Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 12:47:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMeteor Arena
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Meteor Arena  (Read 751 times)
vdek
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: October 25, 2011, 08:21:55 PM »

Tentative name: Meteor Arena
Platform: Web/iOS/Android
Tech: Unity3D

What is it?  Meteor Arena started out as an Asteroids clone I made over a weekend while learning Unity 3D.  I saw potential in the game and have been developing it further trying to make it more than just a simple Asteroids clone.  Why the Arena in the name?  I plan on making this a Multiplayer Deathmatch game eventually!  However the first step is going to be releasing a single player version of the game.

Stage 1: Release to mobile as a complete single player game
Stage 2: Update game to include deathmatch
Stage 3: Further content updates!

You can play a WIP of the game at http://www.burrowgames.com/games/  Feedback is always appreciated  Smiley

Current screenshots:

vdek
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 08:24:00 PM »

My latest update:
I've uploaded a new verson of Meteor Arena(Working Title), a few of the changes:

• Increased game area with scrolling camera
  • Enemy Melee ships that will pursue your character
  • Infinite asteroid spawning with increasing difficulty
  • Tweaked mechanics
  • A planet in the background!

I've got so many new ideas of what I want to add into the game, the AI code I've been writing has been coming out really well.  I'm getting a lot of my ideas from the book Programming Game AI by Example which is an excellent resource.  I really like it so far, I still need to implement flocking behavoir however, which should put a really interesting spin on what I have planned.  The algorithms the book uses are solid, however they're all done in C++ so some tricks and comprises are required to work them into UnityScript.  I plan on moving to C# as soon as I finish this game since it is a much more robust language.

The melee character's behavior is currently a work in progress, I plan on having him charge against your ship once he gets within a certain range so the trick will be to constantly stay in motion to avoid them.  I'll be adding in close range enemies and long range enemies as well, along with a cruiser sized ship that the player will have to deal with eventually.

Also I will be trying out some new control schemes including a standard twin stick style control scheme soon.

The Asteroid spawning seems to have broken recently, I'll be fixing that soon once I get around creating new asteroid geometry.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic