Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411419 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 10:18:54 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsWaa Cha!
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Waa Cha!  (Read 6635 times)
Virion
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 21, 2011, 08:18:11 PM »

Hey there! My friend and I are doing a mobile game called "Waa Cha!". It is basically a simple object-kicking game using finger gestures. I plan to release it on both iOS and android.

The game is about an elderly shaolin monk gathered his best students from the past (who went back to the society and live a normal life) and re-train them in-order to fight a powerful villain.

Development blog: http://blog.bigbunkerstudio.com

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/bigbunkerstudio

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BigBunkerStudio

>>>WATCH TRAILER<<<

Anyway some early WIP screenshots:

[4 March 2012]

[3 November 2011]

[24 October 2011]

[23 October 2011]

[22 October 2011]

More coming, stay tuned! Gomez
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 03:50:25 AM by Virion » Logged
Theophilus
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 08:21:02 PM »

You should make the negative-point object something that's not a bomb. Bombs are in every game like this. Maybe a rotten egg or an old person or Cave Stories.

Seriously, like your sensei would throw a bomb at you. What a terrible sensei...

It looks really nice. I would like to see it in action. Are these just mockups?
Virion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 08:27:11 PM »

Thanks for the feedback! Currently we are just putting in the most basic objects for easy mode. We have planned a ton of objects from small to big, for example car, submarine, tank, or even characters (baby baby baby ohh...). It doesn't have to make sense, just kicking for fun! The speed of the items will increase slowly throughout the game. There are also certain objects (scrolls) which give the player special kicking power.

You can tell me who you hate so I can put him/her into the game for everyone to kick. Big Laff

What do you think?

Nope it is not a mockup, it is a working game. For now the character is still black and white, we are just about to finish all the animation. We will start the coloring soon. Stay tuned. Smiley
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 01:53:01 AM by Virion » Logged
Virion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 08:02:13 PM »

Some updates!

Most of the animations are done, with colors! We also added the new nice looking background!

That's all for today. Beer!
Virion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 09:30:44 AM »

Kicking in action!  Hand Any Key

Theophilus
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 09:48:24 AM »

You can tell me who you hate so I can put him/her into the game for everyone to kick. Big Laff

What do you think?

A ton of objects is good. I like this.

You can put in...

Jon Blow
Big ol' jiggly-jugglies desu kawai animu girls

and

Peta
Virion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 10:49:17 AM »

Jon Blow
Hand Thumbs Up Left  Evil  Hand Thumbs Up Right

Big ol' jiggly-jugglies desu kawai animu girls
LOL Crazy

by the way who is Peta?
Virion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 05:14:18 PM »

Some updates!

I have changed the tap-to-kick control to swipe instead. I found that tapping is just too easy, swipe finger to the right to kick adds a little challenges.

There will be several different game modes. The one you see in the screenshots is normal mode. It is the easiest mode thus objects only come from one side. Some other harder modes will have objects flying from 2 different sides instead.

We also plan to make a split-screen multiplayer mode. You can challenge your friend - see who kicked the most a**!!  Cheesy
Virion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 09:48:41 PM »

Need some opinion here. I am adding a multiplayer mode to the game where 2 players can challenge each other on the same screen (not through network) so I will split the screen into 2.

I need to hear some opinion whether you would prefer the top part of the screen (for player 1) to be the same orientation as the lower screen, or flip it entirely up-side-down? The rationale of doing this is so that player can hold the iPad horizontally and 2 players can stand opposite each other while playing the game. But I'm not sure if that will work so I need some input here.

These are some mockups I did to explain what I mean by flipping the upper screen up-side-down:

So you prefer this

or this?

by the way we have also decided to put the character at the center (and slightly scaled down) because now the objects are not coming from just 1 side, but both the left and right. This should add a bit more challenges to the gameplay.

I really wish to hear some noise from you guys.
Thank you for your time! Beer!
astrofra
Level 3

CG Hoister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 10:01:06 PM »

I think the upside down option will fit perfectly to an iPad in "Cocktail" situation.

By cocktail, I mean the same kind of setup as a cocktail arcade cabinet, just like this :

Besides, it's probably the most convivial option, as you really face your game-opponent.

Edit:
Regarding the gameplay itself, it's not clear to me, at that point, if the objects are targeting the head, chest or legs of the player, or are only arriving with the exact same Y coordinate ?

Edit (2):
Your TigSource avatar reminds me of a Taiwanese artist I can't remember the name :>
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 10:08:03 PM by astrofra » Logged

Virion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 11:14:28 PM »

Hehe thanks for posting up the cocktail arcade cabinet image I really like it. Hand Any Key  Big Laff Hand Joystick
Yeah we had the "challenge face-to-face" idea in our mind before we started but just not very sure if people will like it or not.

Regarding the gameplay itself, it's not clear to me, at that point, if the objects are targeting the head, chest or legs of the player, or are only arriving with the exact same Y coordinate ?
For now it's only coming from one Y coordinate. Some objects are small but some are relatively large (small cactus vs. huge submarine). I'm not sure if player can judge whether the object is targeting the head, chest or legs. But I do agree that more variation like this will make the gameplay even more interesting. Hmm will look into that...

My profile pic? That's an abandoned character design for my graduation project:

Feel kinda wasted, maybe I will use the character for my next game. Cool
Kent Nishimori
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 04:29:11 AM »

Looks really cool and fun to play. can't wait to see it in action! Will there be options to kick high, kick mid, kick low? just to spice up the challenge? Hand Clap
JackMenhorn
Level 2

Sound Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2011, 04:50:53 AM »

I think the upside down option will fit perfectly to an iPad

Agree

Sound Designer<br />www.jackmenhorn.com

Nova-111 OST: https://jackmenhorn.bandcamp.com/album/nova-111
r0ber7
Level 2

i like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2011, 12:00:16 PM »

Love the graphics. What language are you coding in?

Virion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2011, 06:03:31 PM »

Looks really cool and fun to play. can't wait to see it in action! Will there be options to kick high, kick mid, kick low? just to spice up the challenge?
Thanks. Smiley I am not very sure but not likely will have high,mid,low options due to the size of the character quite similar to the objects size. Instead of putting the character at the side, we decided to put her in the middle. Objects are now not just coming from one side but both! This should spice up the challenge a bit. Gomez

Agree
Thanks, astrofa. I will choose the upside down option then. Beer!

Love the graphics. What language are you coding in?
Thanks. My teammate is a great artist and he did a great job on the graphics.
I am using C++ language for this game. I use the C++ port of cocos2d library called cocos2d-x with Box2D. The reason why I choose C++ is for multiplatform purpose and also... I don't really like Objective-C's coding style. WTF

More coming. Cool
Virion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2011, 08:04:03 PM »

Quick update!

Second character design! (rough sketch)

Sushi Master Grin
Virion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2011, 10:36:15 AM »

Quick update again!
New background for "insane mode"! The fire in the background is animated. Will post a GIF pretty soon. Cool (I don't actually smoke)
motorherp
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2011, 10:45:52 AM »

Reminds me of IK+ bonus stage .... AWESOME  Waaagh!.  Please make their trousers drop when you press 'T'  Cheesy
Virion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2011, 10:53:46 AM »

Please make their trousers drop when you press 'T'
LOL XD

(sadly there is no 'T' button on iPad Sad)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 09:55:50 AM by Virion » Logged
Virion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2011, 09:59:03 AM »

Another new character!

He was a kung fu student in Shaolin when a small kid, but he returned home and became fat after several years. Too much junk foods and TV. Cheesy

By the way I will set up a development blog very soon. Smiley
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 10:04:41 AM by Virion » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic