Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 04:28:39 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralGames with main characters who are black...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Author Topic: Games with main characters who are black...  (Read 29751 times)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: May 08, 2007, 05:47:34 PM »

In Japan I heard there is a class of detectives who are paid to research the background ancestry of prospective employees, marriage partners, etc., to make sure there is no foreign blood in them.

It's a different kind of racism there, but I don't think it's any better than it is in the US. Marrying someone of a different race is virtually unthinkable to most people in Japan, whereas marrying someone of a different race is pretty common in the US.

lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: May 08, 2007, 06:17:36 PM »

It's a different kind of racism there, but I don't think it's any better than it is in the US. Marrying someone of a different race is virtually unthinkable to most people in Japan, whereas marrying someone of a different race is pretty common in the US.

The year I lived in Japan, I can honestly only think of a few times where I felt any sort of racism against me, the extent of which was prolonged stares or people refusing to sit next to me on the train. I knew people would talk shit or whatever, but nothing really beyond that. Never directly denied service or outwardly treated differently. Maybe things have changed since I left tho...

As for the marriage thing, I'm not sure you can make that broad of a generalization. My close friend who still lives there is marrying a Japanese girl. Her parents were upset at first, but they got over it. I'd agree it's way less common than the states, but I wouldn't deem it unthinkable by any stretch.

And it's true, I really do not like the right-wingers, driving around in their big black buses, broadcasting their scary propaganda at deafening levels, with their Yakuza drivers, going around intimidating everyone all day long.

ya that stuff was surreal, people there totally tolerate it  Sad

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: May 08, 2007, 07:57:18 PM »

True, I shouldn't have said unthinkable -- more like there's a much larger social barrier to it there.

I had a friend who lived in Japan for about a year who said much the same thing as you do, but she only lived in Tokyo, which from what I gather is more tolerant (but same thing here, compare, say, New York and Georgia).

But back on topic, nobody has mentioned Mark from Persona.  He was Japanese in the Japanese version of Revelations: Persona, but became black in the American version!

Pigbuster
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 08, 2007, 09:03:27 PM »

Sue from Cave Story certainly looks black.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 09:06:36 PM by Pigbuster » Logged
axel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 09, 2007, 01:54:31 AM »

You only see her in her real form for like 3 seconds during the credits, don't you? I've seen the portrait too, but only in the data directory, never really in-game. Yeah, I beat Ballos and all that, but sometimes I wonder if there are more endings that I just don't know of? Embarrassed

Chainsaw surgery.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: May 09, 2007, 04:06:59 AM »

Sometimes I create resources for a game that I don't get a chance to actually use in the game (either due to time or because I just decide afterwards that the game works better with that part cut), and I'm sure others have done the same, so I think it's more likely that it's just a portrait he drew but never used.

Anthony Flack
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: May 09, 2007, 04:54:02 AM »

The year I lived in Japan, I can honestly only think of a few times where I felt any sort of racism against me, the extent of which was prolonged stares or people refusing to sit next to me on the train. I knew people would talk shit or whatever, but nothing really beyond that. Never directly denied service or outwardly treated differently. Maybe things have changed since I left tho...
I don't know how long ago that was, but I would expect that, if anything, things are slightly better and Japanese people are starting to chill out a lot more. You won't notice a lot of open hostility, mostly because the Japanese are masters of the art of rudeness-through-excessive-politeness, and as I say I've never been attacked or accosted by anyone although some of my students (being younger) apparently have.

Really, it hasn't exactly been an issue for me; I only wanted to make the point that in Japan, racism is socially acceptable. There is no political correctness to speak of. Nobody will mind if you make a game with a jubby-lipped sambo in it.

Currently in development: Cletus Clay
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic