Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:07:51 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSecrets of Grindea (Beta signup started!)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11
Print
Author Topic: Secrets of Grindea (Beta signup started!)  (Read 77376 times)
Eldboll
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: August 28, 2012, 07:52:29 AM »

Almost forgot, we have started a signup for the beta for anyone interested. We will let the first people get their hands on the beta in 2 weeks, and gradually let more and more people in as we go. You will need Desura to be able to play the beta.

For more information about how to sign up for the beta, click here!

Schoq
You are right, we'll send him to a good plastic surgeon and have him fixed up asap! Thanks for pointing it out!

jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 28, 2012, 09:05:49 AM »

Excited to see this nearing completion. I don't have time to sign up for beta testing myself but I am super stoked for the finished product.
melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: August 28, 2012, 09:35:01 AM »

Hey, I'd like to help a fellow dev out with testing. I posted in your IndieDB thread as well.

Working on Anodyne 2! https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=65359.0 Made Anodyne, Even the Ocean, All Our Asias
R.D.
Level 2

Making a game about balls. Yepp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: August 28, 2012, 10:26:09 AM »

<3

Eldboll
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: August 30, 2012, 02:21:51 PM »

Lot's of exciting stuff going on now! The beta is just around the corner, and we also signed up for Steams Greenlight that launched today. If any of you guys feel like giving us a helping hand, head over to our Greenlight page and give us a vote!

Haga
Level 0

A miserable little pile of secrets!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: September 01, 2012, 06:07:08 AM »

OMG this game looks amazing!
verticalvertex
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 01, 2012, 06:35:36 AM »

Saw this over at greenlight. Best of luck.

It's all good.
Eldboll
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: September 06, 2012, 05:34:08 AM »

So, a lot of time and energy have went into getting things ready for Greenlight and the beta, but we have managed to still get some work done on the game itself! Due to popular demand, we’ve added an experience bar to the HUD (previously it was shown only in the menu), as well as buff indicators.

When a buff is about to run out, it will start pulsating, and eventually become tinted red before disappearing. We might go for a WoW-like cooldown timer approach if testers find this system to be unclear, although the tiny resolution might make that a bit messy. The buffs in the screenshot above are a damage increasing potion, and a spell which increases attack- and cast speed!

We’ve also changed up the notices for when you complete a quest, get a new card and gain an achievement. They used to look very much alike, so we decided to add some flair to each of them:

Sort of how they all used to look

How they’re looking now

In game, they are filled with text and images, of course. Apart from the GUI-work, here’s a brand new two handed weapon you’ll be able to craft!

So yeah, that’s what’s been going on! Back to crunching!

melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: September 06, 2012, 06:37:50 AM »

I'm so excited. Believe in yourselves! Can't wait...

Working on Anodyne 2! https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=65359.0 Made Anodyne, Even the Ocean, All Our Asias
Eldboll
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: September 19, 2012, 07:05:37 AM »

A lot of effort have gone into polishing things we’ve got feedback on, and fixing bugs hunted down by our testers. But we have also spent some time adding new content for the game, which should be available in the coming patch.

To begin with, there will be some slight improvements of the Arena. We have refined the point system of the challenges, which now works as follows: Your best grades in every challenge will add up to a total score, and when that total reach certain key numbers, you gain unique items.

For instance, let’s say S is worth 500 and A is worth 300. Then you would have 800 points in total, should you have achieved rank S in one and A in another. If you later increase your A to an S you will earn the remaining 200 points, giving you a total of 1000.

In such a system, we could let players who aren’t super hardcore get a taste of the unique items as well by having a reward at 500 points (which you could get with two As), and a second one on 1000 points (which only the best can get, with two S ranks).

This might be very technical, but hopefully it will make sense to you in the game. Speaking of which, to reflect the new point system we have also improved the arena interface as such:

As you can see, you can now view your current points, which reward you’ll get next, and how many points each rank will give you.

If you’re curious on which the next 3 rewards will be, we have added a poster showing just that on the wall of the Arena Lobby:

Speaking of those rewards, here are some of the new hats offered, in action:

The first three will be offered as rewards in the arena, as you just saw, while the fish hat will replace the old reward for unlocking the Pillar Mountains fishing achievement.

Another improvement we added was effects for some of the potions currently offered in the game. This one will be shown when you drink the Damage Potion, which boosts both your normal attack and skill damage:

We also made one for the Gale Potion, which increases your attack- and castspeed:

That’s all for now! Hope to see you soon in the beta Wink

Bandreus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: September 19, 2012, 07:08:15 AM »

How promising is this? So beautiful!

Also, I'm hoping I get into the beta somehow *crosses fingers*

melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: September 19, 2012, 07:55:05 AM »

Played a bit of the beta last night. Quite lovely, I'll comment on your Desura first impressions thread soon.

Eldboll
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: September 25, 2012, 04:09:56 AM »

This week, we have done some changes to the Collectors Exam the players must pass during the early parts of the game in order to become a Collector. For those of you who doesn’t know, the exam is divided into a three part trial. Initially the three parts were treasure hunting, puzzling as well as a juicy combat part.

After some feedback and a lot of talking and discussion within the team we decided to change the treasure hunting into a fishing event instead. The main reason for the change was that the fishing system is used much more frequently through out the game, so it made more sense making it a part of the trials. It also streamlined the introduction of the fishing much more for us, something that we have been having headaches over for a while.

The fishing event in action!

Besides reworking and touching up old things, we have made some new progress.  We have started working on a new boss! Two actually, as they are a pair of demon twins. They are an optional encounter, but we are putting just as much love and care into them as the main bosses.

We’ll not dive into detail into the mechanics of how they work since they are still in the prototype stage, so you’ll have to do with some eye candy and the promise of fierce boss battle once it all comes together.

From early design sketches to finished sprites!

And some freshly baked animations!

seagaia
Glad you liked it dude, and thanks for the post in the first impressions thread. The feedback really helps us a lot with figuring out what works and what doesn't.

Bandreus
Haha, thanks man! If you've signed up in our Beta thread over at Desura, the chances are good you'll get in sooner or later. As more content gets added, we need all the testing help we can get!

Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: October 15, 2012, 11:26:00 AM »

Congrats on the Greenlight!

Really like the look of this. Lovely animation.

I do agree with some of the posts earlier in the thread though about the portraits (still reading through the rest). They don't mesh that well with the rest of the visuals. If I had to put my finger on why I'd say it's because all the in-world art is really cute while the portraits lack that same appealing quality...

[edit: I think my problem with it is that the difference between childlike avatars and adult portraits is really jarring, but I guess this is part of the JRPG-esque aesthetic, so never mind]
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 01:20:22 PM by Ninja Dodo » Logged

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 15, 2012, 01:49:11 PM »

Love it. The combat system seems smooth and varied after watching your video detailing it.

One suggestion. Coliseums are interesting, but what would be even more interesting is some more challenging areas. Just spread out some challenging junk around your game, that's integrated with the world, and put valuables on the other side of them, so players are motivated. You don't need to add any extra content, you just need to create the areas. I assume you have lot of items etc. to give away.

Coliseums are really for a little extra difficulty. They should handle borderline cases of play. If you want hardcore players to play - and you say the game is tuned more at semi-core - then make the challenge more integrated with your world. This is a big change for beta level, but gives huge rewards for the effort. And keep the coliseum (duh).
PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: October 15, 2012, 07:29:44 PM »

Congrats on the Greenlight you guys, it's well-deserved! I was super happy to see Grindea in there.
Eldboll
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: November 06, 2012, 07:08:05 AM »

I haven't updated this bad boy in a while now, felt like it was about time!

We got greenlit on steam, like some of you already mentioned. Super duper exciting, feels awesome knowing that Steam will pick up our game once it finished. Definitely a huge weight lifted of our shoulders, so thanks to all of the TIGdudes that voted for us.

So I've kinda missed out on a few weekly updates over here. I mostly just crosspost from our devlog over at www.secretsofgrindea.com/devlog, so you can catch up on anything you missed over there if you're interested.

This past week, Vilya begun working on the graphical assets for our very first dungeon in the game, which is kind of super exciting! There’s still some other things we must rap up before we can start actually designing the dungeon it self, but we’ll get there soon enough.

In short (and without spoiling too much, but still spoiling) the first dungeon is a ancient military base, driven by magic technology. It is inhabited by strange military machines designed purely for combat. Since Grindea has been at peace for a long time, what the Ancients needed a military base for is somewhat of a mystery. A mystery for you to solve!

We did some experimenting with the colors and lighting before settling on somewhat of a darker tone.

The first version, above, which we discarded shortly after.

Second version, which we liked better! With enemy sketches and character added for effect.

We felt the second both fit the theme better, as well as helping the enemies stand out from the background. Of course, we still wanted it to feel like both the enemies and the environment belong together. Therefore we chose to use magical energy details in both the backdrop as well as the enemies themselves, to connect the two. Once again we did some minor variations of the color of the energy, to help separate the two even further.

Besides the temple, Fred has done some NPC animations, as well as wrapping up the level 5 version of the Fireball spell.

PsySal
Thanks man!

Graham.
We are working on some similar features for the game, such as optional bosses and things like that. Optional areas is also something we have on the wishlist, we just have to prioritize a bit since we are such a small team.
But all in all great suggestions, something we for sure want to add!

Ninja Dodo
Thanks duuude!
Yeah, the portraits are probably what we've had to iterate the most so far. I think we have made major improvements from the original versions, we'll see if we'll give them even more face lifts before we are fully satisfied. Some people seem to like them, some people seem to hate them.

beetleking22
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 06, 2012, 07:16:23 AM »

Pretty orgasmic sprites  Blink This game remind me of Ragnarokonline wich was Imo best mmo game of all time.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 07:33:15 AM by beetleking22 » Logged
crazyheckman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: November 06, 2012, 09:14:57 AM »

Are those floaty ball things based off of Fatal Labyrinth?
Wilds
Level 0

Capre Diem

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: November 22, 2012, 10:46:47 AM »

I like it that it seems to feel so polished!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic