Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 04:07:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioMusic Challenge the Seventh -- The TIGSource Ball
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Music Challenge the Seventh -- The TIGSource Ball  (Read 15880 times)
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2008, 07:47:00 AM »

@Synnah: I like the ideas in your piece, but it ends just as soon as it gets going!  MOAR!  Wink

Yes, sorry, it's completely unfinished! It went a bit like:

"GRAGH, it's midnight!"
"BLARGH, it's only one minute long!"
"RAGH, I don't have hosting so I have to stick it on my MySpace!"

I spent most of my time on it fiddling with the synth. I wanted to try and stick a key change and an intricate solo in there, and extend it to about two minutes. Alas, time constraints.

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2008, 09:39:17 AM »

Thanks, wasn't expecting that kinda reception for that waltz at all Smiley Embarrassed

Okay.  Slightly more detailed commentary on terry (I'm going to be rather conventional in my style, to the extent that I don't fully agree with everything I'm saying).

The main theme repeats itself pretty much as soon as it's done, only in a different key.  And then again in the original key.  Like this T:T':T:T':T'':CODA.  I feel drawn to ask you if you have not considered a form more like T:T:T':T':T:T:T'':T''T:T:CODA.  Waltzes are often frightfully repetitious, so I wouldn't let a fear of repetition hold you back.  That said, my discomfort with the use of T:T' as a unit might be entirely a personal matter due to childhood trauma.  T'' was quite interesting for me, in both its harmonic novelty and stylistic compatibility with the rest of the piece.

I'll be honest - not having studied any music theory, I don't really know what you're talking about. Sad But I'd like to know! If I type up the notes could you show me what you mean by that structure?

increpare
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2008, 09:43:13 AM »

I'll be honest - not having studied any music theory, I don't really know what you're talking about. Sad But I'd like to know! If I type up the notes
No need for that.  I'll write up something more detailed as soon as time allowed.  (Might even start straight away)
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2008, 09:49:25 AM »

Actually, I've got it written out on paper, so I've just scanned it in (though the timing is a bit off here):

Thanks Smiley

increpare
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2008, 10:45:45 AM »

(ignore my previous comments on the form)

Okay.  So according to how you've drawn it you have it in four chunks, consisting of two parts each repeated, so it looks like AABB (where A and B represent the two different 18-bar phrases).  As I was listening to it originally, I was listening to your 18-bar phrases as being two 9-bar phrases, the the piece to me sounded like ABABCDCD (A,B,C,D).  Now, my initial reactions to wonder if doing something more like AABBAACDCDAA mightn't work.  Or at least be worth considering, if you hadn't already.

Hmm.  Having, with the aid of your score, listened to this, I'm not entirely convinced by it myself.  Ah well: I've written this now, would be a shame to waste it, eh?  Wink
increpare
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2008, 12:29:00 PM »

Okay, I'm 5 minutes late, and I totally phoned it in. But isn't it the thought that counts?
No, you're late.  If you're late, you don't get any points.  NO POINTS FOR YOU.

That out of the way. Gosh.  More, yep.  More.  Too short.  TOO SHOOOORT.  I know you had reasons.    I think you could stretch out the opening a little bit more.  Especially when the main melody synth comes in, you could have it, when it first appears, to not play repeated notes (I don't know if it's a reverb or echo_effect or what, but maybe for the first time you hear it it might, possibly sound more effective if it were a little pared down).  It needs a middle also.  And more of an end.  The melody certainly has potential.
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2008, 05:37:19 AM »

No, you're late.  If you're late, you don't get any points.  NO POINTS FOR YOU.

Dammit, and I was only in it for the POINTS!

Thanks for your comments, anyway. Yeah, the whole thing's kind of rushed. I'd have liked to have fleshed out the build up a little more, and add more to it (There's not nearly enough percussive stuff happening near the start). Also, I wanted to do a lot more with the main melody. Key changes are something I have trouble pulling off well, but with a little extra time I'd have liked to change a couple of times, and change the mood of the melody with each change. There's a slight delay on the synth, and it does sound a bit better without it. I think it's more the fact that the clarinet and violins also have reverb on them, that makes it sound a bit muddy.

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
C418
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2008, 02:39:23 AM »

C418, given that you were rather tired again, I would like to ask you how you went about constructing the rhythmic part of your entry, and what your considerations were when you were putting it together. 
Smiley

The "rhytmic part" looks like this:

Sooo...
everything was hand-edited. This gives me much more control of the holy-shit-what beats than using a midi-drum-rack-thing. So yea, it's pretty insane. And my considerations? They were kinda like "aw fuck it."

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic