Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 04:21:19 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsStation 6
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Station 6  (Read 956 times)
supermaximo93
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: November 08, 2011, 12:40:30 PM »

Hi, welcome to my devlog for my game, Station 6!

Station 6 is a puzzle platformer which is set on an abandoned space station. You and your colleagues land on the station in search of fuel for your spaceship, but you get separated. Your mission is to escape from the space station.

The concept of the puzzles in the game is that you need to wire up the machines on the station to succeed. Here's a quick example to illustrate: There's a button, a door that you need to open, and a crate. Wire the button up to the door, push the crate onto the button, and the door opens. To illustrate even further, here's a comic strip from Ben, the artist and musician who I'm developing the game with:

Now take this concept and add lasers, pistons, moving floors, aliens, gun turrets, bosses, etc. The game is Metroidvania inspired, so there's a lot of emphasis on exploration and wiring up machinery in different ways will open up various areas to explore.

This is what we want the game to look like. We're aiming for a cartoony, completely hand drawn style.

Here's the latest, and probably final, astronaut design:

And here's a concept for a boss. It'll probably end up being the first one you meet.

The engine is nearly complete. I'm using C++, with OpenGL for graphics and SDL for input, sound, etc. The current priority is getting sprites in game so that we can properly start getting an idea for the feel of the game. As you all well know, staring at coloured rectangles isn't particularly inspiring.

Thanks for looking! I've got a blog on my website, but I personally think it's a bit rude to just say, "Go to my site!" or just copy and paste from it. I update the site weekly, but I'm going to post updates here as they happen. Plus its hard to have a good discussion on a comment area at the bottom of some blog post. We'd really appreciate any comments, questions, suggestions, etc.
QOG
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 02:37:13 PM »

This sounds/looks cool.
That is all.  Ninja
sabajt
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 04:14:04 PM »

This sounds/looks cool.
That is all.  Ninja