Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 10:18:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsCollaborationsdelete me
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: delete me  (Read 2046 times)
Jasmine
« on: October 27, 2011, 03:28:14 AM »

delete me
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 10:04:26 AM by jlwgl » Logged
increpare
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 03:43:52 AM »

I have an idea for a marketing strategy I'd like us to implement.
fixed Wink

(might be worth saying what sort of help/skills you need to get the project made)
Liosan
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 04:03:59 AM »

-- Managing codes. Codes could be pseudorandomly generated, or pulled from a server. But how could we create the one-use-only behaviour?
Generate them on the server, store them on a server-side database, and check for uniqueness during generation. Mark a code as used up whenever a player uses it to activate a game.

Which brings me to my question - how do you guarantee that a player can access the game after he has used his code? Do you require logins and passwords? Or does the player just paste-in the code and that grants him access?

Liosan

Geeze
Level 5

Totally.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 05:22:02 AM »

Hell yeah. But if I was making this, I would annoy players by requiring a new code after game over. And you can only use codes got from others. Hardcore social gaming! Cheesy

Geeze
Level 5

Totally.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 06:19:37 AM »

I probably would but I have another project with Doompuppet. It's actually bit related to this thread. It's a topdown view, class-based co-op dungeon crawler, where you need classtokens to play specific classes. Tokens are awarded when you accomplish stuff; beat dungeon, optional boss, level up your "champion" high enough, etc. etc.
The fun thing is, that balancing the game and classes won't be so hard. I can make overpowered class and just make acquiring that token harder. For example obtaining Dragon Knight would require first beating some dungeon with basic warrior (to get Knight token) and then slay that 1337-level dragon boss with any knight variant.
Of course players will have infinite amount of basic classes. (warrior, archer, healer)

So would you be interested in working on this project Jasmine? Cheesy

ollie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 04:28:40 PM »

I always find this kinda stuff interesting, my problem is that I don't trust people not to divulge the secret.

What it might be kinda cool to do would be to add to an online mural or story or something like that when someone completes the game - maybe have it based on decisions made in game; the downside being that it would require an internet connection (though that's almost a given nowadays).

It would give you a measure of how far the game has spread as well
dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 04:39:42 PM »

This sounds like a really cool idea.

I'd be up for programming in flash and the codes part doesn't seem to hard to implement. I'm really only available if it's a short quick game though.  I don't have enough time at the moment to start a big project but if it was a quick 3 day - 1 week thing I would be down.

regardless its a cool idea and I think it'd be easy enough for the game to spread faster then the secret spreads so hopefully people telling others wouldn't be a problem.
jerb
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 12:10:08 PM »

Its a really cool game idea, if it worked according to plan.

My best guess is that once a group of people access it, one or two will not like the game and spill the secret on a forum or something.

Once the secret is out most people will just read about it and not wait/care to get invited.

"Every child is an artist. The problem is to remain an artist once they grow up." - Pablo Picasso
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic