Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411514 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 02:40:11 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)A sumerian guy(new art for my game)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: A sumerian guy(new art for my game)  (Read 6252 times)
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2011, 07:34:42 AM »

Yea, the contour is definitely better since I copied it from a photo. But, this will have to do. :/

Master of all trades.
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2011, 08:09:14 AM »

I prefere more the last version  Smiley

leonelc29
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2011, 10:29:28 AM »

prefer the new one mostly because of the pose. Smiley
Chromanoid
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2011, 11:23:42 AM »

I would like to see both versions on the game board with other assets, then I can better judge the perspective, pose etc.
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2011, 11:51:20 AM »

Good idea.
I have simpley put a different eagle in each army.

Master of all trades.
ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2011, 12:05:27 PM »

Top one for sure, but I'm afraid that he will look worse in the bottom army Sad

PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2011, 12:26:23 PM »

Why he will just be mirrored? I put a different one in the bottom army for comparission, I would just pick on of them.

Master of all trades.
Chromanoid
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2011, 12:35:30 PM »

i suggest to put both versions in both armies. i vote for the upper version, too.
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2011, 11:31:40 AM »

Ok, I made Endiku, he is Gilgamesh's best friend.
I wanted to make him look a bit like a savage, that is why his back is arched. Although he is shaven because he was civilized, by err.. female companions... well it's part of the story. Not sure if I can tell that word here.
I think I have done a better job with the lighting, although maybe I don't have enough contrast.
I didn't give him curls, atlhough in some babylonian or later statues he seems to have curls. However, that might be just a mistake, the curly 'person' is actually the demon Humbaba that Gilgamesh and Endiku killed. So I reserve the curls for Humbaba.

Master of all trades.
Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2011, 02:04:47 PM »

If the board's going to be at that angle, why not have two sprites for each piece? One for facing upward-diagonal and the other downward-diagonal.
ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2011, 02:43:00 PM »

And double the animation amount ^^

PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2011, 10:54:00 PM »

If the board's going to be at that angle, why not have two sprites for each piece? One for facing upward-diagonal and the other downward-diagonal.

I could do that, at some point, though for now it's really unnecessary.

Master of all trades.
Ichigo Jam
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2011, 04:17:31 AM »

A random idea I just thought of: you could rotate the view into isometric, so the main axis of the board is left-to-right across the screen, and mirroring the sideways-facing sprites would then be fine.
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2011, 05:12:36 AM »

A random idea I just thought of: you could rotate the view into isometric, so the main axis of the board is left-to-right across the screen, and mirroring the sideways-facing sprites would then be fine.
I am not sure what you ment, but I did think of rotating the tiles, as to make the tiles diagonal. It was mainly to try and save screen space.
But then someone suggested to squeeze the tiles a bit, so it saved enough screen space.

Also, here is the Griffin. I think the lighting is good but is inconsistent with the rest of the creatures. :/
Edit: I updated the griffin image, fixed the wing.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 07:34:37 AM by PompiPompi » Logged

Master of all trades.
Ichigo Jam
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2011, 06:18:24 AM »

I am not sure what you ment, but I did think of rotating the tiles, as to make the tiles diagonal. It was mainly to try and save screen space.
But then someone suggested to squeeze the tiles a bit, so it saved enough screen space.
I just meant that if you rotated the tiles, then the two armies would be at the left and right sides, rather than the top-left and bottom-right.

In that case, the sprites would look more like they were looking at the opposing team without needing different facing graphics.

Also, here is the Griffin. I think the lighting is good but is inconsistent with the rest of the creatures. :/
The shading on the body is good! But I don't see what shape the wings are supposed to be. The lighting on the wing near the viewer makes it look like it's curving towards us, which doesn't make much sense.

I think this is a problem starting from the line art - it doesn't seem like you're sure what shape the wings are supposed to be. I recommend you use more reference. (The same applies to the griffin's front-right leg which seems to curve rather than having a clear joint.)

Also, maybe try using some more different colours - all your creatures are kind of shades of brown at the moment.
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2011, 07:26:43 AM »

You are right about the wing, I should have done the shadow convex instead of concave.

Edit: I would like you to "analyze" the following screenshot.
It got all the units of one army(except for Gilgamesh, for whom I put a Sumerian solider instead).
I would like you to look for the best shaded creature\character and tell me what other units should be changed for it to be consistent with that "Alpha unit".
You can also say whatever you want and any comments you like, but what I asked would be more helpful for me. I think.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 07:38:49 AM by PompiPompi » Logged

Master of all trades.
Chromanoid
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2011, 03:04:35 PM »

I like it!

I would prefer other ground tiles. Imo they look too "rendered" and "dirty". Something in the style of the figures would be good Smiley.

The griffin should have shadows arround the eyes. The wings of the winged guy look imo much better.
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2012, 11:43:51 PM »

Trying to make new arena background. I think maybe I could benefit from irregular placement of the palm trees, but I am not sure. Please tell me your opinion and advice.

Master of all trades.
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2012, 09:51:35 AM »

Hmm, I need to draw fire properly, and basically a fire projectile.
I have taken the video of the new ability for the griffin. He shoots a projectile which leaves a trail of fire. But the fire I have drawen looks crappy.
Any idea how to draw fire? :/

Master of all trades.
kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2012, 04:26:39 AM »

Oh well,

GIMP.

Or a small, cute fire:

« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 04:35:47 AM by kamac » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4