Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411518 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 03:53:07 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingfinished puzzler in excel look
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: finished puzzler in excel look  (Read 2744 times)
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2012, 04:31:54 AM »

- Searched "excit" on the android marketplace and the demo wasn't even in the top-3 results. I'm so sorry. Sad

- Controls feel solid, and generally polished. Would appreciate an undo, perhaps.

- Music is nice, and you're using the spreadsheet aesthetic rather well.

- Copy edit: "companies" should be the possessive singular "company's"

- Those formulas look awful against the grey background of the help screen or the blue background of the level complete screen, being anti-aliased for a white background.

- The first level with multiple teleports has one teleport colored light green and another colored a slightly bluer green. Very difficult to distinguish at a glance. I'd tell you the level title, but I can't find a way to see them in levels I've already beaten.

- Like zaphos, I got bored around the time you introduced the bouncy corners. Started feeling a bit like work, running through the motions to predict or reverse engineer the cross' convoluted path. Might be more palatable treating it as a coffee break game or general timewaster instead of plowing through many levels in one sitting.

sirleto
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2012, 06:14:04 AM »

-excit is a TOTAL CRAP name in regards to any google search. because google corrects typing mistakes, and because C is next on keyboards to X the typicall hectic-typo is to type exCit even when you wanted to type exit.

so android market and google itself show EXIT results when you search for excit. to call this a sad "coincidence" does not come close to my mood. :-/

-undo: we thought excits quick nature would result in more experimenting and not in a perfectionst playstyle that requires an undo.

-thanks for the companies" typo - i will change that ASAP - as you might have guessed, english is not my native language.

-visual quality of formulas: hmm, i understand your point - but its plain wrong: they where designed to have a white outline and the antialiasing is properly fading out to transparency. but probably you tried it on a very low resolution phone and there the mip mapping might kick in and it looks awfull? is it possible for you to upload a screenshot (via ddms) or atleast a good quality photograph of your screen so i can check?

-the teleport colors are not perfect to distinguish, you are right about that. as i wrote above, the game is more intended for experimenting and i guess the first time you are new to a level you always experiment atleast a bit before starting to think more thoroughly. so you are probably a player that always likes to think (and look, instead of just try out) thoroughly upfront?

-becoming bored -> yes, i understand that. its the problem of all my game dsigns, i am a workaholic and i like the kind of hard work these games require. i dislike stupid japanese action fighting games like devil may cry (for example) because they have identical core play mechanics (over and over the same crap) but have so much stuff arround it that i get annoyed by those games. because its hard work like with my designs but you cant just do it, because all the animations and stuff going on in between stretches 60 minutes of playtime to 10 hours.

and yes, of course i doubt anybody likes to play through 90 levels of excit - i doubt its possible under 3 hours of playtime (for an experienced player) and its not ment this way.
its ment to be so simple that you can always come back, play one or two levels and be happy about it. and if youre stuck in a (to difficult) level - or you where away from the game to long - you can always try to become better in an easier level.

i like that from the game a lot, and i rarly find it in other games available anywhere (be it smartphone, flash online or AAA pc nor console games).
typically there when level become difficult and boring and you stop playing it for a few weeks or months, when you come back you lost ALL touch to the game and cant remember any details, so there is no chance at all to continue wher you left off - you just have to start from scratch.

with my games i always target to allow this kind of return.

sirleto
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2013, 01:06:02 AM »

EDIT: fixed links to images that where not working anymore, changed the thread icon to "Android"

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic