Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411497 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 07:15:18 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralYour favorite shmup moments
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Your favorite shmup moments  (Read 7629 times)
torncanvas
Level 0

Go Team Venture!

View Profile WWW
« on: May 05, 2007, 10:06:59 AM »

It'd be great to hear everyone's favorite moments while playing shmups.  Do you have a favorite level in a particular game or favorite boss?  Or just any sort of favorite experience with shmups would be great.

I need some inspiration... Smiley

P.S.  Those that don't like shmups can chime in with shmup stereotypes or something.

Intuition Games
@torncanvas on twitter
AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 10:48:35 AM »

Ikaruga Level 3, the wall/chase section: these walls shoot out from the sides of the level, making these tiny passages you have to fly through - memorization only gets you so far too, they move so fast that you still need a lot of reflexes to it.  I was yelling by the time I finished that segment the first time I played it.

Sin & Punishment, level I think 5 and 6: you are standing on a piece of rubble that is soaring through the sky, while you engage helicopters, boats, mecha, and aircraft carriers from your platform, and upon defeating a squadron of fighter jets proceed to take on an entire um basically armed space station...SO epic!

Ikaruga, Level 1 Boss, 2 players: you can do this in other sections as well, but one player can shield the other if you move completely in tandem, and you can do INSANE damage, god its good!

That's all that comes to mind, i'm eager to see everyone else's!

EDIT - Almost forgot, Corneria (level 1) in both StarFox and StarFox 64.  Just love the whole level - especially in 64 when you come out of the city over sea, and you are barrel rolling  through those little archways, so cool!

AND Silpheed: Lost Planet, which is a mostly mediocre shmup, has this great level that starts with almost a full minute of ZERO combat - as the story goes, you were going to defend this city, but as you come down through the clouds, there is nothign but destroyed buildings, fire, and rubble.  And that first minute of the level is nothing but radio chatter between the other pilots and your officers trying to figure out what happened...when you come up on the remnants of the alien invaders.  Great stuff!!  I'd like to see more pacing and atmosphere like that in shmups.

Oh and the first level of R-Type III has some really great parts pretty much throughout - the space trash, the spinning sections, the robot who smashes into the structure, i love basically that whole segment.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 10:52:26 AM by AdamAtomic » Logged

cup full of magic charisma
torncanvas
Level 0

Go Team Venture!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 11:34:17 AM »

...especially in 64 when you come out of the city over sea, and you are barrel rolling  through those little archways, so cool!

Do a barrel roll!

Intuition Games
@torncanvas on twitter
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2007, 12:45:31 PM »

R-type level 3
Steel empire (for megadrive) the huge air battle at the end and then going to the moon
Gynoug the whole game

« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 03:32:30 PM by moi » Logged

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2007, 03:50:29 PM »

Gokujō Parodius - The whole fucking game. Same for Sexy Parodius

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2007, 07:17:28 PM »

Starfox and Starfox 64: Getting through all the warp gates. I dunno but, to me, that is like, hard to near impossible. Maybe I'm just unskilled, though.

siiseli
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2007, 11:56:18 PM »

the moment I got trough korea for the first time in clean asia Tongue
shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2007, 09:55:27 AM »

the moment I got trough korea for the first time in clean asia Tongue

Seconded! It's just a shame I've never been able to repeat that (to me) incredible feat. Wink

olücæbelel
CosMind
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2007, 08:16:18 PM »

rocking through the massive space battle in earth's orbit - layer section on yon sega saturn (aka galactic attack or rayforce, depending on your region).

the game is actually one of the most overlooked shmupping gems i can think of.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~bevhome/rayforcerev.htm

----

every single moment of radiant silvergun

----

oh, man, the crystal stage of gradius gaiden with the laser shot rocking (refraction! holy moses!).  not to mention the entirety of the rest of the game.  tis my vote for greatest gradius in the entire series.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 08:35:44 PM by CosMind » Logged
Anthony Flack
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2007, 08:26:54 PM »

Yeah, I got my copy of Layer Section for equiv. $1.

As for my favourite shmup moments - many, many parts of Radiant Silvergun. Which was considerably more expensive than Layer Section... but it really does have a remarkably large number of great moments.

Also, the asteroid level in Gradius V. First time I played that, I just couldn't believe it. Rock hell.

Currently in development: Cletus Clay
Albert Lai
TIGSource Editor
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 11:55:15 AM »

I loved the moments in Ikaruga where you're sort of chilling along, and then lasers start shooting out from the unlikeliest places. Chapter 3 and Chapter 4 boss fights come to mind. Damn...rings!

I also liked the Raiden series, and always waste a couple bucks whenever I see one - there is something viscerally appealing about the plethora of power-ups that those games throw at you - probably one of the reasons I liked Excellent Bifurcation.
Shinji16
Level 0

That stupid Bemani kid...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2007, 11:27:49 AM »

Re: Rayforce...
the game is actually one of the most overlooked shmupping gems i can think of.

Amen to that. That game has great moments.

How about in Donpachi (or any shmup with laps) when the game loops, and you realize "Oh God, that final boss, though being the real final boss, isn't the end?!"

Or in Espgaluda when you see the boss recharge his health off your super for the first time?

Also, the first level of Einheinder sticks out in my memory. That game had good presentation.

Smile - life is good!
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2007, 01:27:55 PM »

when there's a lot of bullets.
and you have to avoid them!

CosMind
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2007, 08:19:23 AM »

...Einheinder sticks out in my memory. That game had good presentation.

mmmmm, for surely.  and one heck of a soundtrack, too  Kiss ( <--- they make one of those with hearts for ears?)
sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2007, 01:45:13 AM »

The transformation of the boss of the nose picking boss battle in WarioWare: Twisted into its final form.

Does that even count as a shmup? Probably not...
the2bears
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2007, 04:12:04 PM »

R-type level 3

Amen Smiley  I'm a big fan of the 3rd Level is a Battleship theme.  Trizeal and Mushihimesama are other, recent examples.

Bill

the2bears  - the indie shmup blog
Shabadage
TIGSource Editor
Level 0

TIGSource Oil Worker

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2007, 09:49:15 AM »

G-Type has a pretty damned good clone of that level as well.
Blueskied
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2007, 09:15:14 AM »

I like to use the windscreen wiper of fire (extra weapon) in Gemini Wing.
Beginning at 1:10

It's a great game, lots of variation in the levels and fine music.

Karl, Blueskied Games - Gratis Spiele (my german site)
ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2007, 08:17:52 AM »

Zanac for the NES converted me to shmups. But, in a way, it is an anti-shmup: the deployment of enemies became more aggressive in response to my aggressive behavior. Fast-paced, real-time strategy was required to advance through the levels. I had to choose which ships I would have to dodge and which I would have to destroy to keep the levels from becoming too insanely difficult. Not only did it encourage refraining against unnecessary killing, but it also proved a more unique dodging challenge than today's "bullet hell" games, since it required not only avoiding the various fire types and patterns of different craft but also their full flight patterns (both predetermined and suicidal/semi-homing).

Guardian Legend for the NES is part shmup and part action-RPG (overhead shooting action). It is like combining peanut butter with chocolate or combining the Legend of Zelda with Blazing Lazers. Additionally, unlike many shmups, GL required a management of one's firepower, since most of the ship's special firepowers had a limited amount of ammo. Best of all, GL's main character was a woman who transformed into a spaceship.

Combining the right genres is awesome. If I could have played the battles in Master of Orion as a scrolling shmup, I wouldn't have had to have resulted to using fleets of cheap, small ships with neutron pellet guns or death rays to take over the galaxy when one customized, powered up, self-controlled fighter could have done the job.

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2007, 04:31:05 PM »

Anyone heard of Recca?

Haven't played it myself, but the idea of a NES bullet hell shmup sounds intriguing.    I'll have to find a rom...
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic