Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411528 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 01:15:28 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsWhere to begin?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Where to begin?  (Read 1947 times)
Krammeh
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 20, 2011, 04:28:26 PM »

Hey guys and gals,

I am looking to get started in game programming. I just don't really know where to start! I have a little bit of experience in VB6 (first language that I used), and I have a heavy amount of experience in PHP.

I am just wondering what language you think that would be best for me to start up game development! I would need it to have a 3D engine, although not going to get into that to start with, of course!

Thanks in advance for any hints & tips!
Kramlack
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 05:58:26 PM »

There's only room for one Kram- in these here parts.
wademcgillis
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 08:02:31 PM »

I henceforth am declarin' that there be a shootout around these here parts at high noon tomorra.

Durr...?
Theophilus
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 09:13:46 PM »

If you want to do more logic-programming than engine-programming, I suggest Unity. You can code in JavaScript, C#, and I think something else though I'm not sure.

Other than that, maybe openGL is for you.
Sakar
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 10:38:05 AM »

If you're more interested in making games (which I'd assume you are), then I'd go with Unity. It's a 3D engine that's powerful, easy to use, and free. You can also do 2D looking games in it without much effort.
Serapth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 11:03:31 AM »

Hey guys and gals,

I am looking to get started in game programming. I just don't really know where to start! I have a little bit of experience in VB6 (first language that I used), and I have a heavy amount of experience in PHP.

I am just wondering what language you think that would be best for me to start up game development! I would need it to have a 3D engine, although not going to get into that to start with, of course!

Thanks in advance for any hints & tips!

I would read this to start.  It is a much more thorough answer than the one I can give you here, which is... it depends.

It depends mostly on you and you don't have the ability to answer the questions that it depends on until you know to ask them.  Welcome to the catch-22 that is learning to program! Smiley

That said, you really can't make a bad decision at this point, unless you try really really really hard.  I mean, yeah, you could start with QBasic or Brainf*k I suppose, but almost any other choice will lead to you learning what you need to know in one manner or another. Hell, even QBasic would get you there with a minimum amount of pain ( not so much brainf*k ). As to what choice works out best, again, that will come down to you.  For example, Python is a very good starting language, with good tools and support and frankly I hate it.  Not for any particularly good reason, I simply do, I hate it.  Thats why, for me, it is a lousy choice, but for you might still be a very good one.  Don't get me wrong, I *could* program in Python and frankly I would probably be quite productive, I would simply be miserable the whole time.

I like that you've put 3D off for the time being, this is good.  Focus on the here and now and worry about the end game a little bit later.  That you have prior programming experience is a very good thing, and will make the process much faster, but you still need to learn to program before you can learn to program games, which I believe you have already acknowledged.

Many recommend Unity right off the hop, but I think this is a mistake.  I would recommend you start with one of the Unity supported langauges ( C#, Boo or Javascript ) and conquer them first then switch to Unity.  It's a very cool environment and hides a great deal of complexity from you... until it doesn't, then it takes an epic bite sized chunk out of your ass leaving you saying "wow, I really wish I listened to Serapth before jumping in with both feet first!".  Then again, it's also a lot more fun the writing lame command line calculator apps for a month, so I very much get the appeal, I really do.

So, TL;DR, read the first link I posted, the rest of this post was mostly just the ramblings of a bitter twisted mind.
Krammeh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 03:13:19 AM »

Thanks for the input guys! I shall set to reading up the linked posts and make a decision! I shall certainly let you all know how it goes! Smiley

There's only room for one Kram- in these here parts.

Haha! When shall the fight commence!? We could even have a code-off one day Tongue
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic