Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411525 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 03:57:11 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallSQUARE a free, arcade and experimental FLASH game
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: SQUARE a free, arcade and experimental FLASH game  (Read 3808 times)
EtiennePerin
Level 0

Muscle !

View Profile WWW
« on: November 23, 2011, 06:46:54 AM »

The main idea behind this project was to make a fun and addictive arcade game with only Squares, that would look like an abstract painting. I tried to create somethings "new", but in the end the concept can remind in certain way the game "Snake".

Part of my inspiration came from the Op'art, and most notably from Bridget Riley's work...
The result doesn't look like her painting at all...  Wink

Square is kind of a sequel to my previous game Gauge (http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=21900.msg621836#msg621836). It share with it the art direction and the minimalistic aspect. In fact, I created Square's first prototype the same week I made Gauge's prototype. It was 9 months ago... 9 months with this game in my mind! Wow!... I didn't worked on it 9 months straight of course (I think the real production took me around 5 months) but still, I 'm so relieved to release it now!

I hope you'll enjoy it!
I'm looking forward to read your comments and see your scores!

November 28th, 2011: Square has been updated with slight changes that may alter your scores.
Therefore the leaderboard has been reseted. Thank you for your patience in this matter.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 05:17:33 AM by EtiennePerin » Logged

st33d
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 08:28:38 AM »

Quite like it. I think I got trapped at one point. Is that fair? Or did I just not realise there was a way out?
EtiennePerin
Level 0

Muscle !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 08:43:41 AM »

It's possible yeah.

It doesn't happen so often, but sometimes a hole can appear under you (in the higgest levels). So yeah, the game become a little unfair the harder it get.

When you'll get used to the game, you'll learn how to anticipate that kind of situations. Wink
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 09:29:16 AM by EtiennePerin » Logged

ortoslon
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 11:36:20 AM »

reminds me of Chain Reaction (

)
EtiennePerin
Level 0

Muscle !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 11:52:19 AM »

reminds me of Chain Reaction (

)
Ho... Wow! I 've never saw this game before... Your right ! It seems really cool, I'm gonna try it immediatly.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 11:55:03 AM »

I love the aesthetics of the game.  Everything from the sounds to the colors to the way the game starts right out of the title screen.  Fantastic!

EtiennePerin
Level 0

Muscle !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 12:35:52 AM »

I love the aesthetics of the game.  Everything from the sounds to the colors to the way the game starts right out of the title screen.  Fantastic!

Thank you, of course I spend a lot of time on the game mechanics and tunning, but the aesthetics, and the ergonomic aspect took me much more time in fact... Smiley

astrofra
Level 3

CG Hoister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 12:42:44 PM »

Wow. I'm amazed by the perfect balance of game design, graphic design and sound/music!
I love how you pushed the envelope, even in the help screen is beautiful.... The colors, the font you've chosen :')  Epileptic Grin

Goodis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 10:44:24 PM »

I need to try this ASAP
Goodis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 04:34:54 AM »

Yeah as expected it's quite awesome.
Can't go far yet though, I m pretty bad.
EtiennePerin
Level 0

Muscle !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2011, 04:52:43 AM »

Yeah as expected it's quite awesome.
Can't go far yet though, I m pretty bad.
A small advise : to reach hi-scores, you have to take the bombe (the blue square) when your "9 gauge" (in the upper left corner) is almost full, this way you'll clear the area, and you'll be able to take all the "9 square". Wink

astrofra
Level 3

CG Hoister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2011, 11:55:15 AM »

Given that simplistic design, I would be ace to have this game on both mobile phones & tablets. However, I can't think of a straight adaptation of the controls...

Maybe by sliding your finger on the square/player, and snapping the axis?

Edit : the lack of keypad on a touch device is not much an issue (if we disregard the sad attemps to port classic titles on iPhone with an emulated paddle), but there surely is something to improve in the area.

EtiennePerin
Level 0

Muscle !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2011, 08:54:57 AM »

Well... This is a game designed for keyboards. Most of the time, I'm designing game uppon the device. This game couldn't exist without a keyboard or at least real buttons to press. I already tried to design a joypad control for it, but it was less accurate an less interesting.

Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2011, 01:38:44 PM »

I also wouldn't call it quite fair when the bombes keep showing up in holes. It's also pretty neat to get a small bonus for being on a hole before it fully opens.
EtiennePerin
Level 0

Muscle !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2011, 02:21:31 AM »

I also wouldn't call it quite fair when the bombes keep showing up in holes. It's also pretty neat to get a small bonus for being on a hole before it fully opens.
It seems that the "small bonus", turn to be a huge one if you at look the the latest hi-score from Outchaie... (http://etienneperin.com/games/square/leaderboard/1/122).  Crazy

Outchaie if you read me: you are a mutant. Beer!

kasrak
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2011, 10:30:42 AM »

Whoa, this is awesome. I love how seamless it all is! I immediately got into the game. Perffffeccct.

Seriously, well done. It's delightfully simple  Smiley
EtiennePerin
Level 0

Muscle !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2011, 12:59:32 PM »

Outchaie if you read me: you are a mutant. Beer!

Ok it seems that Outchaie wasn't a mutant but only found a bug in the game... therefore, I had to update the game a resting the leaderboard...

I'm really sorry for thoses who submited scores, but now the game is much more fair regarding the scores.

EtiennePerin
Level 0

Muscle !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2011, 01:01:39 PM »

Whoa, this is awesome. I love how seamless it all is! I immediately got into the game. Perffffeccct.

Seriously, well done. It's delightfully simple  Smiley

Thanks a lots kasrak, I hope this update won't alter your experience with the game... Concerned

Mobigame
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2011, 03:38:32 AM »

very neat game! simple and rewarding, loving it.
EtiennePerin
Level 0

Muscle !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2011, 02:25:27 AM »

Thank you Mobigame !
For your information the game is now on Kongregate Wink

http://www.kongregate.com/games/EtiennePxrin/square

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic