Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 05:50:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsWhere do I start?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Where do I start?  (Read 3523 times)
Parable4
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 29, 2011, 12:25:32 PM »

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums.  I want to create games and I am currently in college for Computer Science. I know parts of Java and C++ and my first goal is just to create a working menu screen and a single playable level of a snake clone.

My question is where do I begin? What do I start programming or should I make test graphics first?  Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 12:55:13 PM »

find the source code of a simple, working game and go through the code and alter the game to your liking. it's easier to alter a game than to make a new one, since the structure is already there. i started programming by altering the qbasic games that came with qbasic (gorillas, snake, etc.)

alternatively, i'd say start by following a tutorial; there are billions of 'how to make a game' tutorials online

Serapth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 12:57:54 PM »

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums.  I want to create games and I am currently in college for Computer Science. I know parts of Java and C++ and my first goal is just to create a working menu screen and a single playable level of a snake clone.

My question is where do I begin? What do I start programming or should I make test graphics first?  Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Since your first game is not graphically intensive, start with coding.  That means picking a language, libraries and getting at it.  Since you have some Java or C++ experience, either is an OK choice.  To get started start here it should answer most of your (initial) questions.  If you decide to go with C++, I have a tutorial linked on TIGForums that should get you going if you know the basics of C++, it has a basic menu, IO and animated graphics with collision detection, which is everything you need to know to make a snake game.
kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 12:58:07 PM »

I wonder if you know how Games work at all  Waaagh!.

If you don't, it might be hard to start out, but as Paul said, there's a lot of tutorials on the web.

I suggest you use C++ with SFML (2d graphics/sound etc. library) at the beggining. You can also have a look at SDL. There's also Allegro, but i don't like it somehow.

Parable4
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 09:27:56 PM »

Thank you for the responses guys, they all are helpful.

Kamac, I am a bit confused by what you meant by "I wonder if you know how games work at all"
kamac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 03:47:55 AM »

Kamac, I am a bit confused by what you meant by "I wonder if you know how games work at all"

How does the basics work  Tongue.

For example, that you have to draw something on the screen and then refresh your screen to see the results.

I meant real basics  Grin

Parable4
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 08:25:10 AM »

Ahh, now I understand what you mean. Yes, I know that is what needs to be done, its how I go about doing that that I am not fully aware yet.
kamac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 02:17:45 PM »

Then go with C++ and SFML!

There was a compare thread on SFML's forums made by their creator, which was comparing
SFML - SDL.

The program was working for 5 seconds and was displaying various task.

At first, displaying 2000 sprites.

SDL - 9 frames
SFML - 303 frames

Big difference!

Rotating 2000 sprites:

SDL  - 3 frames
SFML - 277 frames

There are more comparations there, on the original thread:
http://www.sfml-dev.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43

SDL probably supports more operating systems, but i choose SFML for it's speed  Smiley

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 03:00:35 PM »

i wouldn't really trust claims made by the developer of something, i'd rather see independent tests for obvious reasons of bias

also in general it's good to go with something proven over something new and untested, regardless of how attractive the new untested thing seems (i.e. the gold rush mentality is bad)

anyway, i wouldn't suggest he decide on a particular thing just yet, he should try them all out before deciding which he likes, not go on hearsay or recommendations. so he could try sdl, try sfml, try directx, try game maker, try unity, try a bunch of stuff, no reason not to try them all when he's so early in the learning process

timthetoolmantaylor
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 06:37:59 PM »

i wouldn't really trust claims made by the developer of something, i'd rather see independent tests for obvious reasons of bias

also in general it's good to go with something proven over something new and untested, regardless of how attractive the new untested thing seems (i.e. the gold rush mentality is bad)

anyway, i wouldn't suggest he decide on a particular thing just yet, he should try them all out before deciding which he likes, not go on hearsay or recommendations. so he could try sdl, try sfml, try directx, try game maker, try unity, try a bunch of stuff, no reason not to try them all when he's so early in the learning process

I think you mean e.g. instead of i.e.  Also, the gold rush mentality isn't bad at all.  Ask the forty niners. They made it rich! Hand Fork Left

Your obvious reasons of bias is really funny and ironic because it is a blatant example of your bias against developers.   Huh?

Braid.  Fable 2.  Halo 2.  Land of Legends.  The Sims: Pets.
ink.inc
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2011, 11:07:20 PM »

what the fuck are you babbling about
cystem glitch
Level 2

wack

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 11:03:52 AM »

I think you mean e.g. instead of i.e.  Also, the gold rush mentality isn't bad at all.  Ask the forty niners. They made it rich! Hand Fork Left

Your obvious reasons of bias is really funny and ironic because it is a blatant example of your bias against developers.   Huh?

I don't think so, Tim

You told me, never to limit myself to one style...to use any move that works...TO KEEP AN OPEN MIND!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic