Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 07:42:59 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSecrets of Grindea (Beta signup started!)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Secrets of Grindea (Beta signup started!)  (Read 77386 times)
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: April 18, 2012, 01:16:17 PM »

Eldboll, I think the portraits have a bit of pillow shading?
At least I noticed on that old guy's beard. His locks of hair are shaded as if there is no defined direction of a light source. Or in other words, pillow shading.
The rest of the shading doesn't look so good as well.
So a better shading will definitely make it look better.
Apart from that, I am not sure about the portrait style either(or simpley the shape, proportions of the faces), but I cannot advise you which other style to choose or if to keep this one. Because I don't know myself Tongue

Master of all trades.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: April 18, 2012, 01:36:39 PM »

I made a an edit

-The outlines are a bit too harsh and often don't have smooth contours. Try varying the color of the outline to something lighter nearer the lightsource/when adjacent to lighter fields of color (I didn't do this in my edit)
-Using line too much to define the shapes of things instead of shading.
-Inconsistent lightsource (highlights always seem to be around the edge of shapes, which flattens the image and doesn't convey form at all).
-Skin shades are pretty subtle and low-contrast, similarly not providing very much depth or form.
-Why is everybody looking way off to the right?

Hope this helps

Eldboll
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: April 19, 2012, 05:07:02 PM »

Thanks for the help guys, especially Xion for going the extra mile and doing a sweet edit! We've been doing some experimenting with all of your comments in mind and I think we're heading in the right direction. I'll keep you guys in the loop and update once we got something solid to show!

Once again, big thanks!

Eldboll
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: April 23, 2012, 04:29:58 PM »

This week, there’s been a ton of skill work done, and of course the thousand year battle of the GUI rages on. Menus aren’t exactly the most exciting thing in the world to show, and they aren’t even fully implemented yet, so this week we’ll treat you with two animated screencap gifs of the new skills!

This here spell is our first summon spell! It will summon a lightning cloud which hovers around, doubling as damage dealer and moral support (dat smile)! This is the first level of the skill. Later levels include features like targeting flying enemies, more damage, faster attack speed and less glee.

While it’s not set in stone, we’re toying with the thought of having summons be permanent (until you dismiss them). Instead of costing mana as you cast them, they would “block out” a part of your mana bar. That is, if you summon something which costs 30 % of your mana, for as long as you have that summon in play, those 30 % will not regenerate!

The gif above showcases one of our one handed weapon skills: Blade Flurry*!

It’s basically a series of very fast hitting strikes right in front of the character. It’s superb for exploiting openings in duels, like versus this lone Halloweed. It also has a very quick charge speed to offset its limited area of effect. The speed and duration of the move changes as you charge it, and later levels will have a fierce finishing strike to add even more damage!

For those of you yearning for another video… stay tuned! Some day, when the planets are aligned, it’ll appear!

*Working name :D

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: April 23, 2012, 05:04:42 PM »

Wow, this is looking better and better. What engine are you using to make it?

I love that cloud - it's very well animated. I also like the idea of summons being permanent with a certain amount of MP usage blocked out. Sounds like a good idea.

I also love the special attack - EVERYTHING in this game's well animated. It's great.

So this is going to be for PC, right? I thought it was going to be for iOS for some reason.

Savick
« Reply #125 on: April 23, 2012, 05:09:01 PM »

Looks nice and everything, but I'd be more satisfied if it wasn't pure fantasy. I mean like if you had steampunk/post apoc/ what have you elements along with pure fantasy. Then, I think I'd like to play it a lot more.
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: April 23, 2012, 05:50:24 PM »

Looking awesome and I agree with SolarLune about the summons being permanent and blocking certain amounts of MP. Think it would work well.

Also have to say I really like the world you guys have built and don't like the the suggestion of steampunk/post apoc/ because it would feel so forced and feels like it's done anytime someone is trying to justify doing a fantasy world. Your world doesn't seem to be only fantasy and actually seems to have a variety of influences which I really like. You guys have done a great job in building your own world with it's own unique feeling Gentleman

Eldboll
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: May 01, 2012, 05:02:08 AM »

So, yesterday was Valborgmässoafton (Walpurgis Night) here in Sweden. For those of you who don't know it's basically a day were you burn a lot of stuff, and people get really drunk. Needless to say I got a bit tipsy yesterday, which is why I'm a bit late with this update!

Anyway, this week we have spent a lot of time on interface stuff, mainly the skill distribution interface and the shop screen! As they’re not fully implemented you’ll have to wait a bit longer to see how it works, but we promise a video of it in it’s full glory(?) once we’re done!

To move on to more interesting things, Vilya has spent some time of the week doing this abandoned temple that will be a main dungeon in the game!

Unfortunately we won’t show any more than the entrance for a while, as we still need to backtrack to get the beta ready & polished, but to make up for it we have a few animations to show off:

This is a powered up version of the move you saw last week: Blade Flurry. By holding the button for longer, you get that high damaging final strike.

And here’s the equivalent for the two handed overhead attack. If you just press the skill button, you’ll just get one hit off, but if you hold it, you’ll get an additional slash during the startup. This will both yield more damage, and make it easier to land.

Solar Lune
Thanks dude, I'm doing my best with all of the animations! Grin
Yeah, we're developing it exclusively for PC at the moment. It might change later down the line, you never know, but we have no solid plans for that as of now.

Savick
Well, I guess that's a very personal opinion. For example I'm not a big fan of Steampunk/Post apoc settings myself. As for pure fantasy, that's not really what we're aiming for either. We're trying to go about it a bit like Ragnarok Online did, where they would mix different settings and genres to create something of their own. We're not going to go as haywire as RO did maybe, but we are trying to do our own thing and not just "hi this is a fantasy/steampunk/cyberpunk/whatever game" Grin

Franklins Ghost
Thanks man! Like I said, that's kinda what we're trying to do, create our own world. It's nice to see it shine through even though we haven't shown all that much of the actual world yet!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 05:36:36 AM by Eldboll » Logged

leonelc29
« Reply #128 on: May 01, 2012, 11:48:24 AM »

did i heard beta? and did i heard RO? will put a check list for 1st day purchase.

every update of this devlog will strangely put a smile on my face. ohh, speaking about face, the character really need facial expression especially when they attack, right now it look so...erm...blank?
PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: May 04, 2012, 11:09:18 AM »

Amaaazing. That little cloud summon is genius.
Eldboll
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: May 07, 2012, 01:31:44 PM »

We welcome you this week to the headquarter of The Collectors! This is the place where you’ll get a lot of your quests, and the most important ones at that. But of course, you have to earn your right to actually visit this place by completing a difficult trial first. Will you succeed? I guess we’ll see…

This week some people finally moved into the city of Evergrind as well! Here you can see them, minding their own business while waiting for their neighbors to settle Smiley

On another note. Should you by any chance visit Visby, Sweden in 2½ weeks you'll be able to catch a glimse of our first playable version of Grindea! Our school is arranging GGC, a small game conference on the island of Gotland and we’ll be there showing off our game live for the first time to the public! We’re very excited to see how people respond after playing it, and as you might guess we’ll be going into beta shortly after that weekend!

Leonelc
Facial expressions might be a good idea, good call! I'll squeeze it into my list of things to do and see what I can come up with.

PsySal
Thanks man, the little cloud dude has been getting a lot of love Grin

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: May 07, 2012, 03:36:47 PM »

I'm having a hard time reading the face of the woman sitting down at the table looking to the left. Maybe make her pupils two pixels high instead of one, like the other woman. The guard's hat lacks the detail that the other sprites have. Also, you could put some shading on the sides of the roof, and under the trees. Otherwise, everything looks really nice. Great job so far!

Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 07, 2012, 04:50:21 PM »

Looking amazing as always, Great work!

Eldboll
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: May 14, 2012, 03:29:54 PM »

This week we spent writing the major cutscenes that will be found in the beginning of the game. These things might change slightly as the game evolves, but should still tell the story properly.

Vilya also created the inside of the headquarters from last week:

For now there are only three doors, but after the beta we plan on adding special rooms that will unlock as you progress on your adventure and gain rank within The Collectors Guild.

I spent some of the week making some more NPCs, ready to move into the soon bustling city.

We plan on making all our NPCs (save for the guards) special in some way, and in the end most of them should have at least one quest related to them. We’re doing our best to make sure it’s not just a bunch of the traditional “go kill 10 slimes” and try to come up with different types of activities for your character to participate in, but for the beta we might keep it simple to give people a chance to get familiar with the basic systems.

Other than that, we decided to spice up the spell casting graphics a little, adding this effect when releasing a charged spell:

The color will vary slightly depending on what type of spell it is.

SolarLune
Thanks for valid feedback man, helps out a lot!

WindyBeard
Thanks duuude!

Eldboll
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: May 21, 2012, 06:08:27 AM »

As we’re in the middle of the last-minute crunchtime we’ll keep it short this time with a freshly made trailer for GGC and SGA:

Now, time to get back to our attempts at making everything look and work as great as possible for the coming events! Wish us luck Smiley

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: May 21, 2012, 06:33:34 AM »

Nice looking new trailer. Any idea on when people will be able to get their hands on the game?

DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: May 23, 2012, 03:25:17 AM »

Having now seen this moving, I am making it my intention to have its babies. YOU WILL NOT STOP ME IN THIS QUEST!

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
http://pigignorant.com/
ExoShock
Level 0

Mech Lore Creator

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 23, 2012, 08:25:00 AM »

This is for PC I take it?

The charge system seems like an interesting choice. What inspired you to revamp your system to encompass it? Do skills cost more mana the longer they're charged?

Are there passive skills? If so, what kind?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 09:23:50 AM by MechLore » Logged
Scott
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: May 23, 2012, 09:16:58 AM »

Tears of Joy
This... is... AWESOME! (sorry don't know what else to say)
Good luck with the events!

Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 23, 2012, 12:44:32 PM »

I would ditch Diablo 3 for this! FACT!  Hand Money Right

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic