Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 05:50:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralEE THREE HIGH LIGHTS
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Print
Author Topic: EE THREE HIGH LIGHTS  (Read 19540 times)
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: July 24, 2008, 11:28:51 AM »

motherfuckers.

Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 24, 2008, 11:35:57 AM »

It wouldn't make much sense to require a rope if it was right next to the shaft. Undecided
cyber95
Level 5

The Computer is your friend.

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 24, 2008, 12:46:19 PM »

Fallout isn't just one of those games where you can just rush right through and not worry about the small stuff. You have to do some actual thinking.

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: July 24, 2008, 01:12:21 PM »

Yeah, Vault 15 is not a zelda dungeon where every item you need is there. You really need to explore the places you pass by in order to keep progressing somewhere else. It's all about the larger picture.

Zaphos
« Reply #104 on: July 24, 2008, 01:53:12 PM »

Fallout isn't just one of those games where you can just rush right through and not worry about the small stuff. You have to do some actual thinking.
Figuring out where the game designers decided to put a rope should probably not be confused with thinking.

Generally, asking the player to backtrack for trinkets and/or hoard random items isn't really a positive aspect of a design, I think.
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: July 24, 2008, 02:09:56 PM »

yeah, no seriously. you arent gonna convince me this is good design.
had the game world been fully realized and i had actually walk by or through said city, then maybe i would have stopped by to find some fucking rope.
but since the overworld is just somekind of automated map, i saw a city there, and figured id check it out later since THAT DUDE TOLD ME TO GO TO VAULT 15 TO GET THAT WATER THING.

why do i even need that rope in the first place?
well, clearly it's ONLY purpose is to get me to backtrack to that city.
so your first real objective is to backtrack? brilliant.
if the designer wanted me to go to that city so damned much, he should have made THAT the objective.

this is elementary stuff, people.
your judgment is clouded by nostalgia.

im gonna give it another shot but the next time i hit a shitty design wall like that, im done. i have no patience whatsoever for this kind of bullshit.

fucking north-american RPGs.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: July 24, 2008, 02:24:23 PM »

And what are you judging north american RPGs against?
European RPGs? Japanese RPG (rofl)? Samoan RPGs?

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
FARTRON
Level 4

the last man in space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: July 24, 2008, 02:27:30 PM »

yeah, no seriously. you arent gonna convince me this is good design.
had the game world been fully realized and i had actually walk by or through said city, then maybe i would have stopped by to find some fucking rope.
but since the overworld is just somekind of automated map, i saw a city there, and figured id check it out later since THAT DUDE TOLD ME TO GO TO VAULT 15 TO GET THAT WATER THING.

Just like a Canadian to worry so much about what he's told to do. Fuck that old guy. You've finally escaped the vault and the world is your oyster. Go get laid. Gamble. Fight a gang. Find a flame thrower and set people on fire.

Everything that was once directly lived has receded into a representation. - debord
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: July 24, 2008, 02:34:02 PM »

hey fartron, fuck you.
i've never even set foot anywhere in canada outside of quebec.
and yeah, us quebecers, we fucking LOVE being told what to do, what with the INDEPENDENCE movement and all.

seriously. fuck right off.

FARTRON
Level 4

the last man in space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: July 24, 2008, 02:37:43 PM »

Maybe if you're in such a bad mood you shouldn't play Fallout.

Everything that was once directly lived has receded into a representation. - debord
increpare
« Reply #110 on: July 24, 2008, 02:42:16 PM »

seriously. fuck right off.
Mitchard
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 24, 2008, 03:01:34 PM »

Wait until you realise that the only thing you gain from going into the vault is experience and that it's entirely optional.

Or the game says "Hey, remember those numbers you chose right at the beginning of the game? Hah, well you picked the wrong ones and now I'm going to fuck you over".

Or the game randomly dicks you over and decides to teleport you into a room full of hostiles/make the previously non hostile NPC's surrounding you randomly hostile with little to no explanation.
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 24, 2008, 03:04:19 PM »

fish, you shouldn't play the game if you don't like it. It's a matter of taste. RPG fans appreciate the exploration. We enjoy looking at every corner and finding out everything about the game world. It's also a genre that requires WAY more patience and time than all the others (excluding MMOs), and can indeed be quite frustrating and at times.

Fallout is kind of like the GTA of RPGs. Want to kill random people or even everyone on the town? Sure. Talk your way through the whole game, not fighting even once? Absolutely. Head straight to the last boss from the starting point of the game? You can.

It definitely is a little dated and has many imperfections that bother me (the battle system sucks, for instance). But I still love it.
Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 24, 2008, 03:09:27 PM »

if the designer wanted me to go to that city so damned much, he should have made THAT the objective.

this is elementary stuff, people.
your judgment is clouded by nostalgia.

How would the designer tell you? Magical floating faeries?

Or the game randomly dicks you over and decides to teleport you into a room full of hostiles/make the previously non hostile NPC's surrounding you randomly hostile with little to no explanation.
Huh? What are you talking about?
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: July 24, 2008, 03:16:55 PM »

sorry for being so grumpy.
its been a hard couple of years.

i want to like it.
even tho it's obviously not exactly my cup of tea.
but i just really dig everything post-apoc, and i want to do my homework before playing F3, which i expect to swallow my life whole.

fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: July 24, 2008, 03:34:20 PM »

i know!
ill play it stoned.

Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 24, 2008, 03:48:40 PM »

i know!
ill play it stoned.

:D :D :D
joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: July 24, 2008, 04:08:22 PM »

Yeah, for all of our saying "FALLOUT IS THE SHIZ" it should be acknowledged that the interface was clunky and it was a bit rough around the edges.

Remembering back, yeah I think that rope thing at the start was kind of lame for me too the first time I played.  I can't promise that there aren't other kludges like that later, but there is good stuff to make up for it.

these are from an actual radio shack in the ghetto
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: July 24, 2008, 04:11:35 PM »

i wouldnt mind the rope thing if it was 2-3 hours in, when you're familiar with how the game works and all that. but making it the first thing you have to do? it's a bit harsh.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: July 24, 2008, 04:31:44 PM »

HOW CARE AOUT TEH INTERFACE? Cool
I remember enjoying fallout because it was like a boardgame, it made your imagination work more than your video card. The bad interface might actually have contributed positively to that.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic