Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411476 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 04:19:58 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallTIGdb - Suggestions!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: TIGdb - Suggestions!  (Read 37386 times)
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2008, 11:40:54 AM »

One thing that would be great is a series of Collections or 'Playlists', that could be a set of games following a particular theme highlighted by TIGdb editors, or emanating from the forums in the organic way that the Indi Gamer Guide came about.

iThe iTunes Media Store, Amazon, Hulu, et al, all do things like this, and I think it would be a great way for people to try out games they ordinarily wouldnt see.

I'm not sure there are enough games to do this yet, but it'd be cool.  "Great Zombie Games", "5 minute diversion",etc.

(btw, are all the indie gamer guide games in the db?)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 04:16:47 PM by Golds » Logged

@doomlaser, mark johns
Slylandro
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2008, 04:35:46 PM »

@GlingGling+Progrium

I guess it depends on what you think the top games list is for.  When I think of a top games list, I usually think of games that have established a wide recognition for quality, eg Cave Story.  If we're leaning towards the idea of the list as a spotlight though, 3 should be enough I think.

Speaking of quality, are there any qualifications for a game to enter the TIGdb? 
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2008, 07:12:26 PM »

There aren't any specific qualifications, per se, but I'm trying to avoid really unfinished/buggy games, straight-up Pong/Breakout clones, etc.

(btw, are all the indie gamer guide games n the db?)

Most of them are, as well as most of the games in the list Guert compiled. Smiley
progrium
Level 2

Swords will fucking cut you wide open!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2008, 01:07:00 PM »

I like the Collection / Playlist idea... as long as it's not that any user can make one, like Amazon, etc. I'd rather have a really solid list of collections and only one for each idea, as opposed to a bunch of users having their own "Best Zombie Games" lists.

I'm imagining a combination of moderation and user driven lists. Maybe anybody can suggest a list, which gets approved by a moderator. Then users can suggest games added to the list, which maybe a moderator can approve. I'm trying to reduce moderator involvement though.

This wouldn't be a for a while, but I like this idea.

Jeff Lindsay
progrium.com
RichVreeland
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2008, 12:15:50 PM »

It would be nice if you could include full credits for the game on the page (eg. artwork, music, everyone who worked on the game) along with links to their respective websites.
progrium
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2008, 07:44:35 PM »

Yeah, I wanted full credits of individual developers from the beginning. Definitely a lot more work on both technical and content sides. We'll get there.

Jeff Lindsay
progrium.com
handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2008, 04:18:38 PM »

You should add in a feature that looks at the user's first and last name and  then google searches it, finding all the information about that person it can, and then does a simple algorithm to figure out what games they would like. It automatically downloads and installs all the games so the next time the user comes to their computer they have ever game they would ever want to play.

progrium
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2008, 10:00:15 PM »

I think Derek had that idea after some drugs.

Jeff Lindsay
progrium.com
Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2008, 01:53:36 AM »

You should add in a feature that looks at the user's first and last name and  then google searches it, finding all the information about that person it can, and then does a simple algorithm to figure out what games they would like. It automatically downloads and installs all the games so the next time the user comes to their computer they have ever game they would ever want to play.

I think if your name includes "dick" or "wang" or any of the sort you have a real problem there.
handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2008, 03:10:28 AM »

I think if your name includes "dick" or "wang" or any of the sort you have a real problem there.

I never said it had to search what the kids called you back in highschool.

Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2008, 04:17:29 AM »

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/2/405/509
Ragzouken
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2008, 02:38:31 AM »

It'd be nice to have some confirmation that nothing went wrong with submission. I accidentally submitted a game twice because, when confronted with an empty submission screen after clicking submit, I thought I had timed out or something silly. Also it'd be nice to know if a submission has been looked at by a human, rejected for some reason or something.

Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2008, 07:28:08 PM »

It would be cool if you could favorite a game, and have a list of your favorites in your profile section. 

As well, it'd be cool if you could mark a game, which would put it in a queue of games in your profile/home section somewhere, so you could go back to this list and download the games later.  I browse the db a lot in OS X, and then am always trying to remember the stuff I wanted to download and check out when I boot into XP.

@doomlaser, mark johns
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2008, 05:08:23 AM »

Embedding

Kind of like services such as YouTube... you enter some parameters and you get some code that you can copy and paste to your site with a summary of the tigDB info on one game. There could be options like whether or not to include the star rating, displaying the tags, etc. Another nice option to have would be including a list of related games.

I think this would be really cool to integrate with the front page as well, cause then you could automatically see what other people think, check out related games, etc.

Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2008, 01:53:48 PM »

One thing I'd like to see is subtitles for the ratings. When you're rating a game, what parameter should you base your vote on? YouTube, for example, defines one start as "Poor", two as "Nothing special" and five as "Awesome!". That's pretty much how I rate games in TIGdb, but what if someone else rates them as one star to "Horrible", two to "Bad" and three to "Average"?

(Very minor issue, really...)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 02:11:17 PM by Kao » Logged
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2008, 02:21:10 PM »

Some of the games have the incorrect engine listed. An Untitled Story was made with GM, not MMF, and I think Braid was made with XNA.

Renton
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2008, 02:23:40 PM »

what if someone else rates them as one star to "Horrible", two to "Bad" and three to "Average"?
That would be me.
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2008, 08:20:18 PM »

It would be cool if you could favorite a game, and have a list of your favorites in your profile section. 

As well, it'd be cool if you could mark a game, which would put it in a queue of games in your profile/home section somewhere, so you could go back to this list and download the games later.  I browse the db a lot in OS X, and then am always trying to remember the stuff I wanted to download and check out when I boot into XP.
I'd be up for this.  Maybe not even for the reason you suggested; it would be cool to check out each others' favorites lists.
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2008, 10:24:06 PM »

I'd be up for this.  Maybe not even for the reason you suggested; it would be cool to check out each others' favorites lists.

Both fine ideas. I'd like to see a group of favourites rather than one, though. OH: Read slightly higher in the list. Saw that Jeff wanted to put in a "My Collection" section. That does it then! Yay.

what if someone else rates them as one star to "Horrible", two to "Bad" and three to "Average"?
That would be me.

Yeah, me too. Which is why I always lean towards x/10 (or even x/100). Regardless, there SHOULD be some kind of subtitling. Help me understand what score I'm reading.

Um, also, not sure if it's been suggested here, but I'd love to see more complex TIGSource links to TIGDb than just "TIGDb". A random pick/Game of the Day, search function, New Games list. Stuff like that. It's be really nice to seriously integrate the two, is all.
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2008, 09:59:54 AM »

It would be cool if you updated the site :D "Transcendence" has been the newest game for a while, surely you should have gotten a few new games during this time?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic