Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 12:46:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)C++ Network Libs
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: C++ Network Libs  (Read 2870 times)
Gravious
Level 2

"Swedish meatballs"

View Profile WWW
« on: July 14, 2008, 11:49:03 PM »

I'm looking at adding netplay to my puzzle game as a way of making it more accessible as i don't know how to do AI yet, of course, i don't know networking either, but I'm guessing its easier and it would make the game more social.

So my question is, are there any really simple, lite network libs worth looking at?  I'm using C++ and SDL and want to keep the game cross-platform capable.

Goldbuick recommended enet, anyone else have an opinion?

One day I'll think about doing something to stop procrastinating.
LtJax
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 06:26:09 PM »

I really like boost::asio (www.boost.org). You are probably using boost already anways, and if you're not, you should. It's a bit low-level for games, but it gets the job done rather intuitively and fast.
I used it to network a simple puzzle-ish game once, and it took me like an hour to get it all up and running.

Flink
Level 1

Visiontrick

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 11:27:34 PM »

I self have no experiance from it but ive heard that RakNet is really great.
http://www.jenkinssoftware.com/

Krux
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 02:56:03 AM »

thanks, i was also looking for a Network library.
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 04:53:06 PM »

if you don't want to bother with low level packet management and wants some stuff already implemented like dead reckoning and encryption there's ZoidCom http://www.zoidcom.com/

it's almost good as RakNet (that's no more free for commercial stuff) and it offers a good high-level interface even with cool stuff like remote procedure calls and object duplication through the net, and you can always do the lower level stuff too anyway.

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 01:34:17 PM »

I don't have a lot of experience at this to be honest, but I was talking to the guy who made Cubes and he strongly recommended enet. He also suggested I read up on the Q3 Network model.

Only bit of network code I've done is the highscore tables in Self Destruct, using libCurl (and this handy little wrapper), but that's probably not much use to you Sad

Gravious
Level 2

"Swedish meatballs"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 01:57:11 PM »

I don't have a lot of experience at this to be honest, but I was talking to the guy who made Cubes and he strongly recommended enet. He also suggested I read up on the Q3 Network model.

Only bit of network code I've done is the highscore tables in Self Destruct, using libCurl (and this handy little wrapper), but that's probably not much use to you Sad

I've actually used libcurl in PHP as a main part of my job for the past 2 years Smiley

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 02:00:48 PM »

oh, cool Smiley

Gravious
Level 2

"Swedish meatballs"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 04:42:17 PM »

I've actually used libcurl in PHP as a main part of my job for the past 2 years Smiley

And by extension, I've been meaning to look into c++ bindings for curl, for pretty much the same use you put it to Smiley

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic