Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 08:21:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs2-in-1 devlog → Probability 0 + Starseed Pilgrim
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: 2-in-1 devlog → Probability 0 + Starseed Pilgrim  (Read 7076 times)
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: October 30, 2011, 08:28:58 PM »

How did I let these two games remain so close to finished?

With some nudging from a friend, I've decided to push myself to finally getting these two guys done.

I think it'll happen. I'll try to post frequent updates.

The Big Plan: I'm going to be selling these two games in a tiny bundley package of my own. They offer interesting ends of my proc. genned platformer spectrum, and with them both so close to being done... well. I think it's about time to get my butt in gear.

Being realistic here, while I'd normally say each game is about 90%+ done, I'm going to knock this devlog down to 70%. There's a good amount of work to be done and I've got to face it!

Right. I totally need some screenshots (stolen from my very own website):

Starseed Pilgrim is a platformer about seeds and platforms and jumping and spreading dark stuff. Grow the world to escape the grasping tendrils of darkness; perhaps there's something to be found in the blank empty void.

Sweet art by Renton. (I won't let you down any longer!)

Probability 0 is a game about descending into an endless pit. It's an improved remake in Flash of the first game which I made in Python. Enemies get harder and harder; it's a challenging, endless arcade platformer.

Awesome and dynamic tunes by JMickle.

Okay, so they're not exactly screenshots. Good enough. Wish me luck :x

Last thing: Should I be trying to sell a pair of flash platformers I made? One is unreleased, the other is similar to (but better than, I hope!) a game that's been out and free for a long time. My plan is to release a demo for each and sell them, as a pair, for some number of dollars. Maybe two digits. I don't know yet.

The plan is to sell them on my own -- but I'm not going to avoid any other kind of distribution. I'm just focusing on finishing these two games. Together.

...  Gentleman
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 08:35:24 PM by Droqen » Logged

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 08:34:00 PM »

Hand Money Left  Shocked  Hand Money Right

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 08:47:51 PM »

By combining your devlogs, that means you'll only have one new failure! Genius!

I mean, um, *cough* um, yeah... Good luck. Yeah. Yeah that. Goooood luck. Good luck. Good luck!
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 09:20:21 PM »

I love how mokesmoe always shows up to insult you.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 10:43:42 PM »

He knows it's because I love him.

EDIT: No homo.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 10:52:36 PM by mokesmoe‽ » Logged
Ashkin
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 11:06:21 PM »

You better not abandon them both Lips Sealed
If you do not finish these so help me I WILL LOSE ALL FAITH IN YOU FOREVER.
It will be horrible, similar to the feeling a child has when he realizes that Santa is not real. Except, instead of noticing the presents under the tree are from mommy and daddy, he notices that mommy and daddy always promise presents and they are NEVER THERE and then he finally realizes that MOMMY AND DADDY WERE LYING and then the child loses all trust in the world and begins a deep depression which ends with his sad, sad death, his body hanging limp from a noose.
DO YOU WANT ME TO BE THIS CHILD DROQEN
DO YOU
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 11:10:37 PM »

Also:

Droqen, if you do not make this, you will be banned.

FOREVER

This applies to all of your projects.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 11:23:46 PM »

That's not the ☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆ I know

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 11:30:30 PM »

Getting away with not finishing these great games is not justice.
offal
Level 0

goblet lifestyle

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 10:11:00 AM »

i think you're missing the point. these games are functionally complete.
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 01:00:12 PM »

The funny thing is neither of them is incomplete at all at this point (see: offal's post), so I can't fail! I can just exclude everyone from ever, ever playing them Evil

(But I don't want to do that.)

Among abandoned projects these two are definitely the successes because though they were abandoned I keep comin' back to chip away at them.

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 08:10:42 PM »

Soon, better pictures.

Videos?

1. Probability 0 progress.

I've done a lot of thinking about new P0 enemies: replacing the old 'random status effects while you're deep down for no really good reason' with new 'enemies who fuck up your shit real good' sounds like a good idea to me.

FOR EXAMPLE:

An enemy who temporarily disallows the use of all abilities (you're reduced to basic punch, single jump, only vertical-down star).

An enemy who latches onto you and increases gravity. (safe fall height decreased)

An enemy who removes your HUD and your ability to pause the game.

An enemy who adds shitty vision restrictions -- 'blinds' you a little bit. Stacking effect.

I'm thinking about different ways these 'fade out'. Respectively:

As long as you remain in its area of effect.

Until you pick up a bubble (it forces its own item into the item queue to remove the restriction).

For a fixed period of time.

Permanently. The effect stacks and stacks until you are blind forever. Might fade, but slowly? Not sure. Permanently is probably ridiculous, but remember I'm playing around with making a game that maybe won't go on forever for the people who are way too good at it.

Additionally, there is no doubt that I will add a mode that allows you to experience even these horrors of horrors within the first few minutes of starting over after dying! This is important, because I'm probably not going to allow you to bump into any of the above sorts of assholes before you get to around 1km (which can take a bit of time!).

2. Starseed Pilgrim progress.

The focus here's been on the endgame, too. There are also some tutorial woes (see: P0 too).

Have discussed a lot of possibility to flesh out layer #3 (I'm not going to clarify this) and have discussed the endgame taking place in layer #1. I have to be careful about save files... what happens when you fail the endgame?

Should stepping into the endgame be an irreversible decision? I think it'd be okay especially if I were to give fair warning. Even if it totally screws up your save file... yeah, I think it'd be okay! Right? :x

Andrew Brophy
Level 2

can't be hip forever

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 08:14:58 PM »

Lovely topic formatting as always, Droqen.

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2011, 08:15:24 PM »

If nothing else :D

edit:
DIVE MODE

BOSS MODE

AAAAAAA

what's a good wording for each play mode

play beginning
play for real
play ORTOSLONAUT!
play abyssal

i don't want to repeat 'play' over and over, yet... it makes the menu make a lot more sense.

tough decisions.

edit!!!

Maybe in the menu I'll make the far right side devoted to the 'play menu' which actually faces the right way; once you go far enough it just shows you a bunch of icons (aligned top to bottom) with words next to them. Sounds like a good idea, I think
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 08:26:54 PM by Droqen » Logged

Andrew Brophy
Level 2

can't be hip forever

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2011, 08:58:15 PM »

I wanted to add emphasis to that. I really liked Probability 0, so this sounds delightful. Also:

play ORTOSLONAUT
This should be a game mode standard for future generations.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2011, 12:23:38 PM »

People who aren't good enough to reach the late game can play talent.

On the topic of stargrim pilseed:
I don't know how I feel about an irreversible endgame. It feels like it could be really cool, but the game so far is set up in a way that you are never really finished. I think that you should have it, but it shouldn't ruin everything you've done so far in the first layer, and shouldn't hinder further exploration in the layer. (I also am assuming that the first layer is the place you start in and you aren't using some crazy backwards talk.)
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2011, 03:03:52 PM »

Hmm.

Should I make an endgame, then, or focus on adding more detail to each layer so that it feels like you might never finish it?
Or... an endgame Super Mario 64ish in that the story 'ends', but you can still roam the game freely.
Good feedback! Thanks.

I don't think it's going to have a menu. Screw menus anyway!

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2011, 05:54:13 PM »

What if layer 1 kind of works as a menu, and the other islands you reach act as other gamemodes?
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2011, 06:01:54 PM »

It is something like that already.

While there are no menus, there are certainly... menu-analog spaces. Rarely do they have no other purpose, however (so it's more than just a fancy menu!).

basically: GET OUT OF MY HEAD
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 06:18:05 PM by Droqen » Logged

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2011, 06:19:52 PM »

I guess you could consider the Super Mario 64 castle a menu of sorts.

What if people submitted custom gamemodes and custom land masses together. And then your exploring and you see the island you made and you are like "Yes! Now I can play the gamemode I submitted!"
Although I don't see potential for very many custom games, so that's not likely to work. I just like the idea that people gain something from islands in a way that finding their island is more rewarding than any other random one.

Also I did reach the third layer once, but I don't remember much except that I didn't complete it, and I regretted going there because I wasted so many seeds I could have used in the first layer. Although maybe if I reached the end I wouldn't have felt that way.

Oh, and spoiler alert I guess. A bit late now.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic