Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:10:52 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMicRogue - New Build - July 11th
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 30
Print
Author Topic: MicRogue - New Build - July 11th  (Read 77687 times)
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: November 23, 2011, 08:26:48 PM »

Okay Guys so I am going to try and make a game during the thanksgiving break. it may or may not happen, but we will see. I will be reusing a lot of code and art to speed up the process. The project will be done in flash, with the possibility of transferring over to Iphone, if the game is any good. I am going to try and update this devlog so everyone can keep track. Feedback would be greatly appreciated as it will help me out.

Mockup:

Okay so its a simplistic Roguelike. The player will have 10 HP, and every enemy dies in 1 hit. now usually a player would dive deeper in the dungeon fighting harder and harder monsters and defeat the boss. Well in this the Player does not go any deeper. They are given a wave of Enemies. after that wave is defeated the player is healed and then braces for the next wave. Its basically taking Horde mode from most popular FPS games and using it in a Roguelike setting. the wave will be very small and an entire game should take about 2 to 4 minutes. My goal is bite sized gameplay.

Current Build:
- land generation
- Player Movement
- Monster AI
- One Monster Type (Purple Slimes)

Next Build Goal:
- Monster Caves (Monster Spawn Points)
- Enemy Waves
- Place Holder UI
- First Boss Monster

My next Post will cover one of the following subjects. what would you like to hear about.
- Land Generation
- Spells
- Monsters
- Art

and as always leave me some feedback and any ideas you have

P.S. I also need a name. I was thinking MiniRogue but I don't know if I like it. sounds pretty generic.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 11:45:49 AM by JasonPickering » Logged

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 08:31:55 PM »

yeah I need to. its so generic. OOOOOOO how about MicroRogue.  Cheesy

wademcgillis
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 08:41:08 PM »

FEMTOROGUE  Big Laff
Theophilus
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 10:06:31 PM »

Love the graphics you have going on. I think i remember posting a procedural generation concept for you with a mockup.
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 11:30:11 PM »

nummy pixels u got there

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 05:10:24 AM »

Thanks guys. Right now I have idles in and enemies explode in satisfying little clouds of dust.

Theophilus: was it for the island generation code? Right now I have small islands built similar to the Rooms in Zelda. Still trying to figure out what to do for the land mass. Not sure if I want just one big island with stuff on it or not.

PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 05:25:38 AM »

I think of all aspects of the game, the most difficult one is balancing a randomly generated game. I don't have many wise things to say about this, I am not sure how to do it myself. Except for maybe tons of playtesting.

For a name I think some sort of background or what kind of game\settings this game has.
The charcter looks like a dwarf or a bearded guy.

Maybe call it "Monsters annoyance". lol. Or "Monsterous pests".
You probably want a light hearted name?

Master of all trades.
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 06:39:53 AM »

"Worst Vacation Ever"

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 06:50:14 AM »

Yea, heh. Only an indie dev can think of free time to relax as an opportunity to work on a game.

Master of all trades.
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2011, 06:57:59 AM »

Nah, I mean could be the title. Add some palm trees, make the hero dressed in sunglasses and trunks. Or just keep it as is

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2011, 10:31:43 AM »

Hurrah, DevLog! Smiley

Name ideas:

Waves & Caves
Monster Isles
Crush the Rush (ok, getting silly now)
jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2011, 10:42:02 AM »

it's so cute  Kiss
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2011, 12:12:11 PM »

Thanks guys. Still trying to figure out animation. I have idles left and right. Not sure if I want to do attacks. I would like to, but it might be hard to animate. Also enemies explode in a nice puff of smoke

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2011, 12:16:02 PM »

You could have the enemies and players bash into each other with the victim bouncing away and shaking left/right a few pixels before returning to their square.

BTW: I think the grass might be a tad too bright and vibrant..?
Sir Raptor
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2011, 02:53:23 PM »

yeah I need to. its so generic. OOOOOOO how about MicroRogue.  Cheesy
MICROGUE
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2011, 11:04:02 PM »

Update.
- Monster Caves (Monster Spawn Points)
- Enemy Waves
- Place Holder UI

Not much has changed in the current Mockup. I added a new health bar. going from one to ten. each heart is 2 Pieces. I also created a goblin sprite. enemies die in a puff of smoke, and when they strike you there is a spray of blood (this may change). I have the caves in and spawning enemies and the full wave system should go in tomorrow. the goal now is 3 waves and then the boss.

So today I am going to talk about Monsters. the only monster I currently have in is the slime (Which will be swapped out for the rat). they are the most basic no special death. Now all monsters die with one hit and do one damage to you. They all have the same movement code. The strategy for them comes into their death sequences. Enemies are replacing spells in this game. Each enemy will have a unique death that affects gameplay in some way. some examples are

1. so perhaps you attack the skeleton. The skeleton falls into a pile of bones and lasts 3 turns. this is impassable and its effectively a wall. so killing a skeleton will protect you from that side for 3 turns.

2. Slimes when they die, will leave behind a purple puddle, this puddle will then do 1 damage to whoever walks on it. that would damage you, but it would kill an enemy

3. Goblins explode on Death in an x pattern. doing damage to anything in the 4 diagonals to them. now its totally possible to get a line of these and have them go off like dominoes.

so in the above mockup, you could kill the slime to the Left of you, the goblin would step forward touching the purple and being killed. he would then detonate hitting the skeletons above and below you creating two walls.

So the next hurdle is adding the Boss monsters. I will start with one to begin with, and hope to expand it from there. the main reason the sprites are so small is so I can play with the size and still keep it tile based. it always annoyed me in roguelikes when I was the same size as a dragon. by doing the base people as smaller I can make large things seem larger, but mechanically and gameplay wise they are the same.

So any comments or suggestions. let me hear them. I am hoping to get a lot done tomorrow and maybe I can post a build once I have Death and winning in.

P.s all the names are hilarious. I really like MicRogue. I dont know if it fits to well here, because I probably want to do something with the name to signify Horde mode. I haven't decided yet.

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2011, 11:13:03 PM »

You could be direct and call it "Horde Rogue". For me the game does have a certain charming ring to it. Think about it!

Anyway, I think this game looks really nice and as always it's nice to see how thoughtful you are over every detail of your games. I think enemies such as the skeleton and the orc(? green thing!) could use something to set them apart from the background. Readability is somewhat low for them as you're quite possibly aware and certainly dreading.

I like how the boss is larger than a single tile. I don't see anything wrong with a game breaking out of the bounds of a tile for sprite size and I wish more games like this would do it. Also consider multi-tile monsters. Making them take up multiple tile spaces would certainly make sense. And who knows, it might lead to some interesting gating strategies? I don't know!

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2011, 11:21:48 PM »

yes I agree that the skeleton and the goblin could be a bit more readable. Currently I dont have the tileset confirmed, because I dont have the island generation code confirmed, so until I get the tileset confirmed I will hold off doin any color correction stuff. I also hope to do several types of islands. maybe a volcano island, snow island and this island. I would then have different guys and bosses depending on location.

I like the idea of multi tile bosses and being chased by a giant monster would be great, but that's going to be further down the line. I need to make sure that the player wont be able to kite the monster and get an easy kill.

negativeview
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2011, 04:48:21 AM »

I'm really digging the idea of it being very strategic. With just three enemies I can already see this game getting ridiculously hard with more than a handful of them.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2011, 05:33:08 AM »

Yeah I am thinking 5 or  6 per area

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 30
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic