he just points at you and screams.  If you hit him, he changes colors.  So hopefully that will satisfy people  Hand Money Left Hand Money Right
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 05:53:48 PM »

Hi!  Kiss

I love this game. I picked it up last night and I've had a lot of fun playing it. First and foremost, great job on the production value. The effects and transitions, and animations are very well done, and that sheen of polish adds a ton to the game. I'm still waiting for the greater depth to set in, I'm still at roughly the beginning of the game. I really like the mechanics so far! The action also feels very polished, fluid, and well thought-out. So good job!

I'd say that no, that game doesn't need a loot system.

I think the problem is that there's been a general lack of "meat" in the levels. The lack of any kind of thing popping out of bushes and crates being an example of this. There are so many things in the game that are destructible and explorable, but there's never any kind of reward for it. No cool things to see or useful/rare items/spells to get. It feels like when I go off the beaten path or out of my way to explore the level that I'm just wasting my time-- that's the problem.

The gnome is cool though, haha! I've yet to find one, but that's definitely a sweet little easter egg.

Kepa
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 08:00:31 PM »

A loot system, even a really simple one, would help flesh out the levels with things to find.

Gnome's not in yet, still waiting on Apple to approve the update.

Thanks!  Let me know what you think of the game when you get further in.  I have a feeling that a lot of it is that we made the beginning of the game too slow paced.
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 09:47:50 PM »

Well, the only thing is that a loot system could potentially promote grinding. Things to keep in mind!  Giggle

Personally, I was thinking more along the lines of having rare/powerful spells exist off the beaten path. So that if you went and explored like that you'd be rewarded for it. On the other hand, it looks like your spell jars are randomized, and that really doesn't solve the problem of destroying stuff being pointless. Ah well!~

On a final note for now, I'd gladly buy a sequel or spiritual successor to this game.

The Monster King
Level 10

FRKUC im ALWAYS ANGRY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnerd

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2011, 11:36:06 PM »

I agree with jakman, reward exploration instead of repetition GOTTA KILL ALL RED ELVES TO GET MY RED ELF SWORD

id like to play this game too bad i am not in love with apple products (at all)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2011, 04:56:40 AM »

yup one of the things i like about this game (as opposed to most other action rpgs on the appstore) is that doesn't have a loot system and isn't based around collecting trinkets.
Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2011, 09:03:14 AM »

I've played to the third world map now. In general, the game is really great so far Smiley
I think the difficulty curve is very appropriate. It takes a while to get used to timing attacks and charges, dashing at the right time, etc. I'm an experienced player, but I didn't see a problem with the beginning being too slow or so.
I also don't think there needs to be more loot. There is a nice variety of ways to get the hats, which reward you every now and then when you don't really expect it, and only getting few, but rather important items through the chests is also nice.
But, I see some problems with the items in general: A lot of them just aren't that interesting. I lost interest in getting new armor when I found out that in the beginning, all armor you get does "+55% crit change for spell XY", with only the influenced spell being different. By now I've only found one different kind of armor, again with only the spell names changing throughout the different models. So, despite having found 10 or more armors, they are really only 2 different kinds (so far?).
It's better with the weapons, as there are no "clones", but I expected them to have a larger impact on the actual combat. This is actually why I first thought Mage Gauntlet might be similar to DS Castlevanias. I hoped the weapons would have different sizes and maybe just totally different kinds of attacks, but so far I only got two weapons with slower attack speeds, one of them with higher damage. That's already nice, but I think there is a lot of potential for more.
Lastly, the trinkets are a bit rare in my opinion. It's nice that you're able to influence what spells you might get, but so far I only have trinkets for a few specific spells, some of which I don't even want to use. So, at the moment I'm just constantly using the one which give you +1 heart, which seems to be by far the most useful one I have.

To sum that up, I don't think the game is really flawed as regards the items, but there is a lot of untapped potential for the planned successors Smiley

By now I am really enjoying the combat with the harder enemies, as you constantly have to think about when and where to charge, how often to attack before dashing away, saving up spells for just the right moment, how to most efficiently use them, etc. And that's just great for what this game is. But, I think if you want to motivate players for longer periods of time, there needs to be more variation.

My only bigger gripe are the secret rooms, or rather the enemies in them. And permanently locked doors. It's nice that there are secrets to find, and it's well done that sometimes you get bits of little stories, and at other times rewards like spells and hp. But, I find it very annoying that to get all 3 stars on a level, you usually have to find every single one of those rooms, because of the enemies that are often in them.
For this reason, I so often fight through an entire level, only to find out at the very end, that I missed one of the secret rooms, thus having to backtrack a lot. This is still bearable, but in the later levels, very often doors permanently lock behind you, while you are still unaware if you missed any secrets rooms. So, again, you fight through the whole level, find out that you forgot some enemies - only now you can't backtrack, but instead you have to retry the level if you want all stars. And, hell, even when retrying I still keep forgetting some secret rooms at times. That's really annoying.
Thus, if nothing else, it would help a lot if at least those doors would always open again after clearing a room, so that you can always backtrack through the entire level from the end. While that's still boring, at least it doesn't frustrate.

But, all in all, really: Great job on the game, which is also a fine foundation for whereever you want to take the series Smiley

One last thing, and this is not criticism: I noticed in some of your posts that you seem to be very concerned with what iOS-players will appreciate or dislike, what exactly they expect from their purchases, etc. This is very reasonable considering that understandably you probably want to make as much profit as possible. But, I hope in the process you don't neglect what kinds of games you want to make, and what ideas you would love to bring to life in these Smiley
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 09:15:36 AM by MisterX » Logged

Kepa
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2011, 11:28:35 AM »

@Sinclair: Bbbut it is based around collecting trinkets.

@MisterX: Yeah we need to flesh out the RPG progression stuff in sequels.  A lot of the problem with the items was a combination of the hearts system and randomized spell system.  In tandem, they really limit what we had to play with in terms of tweaking loot.  Can't have damage reduction items really, because you either lose half a heart or a whole one, no in-betweens.  You can't pick what your favorite spell is, so we couldn't do enemy vulnerability or subtle spell changes or anything like that.

I'm thinking of going back and making sure none of the doors close behind you, but that would be a pretty big undertaking.  Maybe chalking it up to experience and never doing permanently closed doors again.  It was mostly done as a NO GO THIS WAY thing, for players really new to the genre, but also partially because we didn't have a map in the game until super late.

The last thing: It's not so much as making a big a profit as possible as pissing people off as little as possible, though I guess those are related ideas.  I mostly act on feedback that magnify little doubts I already had, but ended up having to suppress for time reasons.

I think the only thing that I really didn't see coming was removing OpenFeint and having to completely change the GET BACK UP button to make it more obvious.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2011, 01:20:50 PM »

Just looking at the trailer (sorry no ios) I bet the repetitiveness came from the enemy design. Basically they are MOBS in ARENA.

What's a mob? They are dumb enemy who move toward you at varying speed, have varying health, varying hit frequency and varying range. And that's all, one template for all of them. You end up in all games with the same archetype: the flyer, the rusher, the archer or mage, the tank, the kamikaze and the canon fodder. Sometimes with elemental weakness swap so we are sure you cycle through weapon and spells.For me it's boring not only across one game but also across many game. I admit the fun of the game come from the crowd control aspect.

To add variety try to create level as playground and enemy as toy. I mean how about different pattern of interaction? Should all enemy deal damage?Some enemy might just deal heavy knock back, some enemy might circle around you before attacking, some enemy might be invincible but limit your movement, some enemy might bounce back all other the place and hurt everything in their passage, you might have magnet who affect any metallic object blocking player and enemy alike, you might have enemy who drop weak wood sword that might be useful in magnetic area, you might have heavy metallic enemy you lure into a magnet to block it, so you can use your sword or use them to sort and trap those enemy and kill them with wood sword while they are immobilized ... Ultimately, having different pattern of enemy allow you for more meaningful combination of gameplay, spell, level design, and group of enemy.

Dragonmaw
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2011, 02:14:31 PM »

I have bought everyone RocketCat game so far and I will buy this one too.

Eventually.
Kepa
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2011, 03:22:23 PM »

@TILBERT: Yeah.  At the least we should come at it from a roguelike perspective (the good ones), where almost every enemy has an interesting behavior that sets it apart.  We'll have more time to do stuff like this in the next game, now that we have the engine done and a good base for the combat.
ricepirate
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2011, 12:08:07 PM »

I'm glad to know the Gnome does nothing. I just found (killed) him on the 1st level of the final tower in Master Mode.  Was gonna hunt for him again in case he dropped something ...

thanks for saving me hours of grinding :D

— Rice
ricepirate.newgrounds.com
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic