Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:47:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeTIGsource Advent Calendar
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: TIGsource Advent Calendar  (Read 42239 times)
ink.inc
« Reply #100 on: November 17, 2011, 03:48:47 PM »

Not what I signed up for.
:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: November 17, 2011, 03:51:49 PM »

Exactly. Don't be changing crap up.

Just do what the man told you to do! Angry

Do it now! Angry
Do it pretty! Angry
Do it for glory! Angry
DOOH EET FUUUR SPARTAAAAAA! Angry
dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 17, 2011, 04:00:27 PM »

Yeah, it seems like we'll probably be lucky if we get every day done even with so many people willing to be extras.

Although  maybe the fear of ruining christmas will spur people to greater action then usual.
Bishop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 17, 2011, 04:15:44 PM »

May I have a day between the 12th and the 18th? I'll let you choose which.
Ashkin
« Reply #104 on: November 17, 2011, 04:40:42 PM »

Somebody go on the eighth so that when I fail horribly there will be a better game to play Beg
Theophilus
« Reply #105 on: November 17, 2011, 04:54:43 PM »

I rolled a die. 1 being the 12th and 6 being the 17th. Then, I flipped a coin. Heads and I added a day, tails and I didn't. I rolled a 3 and flipped a heads, so your day is the 16th, with eigenbom.

Somebody go on the eighth so that when I fail horribly there will be a better game to play Beg

It's really not that hard... I can even tell you how to do it.

-Take a few days in advance to prepare your idea. This involves keeping the scope of the project in check too. Plan to the very second of what you should be doing. Also plan some unused hours for food, bathroom, breaks, and bug-fixing/excess coding time.

-On the 8th, prepare to start. This involves eating about an hour before (so as to not be bloated), piss, and do chores around the house. If your mom is yelling at you to do the dishes, your focus is broken, and there goes your game. If it helps, tell her you can do things at designated breaks you've planned.

-When making the actual game, try to have as minimal distractions as possible. Have some sort of tea or juice next to you to drink, so you can have something while programming. It's all about maintaining your focus.

-Keep the scope in check. Don't add too much stuff. It can still be a fun game if it only lasts 5 minutes.

You're sort of making a mountain out of a molehill. You just gotta remember that 1) you have to make it a quick game, and 2) to maintain your focus. In my experience, I do better work in 1 hour uninterrupted, than 4 hours interrupted every hour.

Also, remember graphics/sound/music: Placeholders until the game is mostly done.

Okay, I'm with you on the 8th!

...but you better make a game anyway, Ashkin.
Wait, you said something about a better game. Suddenly I am not sure if I'm qualified anymore.

Done.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 05:06:31 PM by Theophilus » Logged
TobiasW
Level 8

This can only end brilliantly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: November 17, 2011, 04:57:02 PM »

Okay, I'm with you on the 8th!

...but you better make a game anyway, Ashkin.
Wait, you said something about a better game. Suddenly I am not sure if I'm qualified anymore.

:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: November 17, 2011, 05:00:09 PM »

Oh stop. Both your games will be remembered for generations and will themselves become holiday traditions enjoyed by millions of Christmas/Holiday/Hanukkah observers around the world every single year.
Theophilus
« Reply #108 on: November 17, 2011, 05:07:16 PM »

Errr, I got confused.

TobiasW: Added. I said this in my last post because I thought it was after this one....
Ashkin
« Reply #109 on: November 17, 2011, 05:20:43 PM »

Right-o then. I shall prepare my body for the time at which this event shall take place.
... Goshdarnit what a time to run out of space in my design notebook Angry
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: November 17, 2011, 06:12:37 PM »

your day is the 16th, with eigenbom.

Oh it's on, like donkey kong

Geeze
Level 5

Totally.

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 17, 2011, 09:24:45 PM »

How about extra level packs as a part of TIGAC? Can we do that?

ink.inc
« Reply #112 on: November 17, 2011, 09:31:11 PM »

whatever i make it will be done in game maker and will have ridiculous jiggle physics

you heard it hear first
Ghost
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 18, 2011, 12:19:05 AM »

-On the 8th, ...

Hang on... Aren't I allowed to code on a different day and submit the game on the assigned day? I counted on using a few afternoons as 'one day' Hand Shake LeftCrazyHand Shake Right
Shackhal
Level 9

Like a child with toys

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: November 18, 2011, 11:56:55 AM »

-On the 8th, ...

Hang on... Aren't I allowed to code on a different day and submit the game on the assigned day? I counted on using a few afternoons as 'one day' Hand Shake LeftCrazyHand Shake Right

What i know is to prepare your idea for the game before the chosen day and make all the development in that day.

I'm correct, right everybody?

Ghost
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 18, 2011, 12:04:14 PM »

What if I get a Monday, and I have work?
-No problem. Make your game a day of your choosing. However, it will be submitted on your chosen day. This might be desirable, in fact, so that you may fix bugs or tweak things.

I read this in the opening post as a invitation to work on another day (or even spread out over several evenings) if necessary. As long as I do not sink an absurd amount of time in it.

Theophilus, could you elaborate on what you intended it to be?
Theophilus
« Reply #116 on: November 18, 2011, 01:06:31 PM »

Yes, Ghost, that's exactly right. The one-day 'rule' is mainly to keep the scope in project.

You can work on your game whenever you want, so long as you submit it on your assigned day.

I guess I just used 'the 8th' assuming that he would make it on the 8th.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 01:12:54 PM by Theophilus » Logged
gecko
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: November 18, 2011, 01:34:51 PM »

if there is a free spot to enter, let me know Smiley

Torres Baldi Studio
http://torresbaldi.com
Theophilus
« Reply #118 on: November 18, 2011, 02:42:11 PM »

if there is a free spot to enter, let me know Smiley

There are. About 20. See the first post and tell me which you'd like.
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: November 18, 2011, 06:02:38 PM »

I'm going to do it anyway but I'll ask nicely so that I don't seem like a complete asshole.

Is it okay if I do the concepts/designs beforehand, then do all the execution in one day?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 22
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic