Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 02:05:04 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTetrinvaders (Working Title XNA Project) - RIP :(
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Tetrinvaders (Working Title XNA Project) - RIP :(  (Read 3830 times)
grayfox88
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: October 21, 2011, 10:02:32 AM »

Angry Shit happens. Shortly after my last post, I backed up all my projects to a portable hard drive (including a ton of client work) and formatted my machine. When I went to restore all the data, the portable drive hiccupped and it was all gone. I lost everything to do with Tetrinvaders except this Dev Log. I've only recently recovered from the losses and am ready to take a stab at xna development again, which may include restarting this project - more to come. See you around! Toast Right

----Original Post----

Hello! This Dev Log is for my action puzzle game with the working title Tetrinvaders. I'm developing this in my free time, which is now all the time, and will post weekly videos displaying my progress.

About
Tetrinvaders is an action puzzle game that mixes the puzzle elements of Tetris with the shooting action of a game like Space Invaders for PC and Xbox 360.

Gameplay - Wave Defense Gametype
Wave defense is round based. Active enemy blocks will enter the screen at timed intervals alone or in waves and will fire on your ship, with a boss wave towards the end of each round. Enemies will move along the grid, and when you fire upon and destroy an enemy, you must place it in your 'scrap pile' at the bottom of the grid. If an active enemy collides with your scrap pile, they will explode and take out any adjacent blocks, as well as trigger any explosive type blocks. When you create a complete line in your scrap pile you can collect it and either sell it for credits or use the scrap to upgrade your ship. There will be different scrap blocks to provide special upgrades or sell for more credits. Credits can be used to buy ammo, supplies, and blueprints for upgrades. You can upgrade your ship and purchase supplies in between rounds.

Upgrades vary from things such as armor, speed boosts, shields to weapons such as an emp bomb, plasma launcher, and railgun.

I intend game play to be fast-paced, starting out with a casual speed up to having boss waves with bullet hell shmup gameplay. I will tweak the design as I figure out what works and what doesn't, but feedback on what you see here is important and much appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Week 1

Week 2

Quote from: original post
Hello everyone, I'm starting this DevLog for my new XNA project I've been calling Tetrinvaders. To put it basically its tetris meets space invaders, with some tower defense elements thrown in.

I just put together a youtube video showing my current progress for now. I started this project on a rainy day back in March and then let it sit until now. The video explains some of the gameplay, I'll update this post with more details as I go.

So yeah,

I'd appreciate any feedback so far, and does anybody know the legalities of using the prefix Tetr-? Will I get sued?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 01:55:46 PM by grayfox88 » Logged

Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 01:56:46 PM »

This has potentional!
Was this by any chance inspired by wizorb?
Would be cool if you could change the blocks into something more "space invader-ish".

grayfox88
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 09:02:55 AM »

Until now I've never heard of Wizorb! Now I probably won't get any work done! A breakout with rpg elements? I'm sold.

I'm in Calgary for the weekend visiting folks so I won't be able to post another update until Sunday night, but I plan on finishing bullet collision and collision detection between blocks, as well as having the enemy 'ships' change color and become inactive when they are shot at.

I'm no artist, so I'll probably need some help with sprites, but for now I'm just going to get the gameplay down.

PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 09:16:33 AM »

I am not sure how this game works, but it looks like a creative idea!
Good luck with your game!

Master of all trades.
grayfox88
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 12:33:06 PM »

Great news! I got laid off  Shrug! So now I can work on Tetrinvaders 24/7! I'll upload a new video later today of my progress this week. I didn't get the collision stuff done but worked on a new graphical style instead, got some animations and a layered, scrolling background.

DGH94
Level 0

Newbie Dev

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 12:45:40 PM »

Great news! I got laid off  Shrug! So now I can work on Tetrinvaders 24/7! I'll upload a new video later today of my progress this week. I didn't get the collision stuff done but worked on a new graphical style instead, got some animations and a layered, scrolling background.

Damn dude, so sorry. But atleast you're looking at it in the positive light. Smiley Lookin' forward to that video!

Check out my DevLog? What if I told you there was cake? (Not yet, well, maybe never, but cake is always enticing.)
grayfox88
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 04:22:08 PM »

Sorry I'm late, today was my last day at work. Here's that new video showing some progress towards a new art style, I'll flesh out the gameplay and fix collision over the weekend and put together a real game summary for you folks. Enjoy for now!

grayfox88
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 12:56:24 PM »

Added a game play description to the first post. Check it out and lets hear some opinions!

kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 01:00:27 PM »

+1 for saying what is it being made it  Smiley.

Is it gonna be PC or rather XBox?

grayfox88
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2011, 01:04:28 PM »

Both Xbox 360 and PC at launch. That's the plan anyways!

delete me
Level 0

This account is very old, I don't use it.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2011, 02:00:03 PM »

Both Xbox 360 and PC at launch. That's the plan anyways!

Are you considering Windows Phone 7 at least? I think this game would work really well with a touch input and it doesn't look like you're using anything that the reach profile effects can't do.
grayfox88
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2011, 02:09:18 PM »

I will be looking at supporting iphone/ipad, android, and windows 7 phone in the future, as I would like to see this on as many platforms as possible.

Porting for windows 7 first shouldn't be an issue, I'm using game components so I can just swap my input handler with one that uses the touch library.  But my cellphone carrier doesn't have any windows 7 phones and my iPhone is broken, so I'm waiting for something new to come out.

grayfox88
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2011, 08:45:08 AM »

Week 3 Update

I got a contract job this week so I didn't work on the game much, but I've fixed the collision and rotation issues with the block groups last night, and will be working on the game all day today. I will post another update tonight or tomorrow.

Dr.Electro
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2011, 11:37:11 AM »

i watched the video and read your description... but i have no clue how the gameplay works.

maybe you should post a video with time leaps, so that one can see how the blocks stack or what happens when they are not or if they hit you or -- im confused.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic