Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411411 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 15, 2024, 09:30:49 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingEaster Avenger
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Easter Avenger  (Read 4610 times)
Josepho
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 04, 2007, 06:23:49 PM »

Hi, I talked about my game in a incorrect place sometime ago, sorry, im a newbie here hehe, anyway, i want to show you my last creation, Easter Avenger.

The game is complete, and completly free, its about an easter egg called Pascual that wants to avenge his father death that has been killed by the temible eastere rabbit, king of the easter country. You will start a campaign against the easter rabbit army using 5 different weapons and the mysterious easter powers that will give to Pascual some special habilities

Special features:
-> All graphics and musics had been made specially for the game
-> 3 zones with 13 levels
-> Bosses !
-> 5 different weapons
-> 4 different powers

Screenshots
---------

Game Trailer (spoiler warning) lol:

Game Download link: http://www.gamenace.com/questtracers/downloads/EasterAvenger.zip

Please, let me know what you think about the game!
And i hope you enjoy it.

Aah, my website is http://www.questtracers.com
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 06:30:14 PM by Josepho » Logged

-------------
Questtracers - Indie flash games!
http://www.questtracers.com/
Javilop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 06:28:47 PM »

I have already played your game. The first thing I liked were the graphics. They are quite cool.

The first time I played I get a bit angry about the difficulty, it's a bit tricky at the beginning to survive. But after getting use with the controls I really started to like it more and more. And yep, finally I think the game play is quite addictive.

I will play it again, I will try to finish it this time.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 07:37:34 PM »

He does not jump nearly high enough. Not to me at least. I agree with Loover, at first it seemed kinda easy, but then after a second there were little things that made me die and go WTF? Like when you smack an enemy and it lands on you...? Yeah, that is really annoying. Maybe make it bump you back a bit, but once you hit an enemy and it's pretty much dead, it shouldn't still be able to kill you.

Other than the jumping and whatnot, though, yes, this is very fun.

handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 07:49:55 PM »

Very nice game. Awesome graphics, smooth gameplay, and great music. The only thing I thought that would make this better would be to add a penalty for death besides starting from the last checkpoint. I think that giving the player a certain amount of lives to complete the level will give the player a reason to not die.

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 07:11:01 AM »

Hello there!

Here are a few comments about the game...

The bad:

Ok, the first thing that bugged me was the rather weird input method. During the cinematics, I'm asked to press a key to continue reading. I naturally let got of the mouse and press "enter" hinking that the game's primary input will be the keyboard. The game starts so I put my right hand on the keyboard arrows. I move and it works, but then, I try to attack but can't. I press all the possible buttons, can't find how to attack. I was about to gave up, took the mouse in my hand and moved the cursor to the top window to realize that the mouse had an input. I click and I can hit! You control should be either explain before you start playing OR make sure people will use common keyboard input. The control as it is is fantastic for a left handed but is wonky for a right handed. I say put an option to be able to use the W-A-S-D keys to move around you're character. Or make both available and the player will be able to switch to its liking without having to go in a menu.

Ok, now I know how to interact with the game correctly. I restrat the game completly. An evil egg is going my way and this time, I can hit it! Well, almost. There's a long delay before my avatar performs the task I asked it to do, which causes frustration. When I use an ability in a game, it has to be done right now. This is especialy true in action games like yours. When I click, I want that stick in the others face, not behind me swinging.

Now, I finaly timed my attack right and landed it on the egg. The other egg explodes and I get destroyed because of this. There are three things wrong with this.

-First, there are no rewards in using the attack ability. You're giving me a reward (killing the monster) and then you give me a nasty penalty from it (killing me). The penalty is too harsh compared to the reward so I might as well just walk under the bouncing egg. Less dangerous and it's faster this way.

-The second thing is that the hitting of an egge is inconsistant: the enemy egg never reacts the same when its striked. Sometimes it bounces very far, other times it just falls next to my avatar, and all of those things happenning without me controlling why. If I could I would only make the eggs go pretty far away but I can't figure out how I could do that. Now, if you want to give us a choice in terms of power of attack, give the control to us. Make the attack stronger if we hold the mouse button down. You could make very quick hits(a click) only crack the enemy and a long held attack shatter the enemy. You could make it as some enemies are too fragile so you can't hit them too hard or they'll destroy you, like what you're doing right now. The player will have to find the right amount of power to achieve it's goal. Then you can have a wide variety of enemies that require different types of attack on it.

-Third, I feel like we are too fragile compared to the enemy egg. I mean logically speaking, if it takes a swing of a bat to destroy an egg, a small piece of a shell with low velocity should not completly destroy me. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but perhaps you should put something in the egg. When you kill it, the shell go every where and some "bullets" or "rocks" or whatever you want, could be candy, explode in every direction, damaging my avatar. An egg, although very fragile, can take an small amount of beating before it's destroyed completly.

Ok let's move on. So , I can move, I can atttack and nowm I have to jump... The jumping controls are ok, but the gaps are way too difficulty at first. Give us room to safely land. A good idea would also to make the first gaps non-lethal. If you miss it, you can climb back to where you jumped so you can try it again. Also, make your gaps at a reasonable height. Don't be too pixel-precise when you deisgn your jumping challenges. I say that one pixel precise jump is acceptable near the end of the game but that's it. The rest of the time, give us room and a safe landing. Of course, as the difficulty increases, give us less time after our landing before an enemy attacks us. 

Always make sure you give the reward before you give a powerup to your reward or gives us a insight of what's going to be rewarded. In the second part of the easter forest you get chocolate bar rewards. Well, at first I was thinking "that's weird, I thought chocoloate was the worst thing in this world according to the cinematics". I picked up the bars and nothing happened. No feedback whatsoever except the fact that I picked it up (or destroyed it, I'm not sure they disapeared). Eventually, I got a gun and I found out that the bars were actually ammo. You have to tell me what I'm picking up, wheter it's good or bad. Take doom for instance. You culd pickup shotgun rounds before getting the shotgun. The game told you about what you picked up, telling you that shotguns existed and were possible rewards if you looked closely.

Now, on to the enemies. I felt like they were too generic. Instead of having swarms of bouncing eggs always spawning from god knows where, you should have less enemies and place them more precisly. I don't feel like I have accomplished something when the same enemy comes bouncing back after a second.

Also, you should place the gun in a position where we see it clearly. It blends too much in the tree artwork where we pick it up. It would be clearer if it was in fornt of the sky backdrop.

The good
 On the plus side, the artwork is very nice. The colors are vibrant and very cartoony, which helps to the theme of the game.

I like how the easter bunny isportrayed as an evil character. Original.

The music also support the theme of the game. It's got a cartoony, catchy beat that fits the game like a glove.

The screenshots tell us that the game seems to have a lot of variety. I haven't experienced it but it's nice to know that there's more in the game then in the first levels.

All and all, I played and quit before reaching the end of the second level. I got too frustrated from all the things I said before. I enjoyed it but the bad things spoiled my fun...

Hope you work on this game, it looks quite promising!  Or maybe a sequel?
Take care!
Guert

Josepho
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2007, 08:07:39 AM »

The jumping was a very difficult chose, but i think that its the best for the kind of game that i made, but you have to watch the next levels for watching it, i recomend you to watch the game trailer to see how is the evolution of the game Grin

Well, the ASDW keys are enabled, you should try it, game instructions are in the txt file but yes, you are rigth when you say that i should explain that on the game too

I think that the difficult its not too high, problem is the aim that is not a very popular one so people doesnt control it very well at first, thats the cause of the unlimited lives, and i wanted that the game was a challenge because its not too long

When you use the bat with an enemy it depends of how near of you is for the speed in which this is bated, and the direction between us for the direction in wich flies.

Nice point that one of the rewards, i didnt think about it when i did the game. If i made a sequel i will keep that in mind  Smiley

Thanks for your posts!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 08:14:30 AM by Josepho » Logged

-------------
Questtracers - Indie flash games!
http://www.questtracers.com/
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 06:01:46 PM »

I'm gonna watch the trailer, I'm curious to see the 2nd screenshot in action.

AWSD works? Me bad! Just forget that I said that it doesn't... Wink

Keep us noticed of further iterations!
Guert

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic