Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411278 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:15:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSecrets of Grindea (Beta signup started!)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Secrets of Grindea (Beta signup started!)  (Read 77377 times)
hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2011, 05:13:25 PM »

lol, that does look awesome, quite hypnotising O_O.. *hic*

Eldboll
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2011, 06:37:14 PM »

New weekly recap over at http://www.secretsofgrindea.com/index.php/dev-blog

In short, we've continued working on the mini boss bandit chick and she's more or less done. She's in the game and only needs a few animation touch ups! Also, our shopping district in the capital town is starting to shape up and it's looking pretty sweet so far!

As a little tease, here's one of the twenty something animations for miss bandit leader!

jazeker
My work flow could very well be one of the worst in the world. Especially when it comes to my animations. If I ever tried to make a tutorial about it, it would probably end up something like this http://tinyurl.com/ctzbtgt Grin

Mecha
 Beer!

PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2011, 12:31:58 AM »

I don't recall ever seeing a pixel art game with such smooth and excellent animations.
Great job!

Master of all trades.
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2011, 02:20:18 AM »

Totally agree, they remind me a little of Serious Sam: Random Encounter, equally excellent timing on the animations.

Eldboll
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2011, 07:35:54 PM »

PompiPompi

Thanks dude, I'm trying my best!

Netsu
Thanks man, I take that as a huge compliment! Haven't played the game, but I've followed it a while and it sure looks sweet!

New weekly update over at whttp://www.secretsofgrindea.com/index.php/dev-blog
More bosses and more development on the city this week, exciting stuff!

We're having a bit of a dilemma over how much of the progress we make we should actually show in our blog. On one hand, you want to share everything you do because it's nice with feedback and getting people fired up. On the other hand, you don't want to spoil the entire game before it's even released!

How do you guys go about that? How do you keep the player interested enough to follow your progress without giving too much away? It's a frickin science!

RCIX
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2011, 05:10:40 PM »

RCIX

I have never played Minecraft so no, no relation ;o Why do you ask?

Not only is your name similar to him, your art seems to share his style and level of quality Smiley
jazeker
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2011, 07:32:40 AM »

that's a good tutorial  Cheesy

I have always liked rpg's and this is going to be a very good one  Smiley
Eldboll
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2011, 07:49:40 PM »

Almost forgot! Weekly update over at www.secretsofgrindea.com/devlog
This week: sound programming, NPC portraits and treasure hunting animations!

jazeker
Thanks, we hope so too Grin

RCIX
Cool, I'll have to check him out ^^

RCIX
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2011, 02:07:30 AM »

He's on these forums as eld.

Nie work btw, great chars/anims!
Eldboll
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2011, 06:11:50 PM »

RCIX
I checked him out and he seems like a solid dude! Turns out his also from Sweden Grin Team Eld here we go!

Christmas is getting closer but we're still hammering away on the game. We're aiming to have a closed beta of a portion of the game in early January, so the holidays will have to wait!

Oh, and a new weekly recap over at our website. A couple of skill animations and some reworks of last weeks portraits. We got some harsh (but valid) feedback last week which helped us improve upon some of the NPC portraits!

We'll see what happens with next weeks update, with Christmas being just around the corner. Hopefully we won't get to occupied and keep the updates flowing!

Eldboll
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2012, 02:20:38 PM »

Back from holidays and visiting the family!

Things are still moving along smoothly despite school being a bit of a bitch and I've caught my second cold in three weeks. But oh well!

The last few weeks we've added a bunch of new (and working) skills as well as a new, big area. The capital of Grindea, Evergrind City! It will work as a main hub through out the game, acting as the starting point for a lot of quests and other goods!
Here's a small preview of the city, this being the shopping district more or less:

We've updated our devlog with a post about it as well, along with some animations and stuff.

R.D.
Level 2

Making a game about balls. Yepp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2012, 02:31:49 PM »

This Game looks SO bad ass. I will play this like hell!

Ashkin
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2012, 02:58:52 PM »

I like the latest screen, but I'm not sure I like the dirt in it. The texture of it doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of the game's style. It looks too high-res. Also, I'm not sure I like the sickly yellow colour much :/
poe
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2012, 06:05:43 PM »

Why can't this come out sooner D:
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2012, 06:26:04 PM »

Great graphics, Eldboll. Looks really sweet. I agree with Ashkin, though - the dirt's a little too yellow.

EDIT: Oh, and the signs seem a little flat to me. I think it's because you use the orange-ish color as an edge coloring rather than to give the illusion that the signs' top is that color. Other than that, it's pretty great-looking!

How do you guys go about that? How do you keep the player interested enough to follow your progress without giving too much away? It's a frickin science!

I know what you mean. I'm trying to figure that out myself - I'm pretty much working at the same pace as my updates, so once I get to working with the story, it might get hard not to spoil anything. I think that maybe you should so really small updates, like:

"Here's a heart container. It increases your life by a certain amount. We store the amount in a per-object variable so that different containers can increase your life by different amounts. So be sure to pick some up when you go to the supermarket!" *HAHAHALAWLZDEVLOGUPDATEOVER*

Eldboll
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2012, 02:25:17 PM »

R.D.
Thanks man, glad you like it Grin

Ashkin
Thanks for the feedback man, we've had that dirt pretty much since day one so we kinda stared us blind at it. Vilya gave it another go today and reworked it a bit. We all like this one a lot better, what do you guys think?

poe
Because of all the tons and tons of awesome content we have planned for it! Hopefully it will be worth the wait Grin

SolarLune
You too man, thanks for the feedback. We really appreciate you guys pointing out stuff we can improve upon to make this the best game it can possibly be!

Yeah, smaller but frequent updates is probably what we'll go for, with the occasional a-bomb of goodies in form of a new gameplay video or something like that.   

Ashkin
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2012, 04:36:30 PM »

Ashkin
Thanks for the feedback man, we've had that dirt pretty much since day one so we kinda stared us blind at it. Vilya gave it another go today and reworked it a bit. We all like this one a lot better, what do you guys think?

A brilliant improvement.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2012, 05:15:30 PM »

The dirt's still too yellow for me, but it is an improvement. Nice work!

R.D.
Level 2

Making a game about balls. Yepp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2012, 01:14:44 AM »

I think the yellow dirt is cool. Realism is something you can do if you make Call of Duty 1000 (or what ever the current Version is called) Smiley
It gives the game a unique feeling imho!

elisee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2012, 10:20:17 AM »

Really like the look and feel of this.

You mention being Windows-only on your homepage but since you're using XNA and doing 2D, you should look into MonoGame or Anx at some point. They are ports of XNA to run under various other platforms (Mac, Linux, etc.). I know MonoGame works very well already for 2D games (Terraria has been shown to run under Linux, and I have been able to "port" some of my own projects in little time)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic