Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:32:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioMusic Challenge the Seventh -- The TIGSource Ball
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Music Challenge the Seventh -- The TIGSource Ball  (Read 15855 times)
increpare
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2008, 01:15:10 AM »

Wow, it's like idm waltz.  I love it!  More please.
idm waltz?
increpare
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2008, 01:23:36 AM »

Also.  Here's my own effort:

It's ultra low-fi enough that the respectably-compressed mp3 version is larger, so you guys can make do with a wav file Wink

Waltz: [ wav (2.9Mb) ] [ pxtone file (7.6kb) ]
C418
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2008, 07:38:40 AM »

(once again, not feeling particularly constructive).
Well then.. uh.. skip the constructive part and do something!

idm waltz?
The correct style would be Braindance Waltz. IDM is the stupid-name of braindance. Intelligent Dance Music. Bleargh
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 07:49:08 AM by C418 » Logged

increpare
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2008, 07:48:18 AM »

I can assure you the construction part was not quickly done, so you see, there WAS construction!
I think that you misunderstand me.  I meant that I wasn't able to think of anything constructive/substantial to say in response to your track (though I did enjoy it, sure), I didn't mean to insinuate anything about your process of composition/construction.

I was, indeed, going to ask you if you wouldn't mind saying something more about your track, if you were to feel so-inclined.

Edit: it seems you've changed your response now, and are asking me to do something.  Like what?

And re:IDM : right, yep, thanks.
C418
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2008, 08:04:07 AM »

Yes I did. I probably am too tired to read more than two sentences today.

HOW ABOUT

Midi music and the most basic synthesizers you can think of!
And hmm... not midi music like complex melodies. Just a random funny looping whatever! Also just do it.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 08:08:56 AM by C418 » Logged

konjak
Level 4

Bad to the bone.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2008, 08:37:33 AM »

I wish I had some decent instruments to join in...   Sad
increpare
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2008, 08:58:24 AM »

I wish I had some decent instruments to join in...   Sad
Your efforts need not be acoustic, you know?

(and, your instruments need not be decent either ... it's all good here at tigsource, right?)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 03:14:03 AM by increpare » Logged
C418
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2008, 09:41:41 AM »

Also.  Here's my own effort:

It's ultra low-fi enough that the respectably-compressed mp3 version is larger, so you guys can make do with a wav file Wink

Waltz: [ wav (2.9Mb) ] [ pxtone file (7.6kb) ]

I actually love it. Sometimes it's too random, but very often those melody strings are fuckily awesomo.

increpare
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2008, 03:13:34 AM »

I actually love it.
Thanks

Sometimes it's too random
Yeah.  It was one of those pieces where I thought carefully about each note, trying to avoid cliched progressions and make as many notes as sexy as I could.  This, given my inexperience, didn't bode well for the overall structure, but I'm still happy enough with the results.

do something
A little more conventional/boring, and I keep the form under control.
waltz3 (1MB)
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2008, 02:21:39 PM »

I said I'd enter this, and I will! I've started working on something, which I should hopefully finish by Sunday. I like everything I've heard so far. Terry, your entry makes me feel like a character in Amélie, and C418, your drum programming is superb.

In terms of what I'm doing, I'm drawing inspiration from the king of videogame waltzes, Chris Hülsbeck's 'The Great Bath', from Turrican 2.

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
Massena
Level 4

Satisfied.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2008, 09:40:11 AM »

Just for the hell of it, I sat down and messed about with my accordion this evening and came up with this, by no means serious attempt at writing a waltz:

Waltz in G

It's a pretty poor recording unfortunately - I recorded it using one of those cheap MP3 recorder things and it kinda goes in and out a bit as it goes on. Also I made loads of mistakes Tongue

Paul, listened to that EvanXMerz-Proposal-1.mp3 song, it's fecking excellent! Looking forward to hearing what you make for this thread!

Holy crap, that's amazing. I think I have nothing more to add.  Shocked

increpare
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2008, 11:48:21 AM »

Holy crap, that's amazing. I think I have nothing more to add.  Shocked
Yes you do: you have a waltz to add!

increpare
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2008, 08:56:35 AM »

Just over a day left to enter this compo.  Entries get points and points mean prizes!

Here's a third mini-waltz by me.  It took me all of five minutes to write/record, and is an entirely adequate example of a waltz.
increpare
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2008, 03:15:46 PM »

Thank's Orel.  It definitely does have a Satie-esque pace (and accompaniment Wink ) to it.  I'll up a chippy version of it in the morning.  (currently have nasty sore throat that makes writing chiptunes seem very unappealing Sad Sad Sad  ).

Paul: you're still up for starting a new compo tomorrow?
PaulMorel
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2008, 07:47:46 PM »

Yeah, I will post my entry tomorrow, and tomorrow night I will start a thread for #8.

I love the feeling of the harmonies in your piece, increpare.

my computer music blog: http://www.thisisnotalabel.com
increpare
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2008, 01:02:42 AM »

Okay.  Slightly more detailed commentary on terry (I'm going to be rather conventional in my style, to the extent that I don't fully agree with everything I'm saying).

The main theme repeats itself pretty much as soon as it's done, only in a different key.  And then again in the original key.  Like this T:T':T:T':T'':CODA.  I feel drawn to ask you if you have not considered a form more like T:T:T':T':T:T:T'':T''T:T:CODA.  Waltzes are often frightfully repetitious, so I wouldn't let a fear of repetition hold you back.  That said, my discomfort with the use of T:T' as a unit might be entirely a personal matter due to childhood trauma.  T'' was quite interesting for me, in both its harmonic novelty and stylistic compatibility with the rest of the piece.

Anyway, you know far more about that particular style for me, but I thought it better to natter on anyway.

C418, given that you were rather tired again, I would like to ask you how you went about constructing the rhythmic part of your entry, and what your considerations were when you were putting it together. 
PaulMorel
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2008, 12:01:40 PM »

Here's my entry.  I wish I had a little more time to work on it, but isn't that always the way it is?

I love the melody I wrote, but I didn't have time to fully explore it, or expand on it as much as I would have liked.  Still, I think it gets the idea across.

http://www.thisisnotalabel.com/uploads/EvanXMerz-WaltzOnTheWater.ogg

increpare
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2008, 12:29:56 PM »

Here's my entry.  I wish I had a little more time to work on it, but isn't that always the way it is?
I don't know, I'm pretty happy to abandon my works and leave them to fend for themselves as soon as they're able to walk on all-fours Wink

I love the melody I wrote, but I didn't have time to fully explore it, or expand on it as much as I would have liked.  Still, I think it gets the idea across.
What's the deal with the weird slighty muted/tremolo notes? (they sound lovely, I'm just wondering what the deal is with them: how you did them, what sort of control you had over them, &c.).

Yeah, I really liked the first brass melody.  And the synth line (once it gets going anyway...I don't know what I think about the strength of the start of it yet).

Good form, nice melodies, texturally pretty solid, and of respectable length. I'm not entirely sure how to think of the opening and closing synth-string throbbings though.

I don't quite know the melody yet (you know the way it takes you (well, me...) a couple of listenings to be able to hum back a melody of that length, or even have any feel for where it's going).

And, the piece doesn't really feel self-contained.  It sounds like a climax piece piece to me.  I'm probably stating the obvious there.  I think it might be deserving of a multi-movement (or single, 'long') treatment of about a half-hour with a more diverse range of textures, feels and contexts in which the melody arrises.  But...maybe I'm waffling here(I'm currently with a fever and borderline-delirium).  (we should do a half-hour+-long work compo here some time Wink )
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 12:46:47 PM by increpare » Logged
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2008, 03:07:51 PM »

STOP THE PRESSES!

My entry: The TIGS Ball.

Okay, I'm 5 minutes late, and I totally phoned it in. But isn't it the thought that counts?

No, it's not. In my defence, while I wanted to spend this weekend working on it (At least a little), I did in fact spend it playing Dwarf Fortress, and watching The Dark Knight.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 10:58:08 AM by Synnah » Logged

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
PaulMorel
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2008, 04:46:15 PM »

@Synnah: I like the ideas in your piece, but it ends just as soon as it gets going!  MOAR!  Wink

I don't quite know the melody yet (you know the way it takes you (well, me...) a couple of listenings to be able to hum back a melody of that length, or even have any feel for where it's going).

And, the piece doesn't really feel self-contained.

I'm glad you felt that way.  That's exactly what I was going for.  I LOVE melodies that seem to kind of float aimlessly, and that's what I was trying to play with here.

Now that I'm listening to it though, I can hear that the mix is pretty flawed.  That synth really eats the rest of the ensemble ... I'll have it fixed in a second. (EDIT: Fixed ... or at least improved)

As far as tremolo parts, I am using Garritan Personal Orchestra ( http://www.garritan.com/ ) and Varazdin Orchestral ( http://www.image-line.com/documents/varazdinorchestral.html ), but I am not using any tremolo samples.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 05:02:00 PM by PaulMorel » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic