Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 12:32:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMy Dark Delusion
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: My Dark Delusion  (Read 3948 times)
Noel Berry
Level 4

Yarr!

View Profile WWW
« on: November 13, 2011, 11:46:14 AM »

more pictures

MY DARK DELUSION
An exploration-based top-down shooter taking place within the mind of a mentally unstable man, as he tries to find reasoning behind the strange and unfriendly world he has built around himself. Horrible creatures pull themselves from the shadows and destroy what little sanity he has left.

about
I feel that the game is far enough along that I can actually start posting about my progress on a daily basis. The engine is complete, and I'm now ready to start filling up the world with content and features.

My Dark Delusion is an abstract, distorted top-down shooter that takes place within the mind of a mentally unstable patient in a hospital. As the game progresses he (or she?) faces strange, deadly creatures that threaten to destroy his sense of reality. The game plays out a little like a metroid game, where as the player progresses they gain different weapons and abilities to unlock new areas and allow the player to explore further. Currently, as you can see from the above screenshots, the game looks very cold and unfriendly. I'd like to keep this sort of vibe going, but at the same time I'd like to slowly start adding more "scenery" in to make the game feel a little less empty.

Different powers can be unlocked as the game progresses, which allow you to access new areas (like Metroid). However, these stronger powers use up your sanity, and sanity can be regained by staying in well-lit areas for a long enough time. As your sanity drains, the world becomes darker and things begin to shift and change.

The game also takes some inspiration from The Binding of Isaac and Hero Core.

the team
Noel Berry - Design, Programming, Art
Liam Berry - Music, Sounds

other
Programming:   AS3
Tools:Flash Develop 4.0, Ogmo Editor, Photoshop CS5

updates
(1) November 23 - Patient Enemy, (2) November 29 - Events and Triggers

I'll also be posting updates on the game on my site and twitter.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 02:29:10 PM by Noel Berry » Logged

JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 11:56:24 AM »

cool! glad to see this finally has a devlog Smiley

BlackBulletIV
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 12:41:12 PM »

Sounds (and looks) pretty awesome. The concept reminds me of Lone Survivor (I think that's the title).

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 02:40:19 PM »

This is an absolutely gorgeous style. I love how slick it all is.
Noel Berry
Level 4

Yarr!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 03:29:39 PM »

Thanks guys! I appreciate the feedback Grin

So, I've been pretty busy with school and life the last week or so and haven't been able to make much progress on the game until today, however I've done some new stuff...

November 23 - Update 1 - Patient Enemy
Today I started creating a new enemy, which is probably going to be the default/most basic enemy in the game. He's currently called "Patient" and there will be a few variations of him throughout the game. He's a lot easier than the ghost/spirit like enemy you currently see in the game (picture of them at the bottom of the post)

I've also worked on the spirit enemies a bunch more now, and they're fully functional. It's pretty cool to see in motion, and I'm hoping I'll be able to make some kind of gameplay video in the next week or so.

The plan for tomorrow is to finish up the Patient enemy. Smiley
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 02:27:40 PM by Noel Berry » Logged

jack_dracon
Level 0

Huurayyy!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 04:49:10 PM »

Hey, congrats! Looks awesome, very awesome!
To me it's look pretty much with Closure (in gradient style) and Monaco is Mine (pixel art, I guess).
Congratulations, Berry brothers.
Good lucky!? =D

Hummm...
Majestic
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 07:19:15 PM »

sounds good, I like the sanity concept..it's innovative. Let me know if you are looking for music for your game

www.soundcloud.com/majestic8390 - My game music portfolio
For custom game music tailored for your project contact me majestic8390[at]gmail[dot]com
AaronLee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 09:02:30 PM »

Loving the general concept and minimal design. You already have a nice core judging by the screenshots, with dreary lighting and the shadow-themed enemies.

Any plans to invoke some specific phobias and disorders? Maybe make enemies/environments from a certain phobia 'group' grow in scope and power the more the player runs from them?

That would be pretty hard to implement but maybe it could insipre something else equally cool.

verticalvertex
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 12:29:38 AM »

The minions look scary.

It's all good.
Noel Berry
Level 4

Yarr!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2011, 10:28:10 AM »

Thanks for the feedback guys!

@AaronLee Thanks man. So, you're thinking that there are different disorders that come into play the more the player interacts with them? This sounds like a pretty cool concept to me, though I'm not exactly sure how I'd get it to work well in the game. I really like the general direction that you're going with that though, and it totally fits the general scenario of the game.
I think I'll try messing around with this idea for a bit and see if I can come up with something that'll work well. Smiley If you have any further thoughts on the idea I'd love to hear 'em.

@Majestic thanks for the offer. I'll see how the music stuff comes together and I'll send you a message if I need some help. Currently though, I think my brother (Liam) will be able to handle the music/sounds.

@jack_dracon yeah, now that you mention it, it does have a similar vibe to stuff like Monaco and Closure. I think in-motion it sets itself apart, but you're totally right, it does have some cool similarities.

Cheers guys. Gonna be posting another update later tonight.

Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2011, 01:55:11 PM »

The game looks very atmospheric Smiley I especially like the simple design of enemies.

jack_dracon
Level 0

Huurayyy!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2011, 04:58:23 PM »

Do you have some concept/idea for the enemies or other kind of attractive system interaction (puzzle, adventure, action, etc) for this game?
Cheers!

Hummm...
Noel Berry
Level 4

Yarr!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2011, 10:13:13 AM »

@jack_dracon: I have some ideas for the enemies, but I really need to expand upon them and figure out exactly how they're all going to work out. I think the idea that Aaron had above is pretty cool, and I'd like to try to expand the enemies into something similar to what he suggested.

In terms of puzzles/other stuff, there will be a bit of this, but the majority of the game will be manoeuvring around the unfriendly creatures. (random note: is that really how you spell "manoeuvring"? Crazy ). Different powers you get (as seen in some screenshots) will allow you to interact with things a bit.

@Tumetsu Thanks man!

I've been busier than expected again, so haven't had time to wrap up the new enemy yet (the Patient dude from my first update). Will have him done shortly, and then I'm going to be brainstorming a bunch of enemies and how they interact. Also going to start working on some level editor stuff (such as creating a way to call triggers that will set off different events, so I can have scenes/text/etc appear as you move through the world)

jack_dracon
Level 0

Huurayyy!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 05:24:43 AM »

@jack_dracon: I have some ideas for the enemies, but I really need to expand upon them and figure out exactly how they're all going to work out. I think the idea that Aaron had above is pretty cool, and I'd like to try to expand the enemies into something similar to what he suggested.

In terms of puzzles/other stuff, there will be a bit of this, but the majority of the game will be manoeuvring around the unfriendly creatures. (random note: is that really how you spell "manoeuvring"? Crazy ). Different powers you get (as seen in some screenshots) will allow you to interact with things a bit.
Hey, nice news?!
Man, in the first time when I read about your game, I was really thinking in bugs. With shadows and unfriendly space, I really think a group of bugs enemys is a pretty nice concept for your game, I guess.
Was a simple idea, may be this  help you with others ideas(a big boss made with bugs) for your game.
Good lucky and congratulations!

Hummm...
Noel Berry
Level 4

Yarr!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2011, 02:24:02 PM »

November 29 - Update 2 - Events and Triggers
I haven't been able to get as much work done on the game as I would have liked (again), but I'm slowly progressing with stuff. The primary thing I've been building is a Trigger/Event system, so that when the player walks in an area, or shoots something, etc, different events can be called. An example event would be walking into a new area and having a message appear, which is the primary event I have working right now.

The screenshot below shows one message fading out as a new one is just triggered.

I'm getting pretty excited about the little messages. These will be placed throughout most of the game, and I think they're going to add a ton of atmosphere.

Along with message events, I can now easily create other types of events, like enemies being spawned or cutscenes, etc. Smiley

I've also started working on the "world map", but I'm not ready to share it yet. Hoping by tomorrow I'll have something cool to show that will further explain my plans for the world, and the game in general.

---

Man, in the first time when I read about your game, I was really thinking in bugs. With shadows and unfriendly space, I really think a group of bugs enemys is a pretty nice concept for your game, I guess.
Was a simple idea, may be this  help you with others ideas(a big boss made with bugs) for your game.

Cool, yeah. Some kind of bug-like or swarm-like enemy would be pretty cool. I'll definitely consider that when I figure out what enemies I need to add.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 02:35:29 PM by Noel Berry » Logged

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2011, 04:00:07 PM »

(unpleasant)
Noel Berry
Level 4

Yarr!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2011, 04:52:57 PM »

Whoa, my bad. Thanks for pointing it out, haha!  Wink

jack_dracon
Level 0

Huurayyy!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2011, 05:17:01 PM »

Awesome work. Wink
You are doing a great job.
Congratulations!
And I am glad to you accepted my suggestion for bugs. :D
Cheers!

Hummm...
Ashkin
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2011, 05:30:15 PM »

This looks nice and moody.
(P.S. I love you Noel)
(Mostly because you're the reason my current project exists)
Noel Berry
Level 4

Yarr!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2011, 08:34:00 PM »

Thanks man! Also, glad my procedurally generated stuff came in handy for someone and you're making use of it Smiley (I assume that's what I helped you out with, based off the look of your game?)

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic