Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411803 Posts in 69416 Topics- by 58462 Members - Latest Member: Moko1910

May 28, 2024, 07:14:01 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsReprisal - Green Lit!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Author Topic: Reprisal - Green Lit!  (Read 24766 times)
CEDE
Level 2

Don't Stress, Live a Cool Life

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2011, 12:30:19 PM »

Damn, this looks great. I just started out the flash demo and the presentation is fantastic.

portfolio | studio | latest game: shade dogs | twitterpost-it
electrolyte
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2012, 02:10:28 AM »

Back! Added another Island to the beta build which will let you play with a couple more new powers (Twisters and Whirl pools). The port over to a larger, dynamic game area is finished. Started work on in-game 'Awards' which has just been popped in so has sprite holders for the moment. Erm, new music added, new island type added ... improved populants A.I. ... !

You can play the most current build on a brand new link:
http://www.reprisaluniverse.com/playreprisal/

And as ever all the Dev chatter and work-in-progress can be seen here:
http://www.reprisalthegame.com/

And I know its a bit late but ...

electrolyte
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2012, 02:14:45 AM »

Day 386

So at long last im trying to tackle the tutorial / how to play section. I've been playing with some ideas but really can make up my mind. I programmed up a whole in-game movie player to play tutorials but have decided against this now. I'm currently thinking about have an interactive in game overlay but im still not sure its the right idea, the problem that's facing me is that the game can be described as its most basic as:

"Your the blue team, take out any other teams by building land to increase your population"

But behind that is so much more in terms of using Mana, Powers, building larger building for stronger troops, set rally points etc ...

Heres a mock up of the interactive overlay im currently thinking about:

lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2012, 10:01:41 AM »

In terms of presentation, consider dimming down the entire screen and only highlighting/brightening key objects pertaining to what's in the overlay. For instance, if you were explaining how to use the blue circle in the top left corner, darken everything else in the UI except it so I know exactly what you're talking about. People commonly skim read during tutorials, so whatever you can reinforce with visuals, the better the chance you have of that information actually sticking.

I'd also drop the overlay down so you can still see the game behind it.

I'm curious to know why you killed the movie tutorial idea tho?

CEDE
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2012, 02:42:12 PM »

electrolyte
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2012, 03:09:50 AM »

@CEDE ... wow thank you so much! That's very cool, ive seen a few more of these that you have done on this forum, are you going to collect them together for an on-line project? If you don't mind im going to re-blog and credit you on the reprisal dev blog  Coffee

@lowpoly, thanks for the feedback. Yep I think dimming other bits is a good idea. I went off the video idea as after some testing my server was too slow in a response time and I really wanted something 'instant'. Also I felt it was nicer for the user to "click = give me info on this bit" rather than watching pre-amble. All that said I will be doing an overview video which will be viral. I just have to find the time! Juggling a full time design job and other commitments means I have to keep my eye on the finshed game and its now been over a year in development!

Thank you to you both as I had a low day with it yesterday but your responses have lifted me  Smiley

CEDE
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2012, 10:08:39 AM »

@CEDE ... wow thank you so much! That's very cool, ive seen a few more of these that you have done on this forum, are you going to collect them together for an on-line project? If you don't mind im going to re-blog and credit you on the reprisal dev blog  Coffee

Actually I have been mailing the post-its directly to those who have PM'd me their address. You are welcome to do the same.  Smiley

superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2012, 02:20:17 PM »

How have I missed this!  I love the look of it, I'm a big fan of Populous, and I can only imagine how tricky it must be to code.  Looks awesome.

superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2012, 02:34:31 PM »

Oh I'm sorry it's already playable.  I just had a quick go and it looks even better in motion. So far it plays very similarly to the games it's a homage to. 

Visually it would be nice to see some surf where the waves meet land possibly?

For some reason the scrolling ran sluggishly.  The interface took a while to figure out.  I think I wanted to be in terraforming mode by default, or at least I expected to be and thought there might be something wrong with my browser or something.

I love the GUI (I think it would work in higher res actually, but you may want the purity of it which I can understand.)  Love the blur as others have said, and the slight texturing.

Haven't played long enough to comment on balance and so on yet, but look forward to trying later builds.

electrolyte
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2012, 02:37:18 AM »

Thanks Jasper, yeah I loved the original Populous games.

Thanks for all your comments. Just out of interest what spec is the machine your running on as you mentioned the scrolling was a bit sluggish? I've been trying to test it on a wide variety of machines from an old Intel PentiumD PC, a 2 year old Mac Book and a bang up to date Intel i7 so would be cool to know.

thanks

electrolyte
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2012, 08:12:40 AM »

Been struggling with this for quite a while, but am getting a little closer to finishing the help section. Taken on board dimming stuff in the hud so only things being talked about are highlighted. Really don't know why it's been such a struggle, kinda dented growth on the actual game but I think things are back on track now.  Waaagh!

Here's some shots ...

Also my PC is over 10years old now and takes ages to compile code for testing, so having to link a Mac laptop to the PC using dropbox, but still have to publish on the PC at the end result as the Mac screws up font alignment something crazy. Sigh!

If anyone knows a good workaround for text displaying fine on PC and Mac when publishing in Flash please let me know ...

hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2012, 08:40:29 AM »

This looks and sounds beautiful!

electrolyte
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2012, 02:32:19 PM »

So I’ve been thinking a lot about the overall game play and how the story / challenges pan out. After some careful thought I’ve decided that at the moment the game lacks any sort of progressive pace, so I’ve come up with two types of challenges which are more linked to a back story.

1. Normal Reprisal level - Island is completed once all enemy populants are taken out.

2. Power Collection - Island is completed once you have located and collected a new power totem somewhere in the island.

The new Power Collection challenges will add pace to the game by gradually rewarding players with powers to use. And here’s an overview of the Reprisal Back story [draft!]:

……………………………………………………………………………..

“You were once a powerful leader of a distance tribe with the ability to harness power totems of nature. With these powers you guided your people.

Now you have been cast aside as three tribes who are at war have taken control and scattered your people and totems across distant lands.

You must now guide your people to become a powerful tribe once again, collecting your power totems throughout the lands and overthrowing those tribes that stand in your way.

Begin your Reprisal to reclaim your history …”

sonicblastoise
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2012, 12:50:37 PM »

Just checking in again, having played it for the last 15 minutes. I like the improvements you've made so far.

Classic Populous gameplay is still intact, and the challenge has increased dramatically! awards and award progress is cool, but seems vague right now. Hope some more of the game mechanics get a tooltip attached (like how to switch your settlers from "build" to "fight" mode and how that affects their behavior), but overall it definitely feels like its moving towards a full-blown awesomely playable game. Sandbox mode perhaps? Or randogen skirmish mode?

Also, cool premise, sounds similar to the one in From Dust, but with a bit more actiony kaboom power behind it. Here's to hoping for some more dramatic actiony kaboom moments in the game. I was thoroughly surprised and frightened when the first level god was casting fire all over my settlements. That bastard.

Anyway, keep up the great work Smiley
electrolyte
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2012, 04:26:31 AM »

Ha thanks, yeah want to add some serious Kaaaaboooom to it! 
Coffee

Hope in next build release there will be a new island and the new challenge system.
It's little by little ...
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 05:33:37 AM by electrolyte » Logged

electrolyte
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2012, 05:33:18 AM »

forgot to put this in last post  Smiley

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2012, 03:27:58 AM »

Jelly.. Smiley

rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2012, 08:40:51 AM »

I know it's a mock-up but everyone should remember to run all on-screen text through a spellchecker and run it by proofreaders before committing it to the game.

The caption here should be:
"These mysterious discs show other team totems. Yours is the blue disc. Each shows a team's Populas amounts."

Underlines show corrections. (I assume "Populas" is an in-game term. Just started delving into this devlog.)

Seriously love the look of the game! Not sure how I missed this devlog until now.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2012, 12:40:00 PM »

I am furiously masturbating to this. GODDAMNIT THIS LOOKS SO GOOD
oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2012, 12:41:40 PM »

I am furiously masturbating to this. GODDAMNIT THIS LOOKS SO GOOD

It is good, you should play those first five levels.

...Or are they not up anymore?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic