Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411517 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 09:27:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralGames with main characters who are black...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Author Topic: Games with main characters who are black...  (Read 29998 times)
AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2007, 05:28:24 PM »

I figured out how to make a thread with fewer games than this one.  Only post games which feature a main female character with small breasts!

cup full of magic charisma
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2007, 05:52:57 PM »

blacks>mexican>asian>white

I'm offended by the ignorance in this.
I was kidding.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2007, 06:27:42 PM »

blacks>mexican>asian>white

I'm offended by the ignorance in this.
I was kidding.
You were? I think you were perfectly right.
A half black half white guy can be considered black, but it is very unlikely that he will ever be considered white.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2007, 06:56:04 PM »

It wasn't very obvious that you were kidding to me, either.

*Legally* you are the ethnicity of your mother. You can be the squintiest eyed little brat in the world, but if your mom is white, you are white. *Legal* ethnicity means very little.

The world will judge race however it feels. Each person is a different judge. Mostly people will judge things by how they see them. The hierarchy Xion presented is traditionally how people see races. Darker skin usually overwhelms lighter skins. But individual identity is much different.

Each person pretty much chooses what they are. If you have beef with that, then you're going to have an uphill battle. Some Filipinos call themselves Pac Islanders, some call themselves Asian. Who's right? Both groups. It's the same with mixed kids. If you look black but were raised by a single white mother, you're going to identify with being white. Hell, I identify with being Jewish (mostly jokingly with friends, but hey), and white (because I never had many non white friends growing up).

Meh. rant over.

Get the demo itch.io
Follow @lunarsignals on twitter
guille
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2007, 07:32:42 PM »

I also think the green thing is that it's a color that suits black people's skin color, just like purple, or black, bad colors would be yellow or white.

Prey's not alone:

I can't think of many others besides The Lone Ranger game (But Tonto is not an original game character) or T.Hawk From Super Street Fighter II.

I agree with xix, my mom is white , my dad mexican, as I'm white skined I call myself (mixed) white. My bro, who's got brown skin, like my dad, considers himself 'mexican' or 'latino'. I suppose it's half how you look and half your ethnic background. A dark skinned son of a black woman and a white man would be ridiculous if he called himself white, I think.

vitaminNewB
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2007, 08:21:59 PM »

or

Huh? Huh? Huh? Huh? Huh? Huh? Huh? Huh? Huh? Huh? Huh? Huh?
errrum......new thread?

I wonder how the ladies feel about the way that they're rep'd in games.  hmmm.  Where the heck is Martha?

couple games.

Another Dreamcast goodie.  I never got to play part one.

do movies count?

Anthony Flack
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2007, 08:44:26 PM »

I also think the green thing is that it's a color that suits black people's skin color, just like purple, or black, bad colors would be yellow or white.

Red looks good too. And... white. And heck, you can get just about any colour to harmonise with brown (including yellow - and does yellow really look any better on white people?)

We don't have this same phenomena with "colours that look good with pinky skin". I was being a little bit silly before, but really I do think it has become a sort of colour-scheme cliche that is often simply followed because of historical precedent. Just like player 1 and 2 are so often red and blue.

Actually, I'm not so sure that there isn't something in that player 3=green theory of mine. Generally speaking, the black character makes an appearance once there are at least two other selectable characters.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 08:46:21 PM by Anthony Flack » Logged

Currently in development: Cletus Clay
xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2007, 09:06:12 PM »

I agree with xix, my mom is white , my dad mexican, as I'm white skined I call myself (mixed) white. My bro, who's got brown skin, like my dad, considers himself 'mexican' or 'latino'. I suppose it's half how you look and half your ethnic background. A dark skinned son of a black woman and a white man would be ridiculous if he called himself white, I think.

Yeah, when you get to that point we're just getting into a discussion of what language is. I guess you just have to extract whatever practicality out of the situation you can. If the dark skinned mixed kid said he was white because he didn't want to associate with black people, you could understand that even if you didn't understand why he didn't want to associate with black people in the first place. But if he didn't care of how he was associated for any reason other than race, then you have to question his motivations.

Games have an interesting way of dealing with this. Did you hear about that online dancing game where you have to pay points to be black? That's so fucking weird. I always wondered what it would be like if you had an MMORPG where your stats were invisible and were randomly chosen. And physical features were random, too. Do you think people would care if your character was ugly or not? What if strength was associated with dark skin (as per game code)... would people start being racist?

Get the demo itch.io
Anthony Flack
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2007, 09:20:15 PM »

A dark skinned son of a black woman and a white man would be ridiculous if he called himself white, I think.
But would a light-skinned son be ridiculed for calling himself white? Probably not! Oh, politics!

Gargantua
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2007, 10:43:22 PM »

I don't have much to add, but the green and black argument struck me when I first read it. I've never once in my life associated a single color with any ethnicity, but I can say the closest thing I've seen to green and black going together, is that where I'm from blacks tend to smoke menthols if they smoke. Mint=green, so that's about the only connection I've ever seen. I think that's really sorta tenuous at best though, and not something that I really believe in.
xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2007, 10:57:43 PM »

Take some fashion classes. A lot of black people look good in green. It's just how colors work. When I tan I look really good in pink. Oh how I hate you, color spectrum.

Get the demo itch.io
Anthony Flack
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2007, 03:39:46 AM »

But would a light-skinned son be ridiculed for calling himself white? Probably not! Oh, politics!
Dammit, I meant to say "would a light-skinned son be ridiculed for calling himself black?" Oh, typos!

Anthony Flack
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2007, 03:44:17 AM »

Take some fashion classes. A lot of black people look good in green. It's just how colors work.
I just don't believe it. I don't see an abnormal number of black people dressed in green in real life, and there's just so many other colour combinations that would work well with brown skin. And yet the green thing is really quite noticeable in videogames. And there is no "natural" colour for white people's costumes.

I think that somewhere along the way, a convention was established, and designers subconsciously echo past designs. That, and my player 3 theory, which demands to be acknowledged[/i[.

xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2007, 03:57:05 AM »

Color schemes and their meanings have been established for 500 years. Ever since the Renaissance we've known how to balance colors. Ever since Mannerism we've known how to skew the balance to create mood and atmosphere. You may not believe it, but hey, some people don't believe in Darwin, either.

Get the demo itch.io
torncanvas
Level 0

Go Team Venture!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2007, 06:47:49 AM »

Side note about Darwin:  under certain conditions laid out in his memoirs, Darwin wouldn't believe in Darwin, either.

I think designers very consciously echo past designs.  Look at Balding's Quest for example.  People love the old school games, and therefore they echo past designs as a tribute.  Maybe some people were making a tribute to a game character of the past by putting Marcus (or whatever his name is in GoW) in green.

Intuition Games
@torncanvas on twitter
GP Lackey
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2007, 07:53:15 AM »

Color schemes and their meanings have been established for 500 years. Ever since the Renaissance we've known how to balance colors. Ever since Mannerism we've known how to skew the balance to create mood and atmosphere. You may not believe it, but hey, some people don't believe in Darwin, either.

But no colour theory supports the idea that brown only goes well with green.  Anthony is also right that it's not an overwhelming fashion choice.
xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2007, 08:22:18 AM »

You guys are being nitpicky and getting off topic.

Get the demo itch.io
Madgarden
Level 1

C=

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2007, 08:43:14 AM »

AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2007, 10:01:52 AM »

Um yeah he's Indian.  Or didn't the Yoga, Elephants, Taj Mahal, or blinking circle in India tip you off Tongue

cup full of magic charisma
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2007, 11:01:37 AM »

The Arc Legacy (Demo)

This looks appealing (the game, not the black Mr. Clean dude) does this have real time action battles or turn based command battles? It says it's like Final Fantasy so I assume it's the latter. I don't wanna suck this dude's bandwidth in vain, though.

I'm sure he won't mind - he doesn't really update his site anymore, so he can probably spare it.

It's worth checking out if you like Final Fantasy style RPGs. It had a lot of potential.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic