Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411501 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 03:01:42 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Crying Woods
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Crying Woods  (Read 767 times)
pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« on: October 25, 2011, 10:50:02 PM »

Well, I've sort of got something done, and I'm wondering what people think of it so far.

Mostly, it was just my venture to begin learning GML, and so it probably won't be worth much, but there's always a chance. Smiley

This is the first game I've even semi-completed, and it's very much a WIP, if anything.

Here's a list of typical features that don't exist in it yet:

- Title screen
- Sound
- More than one difficulty
- Animation
- Decent-looking graphics (I want to double the size of em if people think the idea is worth continuing...seeing as it was a venture to learn GML, making high quality graphics wasn't a focus of mine)
- Smooth knockbacks (the wolves go everywhere when making contact with the player or shots, and I don't have the slightest clue how to fix that right now. After trying almost a dozen things, I've given up unless someone can give me some insight on how to do that...the source is on the site too! Tongue This is also the reason the player doesn't get knocked back)
- The removal of the GM Lite watermark (bleh)
- Less-punishing content
- A good variety of content
- A single collision per hit (right now, you could get hit like 3 times by the same object)

...and I know there are other things I'm missing.

Anyways, I did get a map and a lot of the crucial stuff done. After struggling with how to handle certain stuff (I originally wanted the player to have to chase the target), this is about the best I can do in about 5 days.

So the idea is that you're after a squonk. You have to catch it, that's about it. The woods are perilous though, and of course, a squonk isn't just going to come out and say hi.

More info on the game can be found at: http://www.endaron.com/onnmg/cryingwoods.html.

If you want to just download it, click here.

If you want to see a screenshot, here (OH NO! BAD GRAPHICS!):

I'm mostly looking for constructive criticism. I'll be the first to admit that this isn't anywhere close to an original idea, and it certainly isn't my best. It's a hacked-together game (possibly even more hacked together than my website... >.>) that sort of came together into...something...after a while. I just want to know where my efforts are getting me, and possibly to take some ideas that people give me, incorporate them and turn this into something more worth it. Smiley

Thanks in advance,
- Matt
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 10:56:49 PM by johnki » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic