Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 05:39:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsIllusive Dreams
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Illusive Dreams  (Read 8048 times)
BlackBulletIV
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2011, 03:20:49 AM »

Today I created level 14, and re-used the old level 12 for level 15 (it may not stay there, but we'll see). I started on chapter two, by creating level 16.

Also, since YouTube has now enabled me to upload videos of over 15 minutes (which I'm pretty happy about), I've uploaded

and

of me making level 11.

BlackBulletIV
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2011, 03:08:38 AM »

Today I created levels 17 and 20, and re-used three shelved levels for 18, 19, and 21; quite a good day indeed.

A new test build should be released soon, probably tomorrow.

BlackBulletIV
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2011, 09:13:35 PM »

I've just released the third test build for the game. Other than all the other changes I've already mentioned, I've re-used an old shelved level for level 22.

negativeview
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2011, 11:54:01 PM »

Did you tweak the jump height? Now it feels like it's much smaller than it was. I tried to finish your new levels to have the best possible feedback but... I failed. As the levels got harder, it felt less and less like the failure was my fault and more and more like the levels were just encouraging me to spam lives at them. Really you probably need a better-suited tester than me, but I didn't want to fail to test it since I was the only person that commented last round.

Also, I managed to get out of the level Mario World-Select style several times. Never did it give me anything cool. I was disappointed.

BlackBulletIV
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2011, 02:02:32 AM »

Nope, I haven't tweaked the jump height.

Well, it is inspired by Super Meat Boy quite a bit, so yeah. I will say however, that the last level in the build is definitely too hard for its place.

I'm not quite sure what you're saying about the chapter selection; I'm guessing you don't like it?

Also, don't worry, I have other people testing it from Twitter and the like.

PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2011, 04:57:37 AM »

The music is AMAZING! I wanted to play just to listen to the music.
However, the game is way too dark, at least after the tutorial. I can't play it this way. It strains my eyes.
Also, I think the story isn't clear or doesn't convey to well from the gameplay and cutscenes. I wasn't sure what exactly happened. I think it's an interesting idea but seems a bit bland without properly telling it. My humble opinion since I am not really a writer.

Master of all trades.
negativeview
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2011, 06:20:22 AM »

I didn't mean your level selector, sorry, let me explain. In Super Mario Brothers for the NES there was a few places where you could get "on top of" the level. You were walking on the very top block, off screen. This let you skip large parts of the level or, in at least on place, go to a special area where you got to skip entire levels by going through warp pipes.

I got on top of your levels various times. Every time it was just a dead end, not a hidden secret. It's my opinion that you should either put secrets there, or make it where you can't get out of the level. I thought I had found a secret every time, and was disappointed when it was just a dead end. Unless it IS a secret and I just didn't get past the first challenge to get there...

BlackBulletIV
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2011, 08:45:36 PM »

PompiPompi:

Glad to hear it. Smiley

Really? It could be because you have a much darker screen than I do. I don't really want to make it brighter as that would make it even less realistic than it already is. Night in other games seems to be as dark or even darker than it is here. Also, take note that you don't only play in the dark, you play in the light sometimes too.

How do you think it could be better conveyed? Text in-game maybe? Also, you won't really know what happens until later levels, it's revealed slowly.

negativeview:

Oh I see. I think I might know a way to get around Ogmo Editor so I can make that happen. Thanks.

PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2011, 11:10:32 PM »

I am not sure, maybe choose a different pallete for when it's dark? Like, more blue colors?
A dark game, even if it's only part of the game, can be a game killer. Maybe for some it will be ok, but for many others it won't.
Also, you can make it so it's brighter around the character and gets darker further away, I can live with that. Smiley
Maybe others should advise as well though.

Master of all trades.
BlackBulletIV
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2011, 12:03:28 PM »

Well I've experimented with making the foreground a lot and it seems to actually work alright, as long as the background is still dark the atmosphere is maintained for the most part. I'll experiment around and see what I can do.

BlackBulletIV
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2011, 03:13:24 AM »

I've been working on getting in-game text, in place of cutscenes, working. I've just got a bit more of it to do and it should be complete.

Slather
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2011, 01:28:18 PM »

Just played it, and I think its great so far!  I had to stop when i got the yellow crystal because the screen just showed a white-gray circle gradient, but the music continued, and i could here the footsteps when i moved.  I assume that image was meant to be blended with the screen, but failed to blend.

The only suggestion I'd have is about the floor spike/poles, but you can ignore it safely.  I kept getting killed on the first one of each grouping because my natural tendency is to get a running start for maximum distance and then jump over, but the first pole goes full-height and killed me. I found that i needed to jump up and then hold over to pass, but it feels unnatural ( I was still getting comfortable with the sensitivity of the controls).  My small suggestion would be to have half-height spike-poles too, and maybe start with them and then add longer ones. Or have a shorter one for the first pole.

Keep it up!
BlackBulletIV
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2011, 01:24:22 AM »

Argh, you're yet another person with that issue. I can't reproduce it my Mac, but after some testing on a much slower one I think I might be closer to figuring it out. A few questions:

1. Was is the first yellow crystal you came across?
2. Did it start flashing then go to the white screen, or just immediately go to the white screen?
3. What level was it on? From your description I'm guessing 8.
4. Is your framerate below 60 (you can open up the console by pressing Q; it'll show you the FPS)? If so, what is it on average?

If you could answer those that'd be great, as you've given me the most detailed description of this bug so far.

As for your idea about the pikes (that's their official name), that might work well. I'll get some more feedback on that idea. And yeah, in this game you reach max speed in, at most, 7 or 8 pixels.

Thanks again for your feedback!

negativeview
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2011, 10:01:52 PM »

I did not get the blending bug. If you need another non-bugged mac person to give any relevant info, I can do it.

BlackBulletIV
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2011, 03:01:45 AM »

In the past few days I've completed the implementation of in-game text, made a new level 22, and levels 23-26.

BlackBulletIV
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2011, 12:45:52 AM »

Today I made level 27. I think I might wait until chapter two is done before I release the fourth test build (which means 3 more levels, since there are 15 levels per chapter).

BlackBulletIV
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2011, 02:05:09 AM »

Well after a few days of procrastination and working on a test game before Ludum Dare 22, today I made levels 28 and 29.

BlackBulletIV
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2011, 03:10:07 AM »

I've reused a level for level 30, and completed the in-game text for chapter two. I'm starting to feel a bit more positive of this project.

Anyway, the fourth test build should be released tomorrow.

BlackBulletIV
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2011, 06:09:20 PM »

I've released the fourth test build. More info on the page.

stef1a
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2011, 06:48:18 PM »

Just dropping by to say that this looks great. The simple pixel-art style is super cool, and I like the particle effects. My only criticisms are that the jumping feels a bit tense and that the player blends in with the background and scenery too much, but other than that, great job.  Wink

Also, for some weird reason, the sound effects are out of sync with my keyboard input.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic