Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411525 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 03:40:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallAlone in Dreams
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Alone in Dreams  (Read 1992 times)
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: October 25, 2011, 08:54:17 PM »

I wanted to introduce my new project with Frederico Machuca, called "Alone in Dreams":

http://aloneindreams.tumblr.com/

The "Alone" project is both a game, and a basis for a series of Unity tutorials.

That is to say, I'll be making a series of tutorials about how the game was made, we'll be releasing some assets for people to play around with, using the assets to create examples of other games, etc. Smiley
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 01:10:37 PM by Alec » Logged

deathtotheweird
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 09:28:21 PM »

that's pretty cool, I saw the trailer earlier. it looks great.

the more people that learn Unity and start making their own 3d games the better.  Beer!
ink.inc
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 10:02:40 PM »

Nothing particularly productive to say, just that it looks good. Animation could use some work, but I'm guessing the game is still early in development.

Best of luck!
Chris Pavia
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 07:56:02 AM »

Ive enjoyed your unity videos so far, looking forward to more. I'm curious if there are any tools (iTween, ragespline, etc) that have become part of your standard workflow?

Can't wait to see more of the game as well.
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 02:41:00 PM »

I always use iTween, its very handy. (although I think there's gotta be a way to write a lighter/simpler version of it)

For 2D, RageSpline and 2D Toolkit are very nice. (but they're not used in this particular project)

BTW Vimeo is still not a good place to be if you're making indie games:
http://aloneindreams.tumblr.com/post/11954917080/this-is-a-great-time-to-switch-away-from-vimeo-if

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 11:28:15 AM »

Here's a first intro vid:

Demoing a little snippet of the game and also talking in a broad way about how some of it works, behind the scenes. In later videos I'll go into more detail, but I'm curious what things people are more interesting in learning about. Smiley

http://aloneindreams.tumblr.com/

Also: Maybe I should be posting this in tutorials or devlogs instead? :O

Chris Pavia
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 04:46:31 PM »

I'd like to hear about how you have your higher-level architecture set up, as in what scripts/objects control what, who's talking to who, and generally how the game's state is kept in check. I have no formal programming training so my gameplay usually ends up very hacked-in and not scaleable, so it'd be useful to see how someone else does it in Unity.
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 10:57:43 AM »

That sounds like a good early topic indeed.  Gentleman

Alone has one global state variable, which makes things nice and tidy.

e.g. calling:

Global.state = GlobalState.Throw;

Will put the game into the ball throwing game state. (using getters and setters)

Good idear, I might even be able to do this one as a stand alone tutorial or one where you can download a project and mess around...
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 01:10:43 PM by Alec » Logged

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 01:11:21 PM »

Updates! Smiley

http://aloneindreams.tumblr.com/post/13387410119/wuug-is-winnipegs-unity-user-group-we-recently

A video from our Unity user group and a pretty neat prototype to play around with.

Includes prototypin' blocks that are useful for sketching out games quickly.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic