Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411485 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 08:25:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallTIGdb - Suggestions!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: TIGdb - Suggestions!  (Read 37392 times)
GlingGling
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 12, 2008, 09:46:21 PM »

At the risk of doing something I shouldn't I've created this thread so that there is a one stop shop for suggestions. Feel free to destroy this, or ban me, or sticky this, or eat some chips.

Non-runners of tigdb stop reading here.

I will start things off. I just submitted a game for review and then... I realized that somehow I completely disregarded the submission guidelines. Maybe I'm an idiot (possible) or maybe my brain was still reeling from playing Virtual Silence (more possible) but once I submitted my entry and was taken back to the top of a fresh submission page I was flabbergasted (yes, that's right) to see the guidelines suddenly appear. There was flabber and gast everywhere!

Ho this is taking long. My suggestion is to make the text for the submission guidelines BIGGER and possibly with some color so peoples eyes are attracted to it. This didn't screw me up much (just the homepage thing) but others may not be so fortunate.

Fellow suggestioners post down there. (points below)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 06:32:00 PM by GlingGling » Logged
medieval
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 09:42:43 AM »

Make a 'report broken link' feature. Not being able to download Hakaiman pisses me off.
Slylandro
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 01:40:42 PM »

I'm sure someone has already mentioned this, but in case no one has: Add a new option to specify minimum # of ratings for the games being searched for.  I hate it when there are so many 5's and 4's just because only 1 person has rated the game.  Also, consider enforcing a minimum # of ratings (maybe 5?) before letting a game appear on the "top games" list.  Or let people choose somehow.
GlingGling
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 07:30:12 PM »

I'm sure someone has already mentioned this, but in case no one has: Add a new option to specify minimum # of ratings for the games being searched for.  I hate it when there are so many 5's and 4's just because only 1 person has rated the game.  Also, consider enforcing a minimum # of ratings (maybe 5?) before letting a game appear on the "top games" list.  Or let people choose somehow.

I'll second this. They do this in the NBA when they list the top players in scoring, rebounding, etc. For top 5 in points per game players must have a minimum amount total points and games played to be listed.
diaskeaus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 11:39:41 PM »

1. I've submitted two games already, and the one thing I've needed for both is a Comment box on the submission screen that allows me to explain how to find the game in a given website.  A lot of freeware games are hard to find inside a website, because they are so old and out of date.  Or the Comment box could equally serve as a disclaimer in case I'm not sure about something.

2. It would be cool if in our user profiles could be listed the games we submitted which were accepted.  On a purely selfish note.  Smiley
GlingGling
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 01:29:13 PM »

2. It would be cool if in our user profiles could be listed the games we submitted which were accepted.  On a purely selfish note.  Smiley

This is actually a good thing from a non-selfish point of view as well. Rewarding people for their efforts helps to keep them coming back for more.
GlingGling
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 03:24:09 PM »

I think a good feature would be: "See this user's reviews." Sometimes if a user writes a review and you think they really have similar preferences you'd like to see what other games they've reviewed so you can find games that would interest you.

A solution to this is a member's profile page, but it doesn't need to be this involved.
progrium
Level 2

Swords will fucking cut you wide open!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 07:45:55 PM »

We already show all your reviews on your profile page.

Jeff Lindsay
progrium.com
GlingGling
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 10:20:09 PM »

We already show all your reviews on your profile page.

Maybe there is absolutely nothing wrong with the db. Maybe there is something absolutely wrong with me. The absent minded professor(not really) at your service.
progrium
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 01:23:21 PM »

If you have more suggestions, you should submit them to http://tigdb.uservoice.com

These are all great, but it's easier to track them there instead in forums. Discussion is fine, but they're more likely to be implemented on the UserVoice page.

Jeff Lindsay
progrium.com
diaskeaus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 03:01:56 PM »

Hey, that's cool.
GlingGling
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 06:33:05 PM »

If you have more suggestions, you should submit them to http://tigdb.uservoice.com

These are all great, but it's easier to track them there instead in forums. Discussion is fine, but they're more likely to be implemented on the UserVoice page.

So that's what that feedback tab is for. I edited the thread title based on your suggestion.
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 06:45:09 PM »

I was thinking maybe the ability to leave comments on games without necessarily reviewing them.  Maybe displayed below reviews?  I dunno.

Also search could be improved some.  If I type Metroidvania into search and it doesn't find any exact titles, maybe it should look for games with the 'Metroidvania' tag. Also partial title search could be better in that searching for "Cube Sector" doesn't find "Lyle In Cube Sector.".

@doomlaser, mark johns
progrium
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2008, 07:05:27 PM »

I was confused because it would show up in autocomplete, but now I see it doesn't show up in the actual search results if you hit enter. Okay, fixing that. As for searching tags... that's part of suggestion down at the bottom of the UserVoice that doesn't have any votes. It proposes that search box not only searches the name of Games, but also Developers and Tags.

Re comments... I don't know if I like that idea yet. Comments without purpose turn into weird discussion crap, which seems better suited in the forums or something.

Jeff Lindsay
progrium.com
GlingGling
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2008, 07:31:34 PM »

Re comments... I don't know if I like that idea yet. Comments without purpose turn into weird discussion crap, which seems better suited in the forums or something.

I also think comments are a bad idea. There are games I see that have been reviewed and I also want to say something cool about it, but the previous review already does a pretty good job. It will just get cluttered quickly with "This game rocks!" or "You won't find a better shooter." Any comments outside of a full review won't add enough value to game's page.

Also, I can't find my own review useful anymore. DAMN YOU!!!  :D
progrium
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2008, 08:36:54 PM »

Thank you guys for caring so much about TIGdb. Smiley

Jeff Lindsay
progrium.com
GlingGling
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2008, 10:40:47 AM »

Thank you guys for caring so much about TIGdb. Smiley

I truly believe TIGdb is the future. I think it is already a great asset to the indie community and the more love that is fed into it (from its developers and it's users) the more it will propel indie games and the community. I'm trying to do my part in providing it love.
Slylandro
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2008, 10:42:29 PM »

from http://tigdb.uservoice.com/pages/general/suggestions/12079
really? what minimum would you keep it at? do you really need it on pages other than the top list? what if we showed the the rating count next to the rating in the listings?

@progrium Heh, too lazy to get a user voice account...

Well, do you agree at least that a rating count box belongs in the search filters?  That's the most important part imo.

The top games list I don't know what would be a good limit to enforce.  I suggested 5 offhand earlier but 10 is probably closer to what is ideal.  The idea should be to maintain a balance between statistical significance and fairness to recent or relatively obscure games that would otherwise have a hard time getting into the spotlight long enough to be recognized as a fundamentally 'top' game. 

Keep in mind that you guys are going to be continually adding to the TIGdb.  That means that the top games list, if there is no enforcement on rating count, is always going to have at least 4 or 5 games that aren't really top at all, they are just new.  That doesn't seem to make much sense to me.  So in short no I don't think it would be sufficient to just put the rating count, although that'd be good too.  Something like: Cave Story 4.7 (170 ratings).  Thoughts?
progrium
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2008, 11:10:25 PM »

When this issue originally came up I argued that it was a great way to encourage people to rate games, moving them to where they belong. I don't think anytime soon there will be *that* many new games on the front Top page at once, though I suppose someday there could be. I think what would help complement this argument is showing the rate count as well like you suggested, so you can more obviously see what needs to be rated.

I just don't think it's that important to be a filter option though. I agree that at least for the Top list, there should be a minimum, perhaps 5, but even 3 as to balance my point above. However, I don't believe it would be that important as a filter. It's a totally secondary type of filter to have. Although... I've been thinking about adding more that are hidden by default, things considered "Advanced"...

Jeff Lindsay
progrium.com
GlingGling
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2008, 12:25:22 AM »

@Slylandro. This is actually a good way for new game entries to get some press. The truth is if a game shows up on the top at 5 stars it's going to be heavily scrutinized. People will either rate it down out of spite or they will play the game to discover if it is really a 5 star game (let's hope it's the later).

It's a tough draw but if the system stayed as it is nobody would be hurt. I think progrium's suggestion of three review minimum is quite reasonable, it would fix the "problem" instantly.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic