Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411468 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 01:19:04 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBlitz Meet [fin]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: Blitz Meet [fin]  (Read 27299 times)
Happy Shabby Games
Level 8

msmymo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2011, 06:09:41 PM »

-Optimized the lighting system and particle effects I have to get a nice steady 30 fps

-Implemented customizable controls for the keyboard but I'm having some trouble doing the same for the gamepad in a clean uniform way. I might just do what Super Crate Box did and give the players two control schemes for the gamepad because Blitz Meet uses the same amount of buttons. Custom controls are a must for two keyboard players though because things can get crowded and I know that not everyone uses the same type of keyz.

-Chain arm power up fully implemented. This is a chain that replaces your sword, giving you insane reach.

-Worked on some background art assets. Meet papa cat. I think it's too gritty for the game's style so I might go for something with a more simplistic design. I do like how this turned out though. It was pretty fun to pixel. I think some cool hall flags would do the bg some justice.

@peanutbuttershoes & XRA - I found out that if I map some of the 2nd player's keys to wasd for movement and some to the numbers it doesn't lock up. There seems to be a cap on how many letter keys you can press at once.

@Franklins Ghost - Thanks for following it! This has been great practice for some things I've wanted to learn. For example: How to code a sword slash, hit box, and charged slash properly. Also getting a grip on the grandma engine for GM has been cool.

@r0ber7 - Thanks, and good luck to you sir!

Instead of using as3sfxr like I have been doing, I might try to record some real sounds for fun because my roommate has some ace recording gear. If it becomes too time consuming though I may just use the usual bleep bloops, which I like too.

edit: bumped this to 40%

:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2011, 06:45:44 PM »

Theophilus
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2011, 09:46:48 PM »

Lookin sweet.
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2011, 10:02:39 PM »

Awesome!

negativeview
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2011, 09:55:14 PM »

Firstly, what others have told you about things working out most of the time are absolutely correct. You probably don't have to worry about it.  That being said, here's some more info on the keyboard limitations stuff:

According to the original spec, you're only guaranteed two normal keys at once. You MUST be able to press any combination of two keys without problem or your keyboard doesn't follow spec. Three or more and they're allowed to work fine, or do any number of odd behaviors.

"Modifier keys" (shift, command, control, alt, basically) are special. Those do not count toward your limit. You can press shift, command, control, and alt, and the keyboard still has to support any two non-special keys.

In practice every keyboard is different. It depends on how they are made and what shortcuts they took. Gamer keyboards make a point to not cut corners and let you press more keys at once without problem. Normal keyboards tend to let you get away with far more than two these days, but it's still by no means guaranteed to work. This is one reason why rebindable keys are pretty much required, especially if you want to be able to press more than two keys at once: you absolutely cannot come up with a default binding that will work for everyone.

stef1a
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2011, 07:42:41 PM »

This looks so cool. I have been inspired. Please continue.  Gentleman
Happy Shabby Games
Level 8

msmymo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2011, 12:36:38 PM »

Game over Player 2!

1 - New Pedestals on each side of the arena where Power-Ups spawn every now and then.

2 - Did some flags for the background art. You can make your own and possibly get it featured in the game. Check dis thread out.

3 - Did some toasty fire particles.

4 - New bricks.

5 - Player death sprite inspired by Mario's. It's actually a game now! The game over cinematics are finished.

6 - Edit: Scrapped the lighting system. It was much too dark. I like the colors   nice and bright

I'm bumping this up to 60%! The meat of the game is finished. I just need to do the sound, get some testers, tidy up some of the art assets, get gamepads working properly, and do the intro art. I'll have something playable by next weekend so if you have some buddies you can play this with, please pm and I'll get back to you.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone! I hit a low point where I lost some steam for the project, but I pushed through and got to that plateau of productivity.  Wizard

Hope everone's having a good holiday.

Edit 2: If you guys want more updates you can follow me on Twitter @SeasonsDev
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 12:44:35 PM by Seasons » Logged

Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2011, 11:11:37 PM »

Great update, man. It's looking good.  Coffee

namragog
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2011, 08:03:14 AM »

i reall y like it, but i think the background colors need a little more work  Wink
Angelbait
Level 1

SCARY!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2011, 01:29:30 PM »

Great updates so far!

Any plans for 2v2?  That would be just WAY too much fun  Kiss

Current: Cows With Guns           BLOG/TWEET/FB
namragog
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2011, 01:30:23 PM »

If you don't mind, can you send me a file with all of the sprites? I would love to redo some of the colors for you.  Beer!
Ashkin
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2011, 04:06:12 PM »

I like the sprites as they are :/
Perhaps the flag colours could be toned down a little bit though.
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2011, 04:17:23 PM »

The only thing that bugs me is the blockiness of those flags. Also, I think they need to be adjusted a little bit so they fit into the background more naturally.

Also also, this game looks really neat and fun!

Happy Shabby Games
Level 8

msmymo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2011, 05:11:31 PM »

@Zack - Thanks I appreciate it.  Hand Thumbs Up Right

@namragog - I'm using Arne's 16 color palette and I'm pretty fond of it, but I'll send you some sprites to see what you come up with. I always dig the sprites and background art you tweet. I'm new to doing background assets so I could use the help.

@Angelbait - That would be rad haha. I hadn't planned on it but after I finish the base game I want to try adding a bunch of stuff and hopefully I'll get around to 2v2.

@Ashkin & Jakman4242 - Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll toy around with colors and maybe adding some hangars. I could even have them sway a bit instead of being static...  Undecided

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2011, 05:31:05 PM »

It would be pretty awesome if you made them sway programmatically.
Maybe have them shake/sway on the wall when the ball hits something, and make them go crazy when a wall breaks. It'd add to the tension heaps.  Hand Thumbs Up Left

Angelbait
Level 1

SCARY!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2011, 01:30:13 PM »

So when are we getting a Beta version to start ironing out the kinks!?

Ashkin
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2011, 03:29:19 PM »

Yes, because a pre-release version is MANDATORY for any indie game Roll Eyes
Stupid Minecraft :|
Happy Shabby Games
Level 8

msmymo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2011, 03:48:45 PM »

Haha of course. I've been transparent about this project so I plan on just releasing different builds as I get feedback and it progresses. Some basic sfx and gamepad controls  need to be implemented before I release anything though. I'll get something out to you guys on January 2nd - scout's honor.

p.s. Thanks for the killer flags!

edit: @Jakman4242 - That is something I have to get in there...

Angelbait
Level 1

SCARY!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2011, 05:30:24 PM »

Lol, I was just teasing.  Was reading somewhere that Seasons was planning to release a Beta Tongue

Ashkin
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2011, 08:49:39 PM »

Lol, I was just teasing.  Was reading somewhere that Seasons was planning to release a Beta Tongue
I'm just a little annoyed about how some people (not you) suddenly feel entitled to demand anything they want from indie game devs just because they're not a big game development studio.

@Seasons: Can we see some pics of the new flags in-game? :3
Also, I really like the suggestion someone did that the flags should react to the game- shaking when the ball hits the walls, moving slightly as if in the wind as the ball flies by, etc.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic